Just wondering.. (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've accepted an offer from Mac for B Arts which I'm looking at majoring Sociology...I also want to do a double degree and add in commerce when I can.
Would it be better in terms of future jobs to do majors that relate e.g. Commerce- major in HR or would it be better to have different areas?

Sorry for the noob question. Thanks in advance :)

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
I think some companies/government pay double degree that complements each a one-time extra payment like $1000-1500 or something.

Other than that do what major you like the most and can get the most out of.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I'll be frank.
An arts degree isn't worth much.
in fact it doesn't qualify you for anything except for probably public service jobs, and a few other niches where employers look for any tertiary educated graduates and skim the top from there. (it's rare to find arts graduates to go through without connections)

You'd be learning more towards your commerce side for stability i think, and I guess that is where you will be employed, unless you want to work for the public service.
Or unless you have business connections.
Realistically you'd be wanting to go into fields that would provide more stability, so things like accounting ,HR would be better than marketing.
But if you have a passion for marketing then go for that too.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'll be frank.
An arts degree isn't worth much.
in fact it doesn't qualify you for anything except for probably public service jobs, and a few other niches where employers look for any tertiary educated graduates and skim the top from there. (it's rare to find arts graduates to go through without connections)

You'd be learning more towards your commerce side for stability i think, and I guess that is where you will be employed, unless you want to work for the public service.
Or unless you have business connections.
Realistically you'd be wanting to go into fields that would provide more stability, so things like accounting ,HR would be better than marketing.
But if you have a passion for marketing then go for that too.
Don't listen to this guy, that's a load of shit, you're going to have trouble finding a job unless you're in an ultra niche position, whether you're studying science, business, law or arts. Why? Because you're graduating with a fuckload of people who are applying for the same jobs going through the same courses and same qualifications and same experiences.

Don't take the 'normal' or 'usual' pathway, because frankly, 6-9 thousand students do that every year. Do what you want, build up your experiences, and see what opportunities arise.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Don't listen to this guy, that's a load of shit, you're going to have trouble finding a job unless you're in an ultra niche position, whether you're studying science, business, law or arts. Why? Because you're graduating with a fuckload of people who are applying for the same jobs going through the same courses and same qualifications and same experiences.

Don't take the 'normal' or 'usual' pathway, because frankly, 6-9 thousand students do that every year. Do what you want, build up your experiences, and see what opportunities arise.
I've read your post a number of times and I'm having quite some trouble understanding your point.
How does that rebut any of my points?

Your argument, if indeed my interpretation is correct is:
that it will be hard finding a job regardless of discipline, whether it be a bachelor of laws/science/business, or arts, because there are always many thousands graduating at the same time as you.

Is that a fair assumption?

If that is indeed a fair assumption, how does that relate to the points I made in my previous post?

My points being:
1. An arts degree is not worth much to prospective employers.
2. It doesn't qualify you for anything except to fulfill the 'tertiary educated' requirement found on a number of government job positions.
3. OP should be leaning more towards majors which would provide more stability, areas like HR and accounting.

Does that in any way detract from the previous points I've raised?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've read your post a number of times and I'm having quite some trouble understanding your point.
How does that rebut any of my points?

Your argument, if indeed my interpretation is correct is:
that it will be hard finding a job regardless of discipline, whether it be a bachelor of laws/science/business, or arts, because there are always many thousands graduating at the same time as you.

Is that a fair assumption?

If that is indeed a fair assumption, how does that relate to the points I made in my previous post?

My points being:
1. An arts degree is not worth much to prospective employers.
2. It doesn't qualify you for anything except to fulfill the 'tertiary educated' requirement found on a number of government job positions.
3. OP should be leaning more towards majors which would provide more stability, areas like HR and accounting.

Does that in any way detract from the previous points I've raised?
Because of your assumption of an Art degrees relatively lack of worth. You're misunderstanding 'qualifications' with skills and graduate capabilities, just because one graduates, does not entail and impress upon them this mystical 'knowledge', in fact its the opposite. I posit the situation of doctoral graduates who are graduating with the 'qualifications' to be a doctor-in-training but who are finding it difficult to find a job due to their communication abilities that were not taught as part of their degree. In the same way, your dismissal of an Arts degree is actually the very reason why it IS desirable, because the person you're competing against probably does not have the experience of being able to communicate in a completely different way that is gleamed from a typical business degree. Arts and the humanities encompass a wide variety of disciplines, each asking you to be able to critically analyse content, develop a hypothesis and then deliver a sustained and critical argument, a trait highly unlikely in business orientated subjects. The idea that a 3-5 year undergraduate degree will fill you with the necessary information, experience and skills needed to be an 'expert' is the biggest misconception about university, it will fill you with the bare minimum, however if that bare minimum is in a singular field, you better hope that you get a job otherwise you're limited in terms of your study, experiences etc.

Your point on 'stability' and 'qualifications' fails to take these into account, and frankly shows a bit of misunderstanding of how the job market is reacting to these degree factories that universities have become.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)