Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Laptop Vs Paper

What does everyone use for taking notes?

And why do you use it?

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Laptop Vs Paper

HAHAHA i was going to ask the same question.
i dont want to take a laptop and feel like some rich-(which by any means im not) kid.
i would probably end up doing both? i like the speed of a laptop.. but sometimes (i.e. maths or anything with equations) its just so much easier with pen and paper..

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

Laptop. I type much faster than I can write (legibly), I believe it's possible to get more speed out of typing than you'll ever get out of writing...

Instant filing cabinet ftw - Neater document organisation. Electronic medium = No bulky textbooks or paper = Less weight.

Yeah. But I always have one notebook at hand just incase.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

HAHAHA i was going to ask the same question.
i dont want to take a laptop and feel like some rich-(which by any means im not) kid.
i would probably end up doing both? i like the speed of a laptop.. but sometimes (i.e. maths or anything with equations) its just so much easier with pen and paper..
Ah see I think I'll prefer pen and paper. I can write a lot faster than type. Though I'll probs give both a go to test them out.

But definately during maths topics, I'll use pen and paper, so much quicker.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

Laptop. I type much faster than I can write (legibly), I believe it's possible to get more speed out of typing than you'll ever get out of writing...

Instant filing cabinet ftw - Neater document organisation. Electronic medium = No bulky textbooks or paper = Less weight.

Yeah. But I always have one notebook at hand just incase.
Yeh the convenience of one tool to hold everything, does really interest me. And I swore to myself that this year I'll get nice and organised as opposed to my hsc (that was a shambles >_>) And a laptop does sound like a good way to keep everything together...

myst1fy

HSC
N/A

i'm myst1fy and using a paper was my idea

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

Yeh the convenience of one tool to hold everything, does really interest me. And I swore to myself that this year I'll get nice and organised as opposed to my hsc (that was a shambles >_>) And a laptop does sound like a good way to keep everything together...
If you're good at typing, it's a sound investment. If you're a slow typer and write faster, then consider that.

Instant filing cabinet makes it sooooooo much more convenient, added to the fact that you don't need to plan what notes or books you need to take day-to-day when it's all on one location.

X

xeuyrawp

This literally comes up way too often; do a search.

The only reasonable answer is that everyone has their own preference depending on what they do and how they do it. What other people say and think is honestly irrelevant - you need to come up with your own method. You could buy a laptop for uni, or you could try pen and paper and see how you go. Obviously you can judge how the pen and paper is going for you and then if you think a laptop is worth it, get it.

Ie it's better to try paper and move to a laptop rather than the other way around.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

For taking notes? Pen and paper for me.

I like random doodling. I also find writing and then typing to be an excellent retention tactic.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

This literally comes up way too often; do a search.

The only reasonable answer is that everyone has their own preference depending on what they do and how they do it. What other people say and think is honestly irrelevant - you need to come up with your own method. You could buy a laptop for uni, or you could try pen and paper and see how you go. Obviously you can judge how the pen and paper is going for you and then if you think a laptop is worth it, get it.

Ie it's better to try paper and move to a laptop rather than the other way around.
Indeed, it is subjective, but in asking for subjective answers, you get many points of view. Subjective points of view allow the O.P to see the points of both and decide what would most likely suit them before doing either. Usually this decision is the right one.

Shadowdude said:
I like random doodling. I also find writing and then typing to be an excellent retention tactic.
This is partly what the notebook is for XD.

NewiJapper

HSC

I think I may take notes on paper in my sciences and take notes on my laptop in law. :p

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

i just write around the lect slides. never typed up notes for uni. haven't failed anything yet so my technique's working.

Paradox.101

HSC

Relevantly, should we take a laptop or notepad into our first lecture?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Another thread? -_-

Use both, or whatever suits you. I used a laptop for all my notes last year and did some work in books/paper/notepads. I found that a small selection of sticky notes and sticky tabs came in handy as well... especially when keep track of notes (I'm rather obsessive about organisation).

Try them both, choose a favourite.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

A notepad is appropriate when doing science subjects (including maths) as diagrams and numbers are difficult to write down on a laptop. A laptop should be fine for anything else.

Personally, I've only used notepad during lectures. So much more compact and light with a greater flexibility to write notes which can't be achieved quickly with a keyboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)