• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

king lear productions (1 Viewer)

trinity

so yeh, we went to the King Lear today at the Pact theatre- (btw, it goes until 7th June) ummmm it was alright... different to the Bondi production, it had a huge video component and they were all wearing white... there was no overall reading but i suppose u could manipulate it into being a feminist reading.

it is the same as last yr (with a couple of different actors) & the website from then is at www.cuttheatre.com.au and they said they would update it at the end of the productions.

neone else seen it? and i have to say that the Edgar is heaps better than at Bondi! but they were all young except Lear, and Kent was a girl...oh and most ppl had like 2 roles ie. Cordelia was also Oswald, Gloucester was also Albany etc...

hope that helps :D:D:D:D:D

ellipsis

HSC
Yeah I really liked it actually, I think it will be way easier to talk about than the Bondi one, because they actually changed stuff, and then you can talk about why...and yeah, so good.

Some of the changes...Burgundy was gone, the Fool was gone. They did cut a fair bit out (only 2 hours, :D ) and shuffled some stuff around...it didn't seem disjointed or like there were heaps of gaps though, so it worked. There were only 8 actors, and the multiple roles thing was confusing at the start, but was ok by the end.Their fight scenes were way way better than those fake ones at Bondi. :cool:

Not everyone liked it though...my friend beside me just kept drawing sqiggles instead of taking any notes :p

I'm saying its Feminist. It was so weird in the interview afterwards, the director seemed to have no purpose, but she did say something about changing male/female power balances by having Kent and Oswald as women. Also, Lear was quite rude and loud, so you could understand them chucking him out, so the sisters didn't seem so evil.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
huh? i dont get it. cut theatre isnt the same as erskinville, is it? coz the website 4 the cut theatre 1 says august 2003. and the pact theatre dsnt have anything on it about lear! so i have just e maild them 2 c whats goin on.

chip

HSC
the one at the pact and the one at uni nsw is the same productions

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so does that mean that instead of seeing it in August i can go to pact and see the same thing now?? coz thats pretty cool coz aug is a bit late

trinity

yeh, i heard that it was originally scheduled for August, but they moved it to May cos all the HSC students and teachers complained that it was too late in the year... so yes I think it is the same performance but rescheduled
oh and cut theatre is the name of the company and pact theatre is the place in erskineville where it is held

chip

HSC
yeh if you go now you will be seeing the same show...... my english teacher said this one was excellent and makes it easy to write about costume and setting because it is so different

Cleolia

Originally posted by mlagana
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NOTES FOR THE BONDI PRODUCTION OR A VIDEO PRODUCTION I CAN GO HIRE OUT?

SERIOUS>??!?!?
i am in the only clas sin my year doing it!
everyone else is doing donne
and i think one or two doing speeches

lear sucks :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)