languages (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ah ok
when i was doing korean, the guy said the same thing... do you have any 3 hour blocks? cos the 3 hour block for korean was meant to be split into a lecture and a tute

Eeko

Banned
i got 1.5 hrs on monday
and 3 hrs on thursday.

The Admin told me they're ALL Tuts.

but i guess it's prolly like korean

kouri

well w t f
HSC
yeah i got into japn3000 too..

butttttttttttttttttt
i have a big question

about 3000 and 3001.

i've got my elective in sem2, so i can only do 3b, but thats 3001 which means i miss out on one sem of jap?? O_O
where as my friends are doing both 3a and 3b... so erh..
i dont know how i can handle or.... what the hell's going on.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
depends on the language and the level. classes tend to be small though

EDIT: Lolliana, is FREN1011 intermediate? cos if it is, i'm doing that

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
it depends on demand... chinese would be reasonably large

professor shin (the korean prof) said that demand for korean was low, 1st year was about 30-40, so i gues chinese would be higher

Eeko

Banned
Man I'm really freaking out about rocking up to a small class of pro chinese peeps who all know each other and the professor starts to pick on me and I start looking like an idiot..... Arghhhhh

damn it y did chinese have to be my first lecture in UNI

Eeko

Banned
Originally posted by babydoll_
japanese was worse. fulla honkies i tells you
lol same as chinese
the whole class is for honkies who cant speak Mando

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
it depends on demand... chinese would be reasonably large

professor shin (the korean prof) said that demand for korean was low, 1st year was about 30-40
why would the demand for K be so low? :(
I love Korean.. it's the best.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
i went into japn3000's first lecture.
man it was cool. there were quite a few non-asians actually
but too bad. i can't do it .........
SSSSSSSSOOOOOO

i'm going to do JAPN2001. what a waste of time...well ..sorta.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Bump!
I am doing Spanish 1001 at Sydney Uni.
even though this is a NSW forum I am bored

ichiraku

HSC
Anybody taking ARTS1630 Intro Japanese this semester? It looks like it's gona be such a fun course!

The interactive lectures are such a nice change to listening to some guy out the front rambling on

KoreaS

HSC
Anybody taking ARTS1630 Intro Japanese this semester? It looks like it's gona be such a fun course!

The interactive lectures are such a nice change to listening to some guy out the front rambling on
LOL, yeah - it was quite good. Tuts were also excellent. I had trouble pronouncing Shitsurei something (I forgot lol) but at least I learnt hajimemashite, watashi (name) desu, dozoyoloshiku. But the lectures were so full - no sits...and I can't help but feel for the lecturers who wore kimono - heard they were really uncomfortable and bothering.

Anyway, wonder what the seminars are about though. I'm quite surprised that this unit has 5 hours of tuts/lectures/seminars whilst my other courses usually only have 3 hours to 4 hours.

Last edited:

super-shinobi

HSC
So is it true that you can only take language courses in the first semester? I want to do Japanese and Korean (beginners) next year. Do I have to do a placement test if I have no prior knowledge of korean? And japanese.. did continuers and extension. Would I be doing advanced or professional?

MooshyMoosh

HSC
So is it true that you can only take language courses in the first semester? I want to do Japanese and Korean (beginners) next year. Do I have to do a placement test if I have no prior knowledge of korean? And japanese.. did continuers and extension. Would I be doing advanced or professional?
From what I've heard from other Arts students, and in the unsw handbook, each level of a language is split between two semester; i.e. Intro [language] A in sem 1, then Intro [language] B in sem 2. You have to begin your study in first semester in order to progress to the next level. [I hope I made sense just then lol]

No, you don't have to sit a placement test for korean if you've never studied it before, but for jap you probably will. As to whether you start at the advanced or professional level, it depends on how you go in the placement tests. Hope this helps :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)