• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Just a question regarding Cambridge and Maths (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Currently we're doing Permutations and Combinations at school. I cant seem to find this topic in year 11 or year 12 Cambridge (both 3 unit books).

I think I have the 2000 version of Cambridge prelim and 2004 version of Cambridge HSC.

So the question is, is it supposed to be in there and it's just me who cant find it, or are my books outdated?

Also, should I get Fitzpatrick and study both Cambridge and Fitzpatrick? will this help?

Thanks!

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
lol, I can find it in the Cambridge 3 unit HSC book...

I don't know what year mine is.. but it says it was first published in 2000, and reprinted in 2001 and 2002 on the copyright page..

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Permutations and Combinations is a fair way into the HSC course for my school. For someone who is doing preliminary maths at the moment, you seem to be rather far ahead compared to most schools.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Currently we're doing Permutations and Combinations at school. I cant seem to find this topic in year 11 or year 12 Cambridge (both 3 unit books).

I think I have the 2000 version of Cambridge prelim and 2004 version of Cambridge HSC.

So the question is, is it supposed to be in there and it's just me who cant find it, or are my books outdated?

Also, should I get Fitzpatrick and study both Cambridge and Fitzpatrick? will this help?

Thanks!
It should be the very end of Year 12 3U Cambridge. :S

tehrobzorz

HSC
regarding these textbooks, it seems that they're not being published anymore...or is it me =X
I can't seem to find the coroneos or fitzpatrick books anywhere 0_0! yet everyone talks about them.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Permutations and Combinations is a fair way into the HSC course for my school. For someone who is doing preliminary maths at the moment, you seem to be rather far ahead compared to most schools.
I've seen permutations and combinations questions in a year 11 3 unit half yearly from Hornsby Girls.. I don't think they do the topics in order.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm.. so for the books,

Cambridge Prelim & HSC - I already have
Terry lee HSC - Already have

So I should get -

J.B. Fitzpatrick - I cant seem to find it at dymocks or other book stores, only the 4unit version is at dmocks, also is this book 3unit year 11 & 12 combined? if yes then it's one this online book store
Temple Books :: Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, TAFE Colleges, Libraries - Online Book Shop, NSW Syllabus Text Books (just search author Fitzpatrick)

Terry lee
Coroneos
Couchman?
Excel??

-----

Any suggestions would be excellent as to which of the above are worth getting.

Coroneos books can be found here - Coroneos Publishing Company P/L

-----

thanks once again

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
hmm.. so for the books,

Cambridge Prelim & HSC - I already have
Terry lee HSC - Already have

So I should get -

J.B. Fitzpatrick - I cant seem to find it at dymocks or other book stores, only the 4unit version is at dmocks, also is this book 3unit year 11 & 12 combined? if yes then it's one this online book store
Temple Books :: Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, TAFE Colleges, Libraries - Online Book Shop, NSW Syllabus Text Books (just search author Fitzpatrick)

Terry lee
Coroneos
Couchman?
Excel??

-----

Any suggestions would be excellent as to which of the above are worth getting.

Coroneos books can be found here - Coroneos Publishing Company P/L

-----

thanks once again
If you do want to save money on a brand new book, there are a few second hand textbook shops around.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Dymocks on George St in the City has all of them.

If you do want to save money on a brand new book, there are a few second hand textbook shops around.
Really? I bought my previous maths books and some economics books from BoS members but any info regarding the shops would be extremely helpful :)

Gunner_Fly

HSC
What exactly is the point in getting two different maths books? Couldn't that just potentially confuse you?

studentcheese

HSC
Yeah, Cambridge doesn't seem to have Double Angle Formulae, T Angle Results, etc. I'd say get another textbook.

K

khorne

Because different authors explain things differently. Fitzpatrick tend to be very strong in Integration/Calc etc, but cambridge seem clearer with Conics etc.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yeah, Cambridge doesn't seem to have Double Angle Formulae, T Angle Results, etc. I'd say get another textbook.
Cambridge covers that in the Year 12 3unit.

@ OP: Don't get too bogged up in textbooks. Trust me (a lot of other Year 12s and older will tell you this), past papers are the way to go.
Just get Fitzy and Cambridge, quickly go through it all and DON'T do every single damn question ==;;
After you've grasped the concept and done a few questions, grab some past papers from the resources part of this site/HSC past paper books and do them. They are much more useful than doing every extension question from Cambridge or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)