Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters
HSC
Re: laptops at uni?

Lots of people in my politics lectures use laptops - however I have a feeling these guys are also law students.

Please though, don't use laptops in tutes though. I just find it really rude.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

macbook pros last 8 hours
8 hours!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I'm on an MBP 17" and the battery lasts for about four hours with basic use, 3 for intensive use (movies etc).

Maybe you could get 8 hours running it in power saving mode with the LCD on 1 bar of brightness, all peripherals turned down or off and only running text edit or word... But that's boring.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

8 hours!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I'm on an MBP 17" and the battery lasts for about four hours with basic use, 3 for intensive use (movies etc).

Maybe you could get 8 hours running it in power saving mode with the LCD on 1 bar of brightness, all peripherals turned down or off and only running text edit or word... But that's boring.
I use my Laptop in lectures cause I'm a faster typer than writer... And it's more comfortable when cramped in a chair with only a tiny desk to work on.

Plus if you have all of your past notes on your HDD, it is much easier to look through them when a topic presents itself. You can also research a concept on the internet while the lecture takes place to help you further your understanding.

And you don't have to worry about carrying your book with all your notes and handouts all over the place... I scan my handouts into the computer or simply get it off the source drive at the school.

philphie

Banned
HSC

Lots of people in my politics lectures use laptops - however I have a feeling these guys are also law students.

Please though, don't use laptops in tutes though. I just find it really rude.
haha what's this insinuation with laptops and law students?

philphie

Banned
HSC

8 hours!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

i always have mine on 1 bar brightness in dark situations because i can actually see better for some odd reason, and pages (yes i don't use office) is all you need for a lecture, that and the net. if i'm recording, surfing, listening to music or watching movies it'll last 4-6 hours then for me.

philphie

Banned
HSC

i have a feeling ill end up using my mbp to video record the lecture so i could go to sleep. i know why bother turning up when you could just get a podcast, but if it's winter all the warmth emitted by all those students....

hairspray

HSC

I was thinking about using books but after I read the posts... i think i might consider bringing my laptop that weighs heaps!

I better start learning how to type fast so I wont embarass myself... I have a belief that I can write faster than I can type...

philphie

Banned
HSC

I was thinking about using books but after I read the posts... i think i might consider bringing my laptop that weighs heaps!

I better start learning how to type fast so I wont embarass myself... I have a belief that I can write faster than I can type...
why would you be embarassed?

HSC

haha what's this insinuation with laptops and law students?
Just an observation I made this semester. But plenty of law students back it up.

Honestly though, there's still heaps more people using books/paper though. But as more and more people get portable netbooks, laptops in lectures are becoming more popular.

LordPc

HSC

there are two types of people that bring laptops to lectures

those that dont really want to be in the lecture theatre but have fooled themselves into believing that a laptop will make note taking easier. these people open up notepad or Word, write the name of the class, date, etc, then spend the next 50 minutes browsing the internet, chatting on msn or playing games.

the other type of person will open up a word doc and actually takes notes

sadly, you have a 95% chance of falling into the first category

(there is one final category, these people bring laptops but dont take notes or play games. they write essays and finish off class work that came out today and is due in 2 weeks. but these people are rare)

Tofuu

HSC

i have a feeling ill end up using my mbp to video record the lecture so i could go to sleep. i know why bother turning up when you could just get a podcast, but if it's winter all the warmth emitted by all those students....
i think some uni's dont allow recording (usyd is one i think) because some students were selling them to the lazy students

though the uni should provide downloads for the lectures

philphie

Banned
HSC

or the people that bring a laptop to cram for final exam because they havent been bothered to print off lectures notes all sem. or are finishing off an essay due that day because they're scared no computers will be free :p
ah jeez just when i thought high school was the hardest part that i got over and done with

philphie

Banned
HSC

and do that for the rest of your life through unemployment!
haha well this is what the summer does for me. too much time, nothing to do. been looking for work again but have found nothing, apart from this i'm 'casually' selling my house is that makes any sense

HSC

or the people that bring a laptop to cram for final exam because they havent been bothered to print off lectures notes all sem. or are finishing off an essay due that day because they're scared no computers will be free :p

ugh, that was me the last few weeks this semester just gone. except i still only brought my laptop on the days when i was seriously considering the prospect that my 45% essay wasn't going to get done.

general observation: there are NO free computers when you want/need one. so i'm buying myself a more portable laptop for next year.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

my laptop is nearly 2 years old now.. so the battery only lasts for like, 1 hour lol pretty sad.
or maybe it just feels like 1 hour cos the time goes so fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)