Just dropped a unit (1 Viewer)

Kralex

HSC
Hey guys I just dropped a unit (my dreams of talking in Spanish are over hahaha) before the study census date which means I won't be fined academically or financially but the thing is I've past the date in which I can roll in first half year internal units???

What now?

Do I just continue as is??

edit:

If anyone wanted to know why:

We had a quiz today and I thought it would be easy basic stuff like numbers, colours and the alphabet. I was wrong and definitely got lower than 60% and even though I may pass I definitely can't keep it up.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
You can either:
1) ask student admin whether you can still enrol in another unit (maybe they will let since it is still early in the semester), or
2)you can leave it as it is and make up for it in summer semester (so you can graduate with everyone else), or
3)you can overload next semester or some other semester (assuming you are doing well and they let you), OR
4) to add another semester of uni all together, so instead of graduating in 3 years you will graduate in 3.5 year, and you can chill by doing 3out of 4 subjects for another few semesters by spreading a few subjects into that 0.5 year you will have.

But aren't you a bit too hasty to drop? I remember i got 50% in my first uni quiz and felt completely devastated...stuck with it and managed a high credit in the end.

Last edited:

witide

HSC
definitely way to hasty to drop

next time think before doing something radical

previous post has all your options

Kralex

HSC
No I think it was definitely a good idea to drop. In these 3 weeks I discovered I don't have the patience or will to learn a new language.

I didn't understand more than 80% of the test and it was supposed to be easy. The teacher says she'll be using 90% spanish and I barely understand it while the rest of the class is content.

We're supposed to be able to use verbs comfortable already and I can't put them into sentences at all..

edit:

Cheers by the way guys, you've been helpful.

I think I'll take the option of the 3.5 year graduation with doing only 1 unit in my last semester so I can find a job in that semester too.

edit2:

I just want to clarify that it was well thought. I had discussed it with my parents and was thinking about it for the last couple of days :) The test just really hit the spot.

Last edited:

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
they can usually add you into a course manually if you ask nicely; contact the relevant subject coordinator and your program convenor/program officer (or whatever they call them at your uni)

spence

HSC
definitely way to hasty to drop

next time think before doing something radical

previous post has all your options
Dropping a subject is hardly doing something radical

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
My experience is not far from you. Mine was a math course and I did not understand 99% of the content. I couldn't even do a single tutorial question (no kidding) and I haven't a clue what the lecturer is talking about most of the time.
When we were doing the class test the tutor looked at the paper and laughed and said 'this is too easy'. When the result was handed down we had to sign a piece of paper with the class's mark on it and I took a glimpse at what other people got and most got full mark or close to full mark. :l

Anywho since you've already dropped no point looking back just do what you think is best for you.

assiduous

HSC
Hey guys I just dropped a unit (my dreams of talking in Spanish are over hahaha) before the study census date which means I won't be fined academically or financially but the thing is I've past the date in which I can roll in first half year internal units???

What now?

Do I just continue as is??

edit:

If anyone wanted to know why:

We had a quiz today and I thought it would be easy basic stuff like numbers, colours and the alphabet. I was wrong and definitely got lower than 60% and even though I may pass I definitely can't keep it up.
aww. BTW I just read your post here about the book: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=256348&p=5293202&viewfull=1#post5293202
I got the seventh edition and I paid $140 approx.
How many classes for Spanish did you have? I am going to have my second tutorial tmr and I haven't done the readings yet. :(

Surprisingly the only unit I've worked really hard for so far is Spanish!

Last edited:

Kralex

HSC
aww. BTW I just read your post here about the book: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=256348&p=5293202&viewfull=1#post5293202
I got the seventh edition and I paid $140 approx.
How many classes for Spanish did you have? I am going to have my second tutorial tmr and I haven't done the readings yet. :(

Surprisingly the only unit I've worked really hard for so far is Spanish!
I had 2 2 hour classes a week and the teachings were really fast paced :\

assiduous

HSC
I had 2 2 hour classes a week and the teachings were really fast paced :\
Wow but you have more class time then me! I only have 2hr tutorial. and the occasional face-to-face lecture.

Kralex

HSC
Wow but you have more class time then me! I only have 2hr tutorial. and the occasional face-to-face lecture.
face to face lectures? I think maybe the teaching at your university is different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)