Language and Gender (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
our school could only get one copy so our teacher is going to have to copy the whole book lols, but it sounds interesting, we going to study all four texts:

EDIT: we have all recieved out own copy of the floor of heaven and it is fantastic :d

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i really hate the assessment task that we've got, and its due next week and no-one in class is comfortable with the topic, but it for some reason no that i have written more of my essay, i have realised we have done more work than it appears and it is actually interesting and enjoyable (i'd never thought i would say that) and i love all my ORM/ORT cause there is so much to choose from. But i am starting to feel more comfortable with it now so yay!

Lex152

HSC
What's orm/ort?

I'm still having a little difficulty taking a thesis that doesn't turn into feminism reincarnate...
I see bias in this course :S

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i agree with the bias occuring within the course, all the women in the texts seem to have a "traditional" aspect If you know what i mean. I've come up with a thesis but whats hard is trying to steer clear of just feminism and gender roles, but according to the new syllabus thing
MODULE C: Language and Values
Elective 2: Language and Gender
In this elective students explore through texts drawn from a range of media the idea that part of the role of language is to express and create the social identity of the speaker, of which gender is an important element. Students investigate, challenge and evaluate the ways in which language can be used to construct, perform or conceal masculine or feminine aspects of identity and their associated values through characters, voices and contexts. Language may express gender, but it also may provide a means of escaping strict limitations of conventional roles and values. There is a dynamic spectrum of possibilities and great flexibility in texts, as composers create voices and characters, and as characters themselves explore and challenge language and gender codes. Texts provide a playful and experimental space in which composers explore questions of identity through their language.

In this elective students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other examples in this elective. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media and should reflect the interrelationships between language, gender and value
so were meant to look at gender roles and how they are created, but not focus on it, so its kind of a catch 22 situation

ORM/ORT = other related material/other related texts so texts of your own choosing.

Lex152

HSC
uh oh... We just had an assessment task, and I focused on the genders in themselves and not their depiction, because if I focused on their depiction then I knew I would fall into the disempowered female gender paradigm... because our current perceptions of power (values) reflect a male definition (in my opinion). That is to say that our concept of power has been derived from the male psyche, as women have adopted male professionalism.

This is opposed to a discourse created to find a balanced definition of power, negotiated between the previous gender dominated structures.

Yeah, I used the gender theorists that our teacher provided us, but if I can pull a decent in mark in this assessment then I will ask my teacher if I can ditch some gender theorists for post structural theorists and take up a deconstruction inspired thesis. If this is not possible and/or I get an indecent mark I am dropping the course.

If this is the case, as the syllabus seems to clearly point out then I find the course somewhat limiting in it's discussion of meaning by severing the connection texts have with our society. However I come across this problem frequently and wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

*Fingers crossed* I had found a thesis I would enjoy studying :S

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
exactly the course is basically a contradiction in itself. You must let us know how you go in that assessment. I have theory that gender does not exist and that the texts create a gender unique to their own.

themerald

HSC
hey im doing it too, just finished Orlando, did anyone actually enjoy the whole book?? I've never been happier to finish a book personally. :confused:
I didn't even know crime fiction was an option, i wish i could have done that.

-xDan

HSC
Lotta Bumping there,
Im doing Fowles's French Lieutenants atm.
however were doing Orlando in the near future Its a film right?
Not too sure about the 12hr night thing thou. Our other prescribed text is a novel by Italo Calvino, If on a winters night a traveller.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
well textual dynamics watches the movie, while gender and language read the book it was adapted from. Yes i hated the book and couldn't wait to finsih the stupid thing. I like John Tranters poetry though its really good, much better.

LittleOne14

HSC
Yep, doing language and gender too...
Hated Orlando with a passion at the start...but came to enjoy it after considering it in more depth
twelfth night - sweet
and the floor of heaven....not so keen...
good to see there are a few people doing it out there!

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i still hate orlando, so i'm going to use Eliabeth, Twelfth Night and Floor of Heaven. Personally i love floor of heaven i think its fantastic.

LittleOne14

HSC
haha, did you watch Orlando the film? it's even worse...
i don't know which texts i'll use yet, see what works for me i guess.
how many are in your ext 1 class?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
4 people. I really need to ask this what type of things do you discuss about the texts and gender in class

Last edited:

LittleOne14

HSC
umm...yeah, we don't discuss it too much either...we talk about patriarchal notions of society a lot...and we started considering the theory of 'damned whores vs. gods police' but yeah...i don't really know what to tell you?

LittleOne14

HSC
i was hoping you wouldn't say that...
it's kinda hard to explain...patriarchal notions are like that women's role in is in the home and stuff like that...women should be submissive, quiet, uneducated. things like that?
umm, damned whores or gods police has to do with the construction of gender...a theory that women are only ever one or the other...so either sexually loose and vulgar and bottom of the social ladder or respectful, virginal and worthy of being wives...
i dunno, wat do you guys talk about?? have you had some assessment tasks?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i have read about dominance theory and that etc. cause our teacher gave us this photocopy and internet print off resource book, i do everything out of there. we actually discussing things like visual sterotypes that apply to gender on thursday. We have done 1 that was 2 parts but i am not confident

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)