Just Checked University Guide-2006 & guess what? (1 Viewer)

Zafar azam

HSC
N/A
Hello folks, I just had a look @ University guide- 2006. I found that graduate unemployment rates are really high (mostly betweeen 30%-40%) with IT/ComSC grad, even gradutes from top Uni like UNSW,USYD are unemployed. I have this feeling most them are victim of yr-2000 boom-time IT trend. Hope things improve in coming years.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i've heard from 'unreliable' sources that the market has been picking up a little this year

=)

Zafar azam

HSC
N/A
Huratio---->From what source u got that info? just wondering.

Carez

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Huratio is right, almost all IT grads that I know have scored graduate jobs for next year (including myself). There are plenty of positions out there, the problem these days is they cant find the right people for the grad jobs!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Zafar azam said:
Hello folks, I just had a look @ University guide- 2006. I found that graduate unemployment rates are really high (mostly betweeen 30%-40%) with IT/ComSC grad, even gradutes from top Uni like UNSW,USYD are unemployed. I have this feeling most them are victim of yr-2000 boom-time IT trend. Hope things improve in coming years.
I have a feeling that's bullshit. There's a shortage of IT people.

ANU certainly has a near 100% employement rate for comp sci grads.

Of course, it could be that a portion of IT people are just really annoying and nobody wants to hire them, no matter how good they are? So I'd definitely focus on your communication skills. :)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
What about the job prospects for computer engineering jobs?, it is part of the IT sector i think.

MikiRei

HSC
Hmmmmm - maybe those ppl weren't looking in the right places? I've started to fish around for internships these days and yes, it's hard to look not because there's not enough but there's quite a lot of information to fish around and you kinda get lost admist all of it.

Anywayz, the IT fields gonna pick up soonish BECAUSE of the IT crash. Right now, everyone's lost interest to it (hence the big drop in UAI) and so what's gonna happen is the IT field is gonna be lacking people to fill in positions. Since it's been a while since the IT crash, in a couple of years time, the number of positions to be filled is gonna rise exponentially. It's gonna improve I say - provided
1. People know where to look and
2. The IT industry be a little better in trying to recruit :p

JBakaka

HSC
yea i agree
i think that after we newer people graduate there should be a pickup - although it might be because of new fields opening up cos you never know when someone will discover something big
so i guess i'll just have to go to uni and see how the prospects are at the end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)