Laptops?!? (1 Viewer)

*rinney*

HSC
Yo dawgs

The following was in the SMH 'Student Survival Guide'

" Pen and paper doesn't cut it. To do your assignments you're going to need a computer

Do not be afraid. You no longer have to cast your lot in with the geeks to carry a notebook computer around campus. Even the jocks know it makes good sense to own a lightweight machine that lets you check your email and homework while in a lecture, the library or in transit. Plus when you get home it won't cramp your living space. "

So what's the deal on laptops/notebooks being at uni - specifically Macquarie, which is where I'm going! :rolleyes: It'd be sick to carry a notebook round - save so much paper and having to write notes and summaries all the time... :)

Cheers !

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
if you have laptops, you still need to write notes and summaries all the time.

if your exams are tested by you writting essays, etc. i think it is a good idea to get practice by doing them by hand. thats just my opinion. the main idea is that you actually do the work, rather than how you do it.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
it depends on the subjects, if it's just writing words then it's not a bad idea. but if you're writing notation/diagrams/graphs, then don't bother. also there's always the risk of thief/distraction of games.

*rinney*

HSC
alrighty thanks. it's actually made me reconsider hey...

i prob will look like a nerd child with a lappo toppo! and my writing skills are bound to fail! :( might just put up with the inconvenience of scribbling everything down on paper..

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if you dont write much, youll forget how to write (i mean moderately quickly/legibly, which youll need to do esp with arts)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
everyone looks at the people with the laptops to see what they're typing. :uhhuh:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, i wish i had a laptop, id be browsing my pr0...i mean mp...i mean *runs*

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
everyone looks at the people with the laptops to see what they're typing. :uhhuh:
lol, that is probably one of the main reasons i hate having my laptop in lectures.
My notes are usually illegible and make no sense so people who look probably think i'm some uneducated git :p

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Notes on paper (use a fountain pen -- doesn't hurt your hand as much), type them up as a form of study/revision. Explain in those notes to the point that someone who wasn't in the lecture would understand as well or better.

...then sell those notes at the end of the course :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
...then sell those notes at the end of the course :D
The question would be - would you be able to find anyone willing to buy them.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
laptops are expensive and it's kinda not necessary.... u mite distrack some one....but one thing good about laptop is tat u don't need a note taker~~ :p

RIZAL

HSC
i only took my laptop to uni once. when i used it in the library the person next to me got pissed from the typing sound...and my keyboard is quiet. and they also said that the fan of my lap top was too loud as well.

i'd only brign a laptop to uni if it was extremely light with a quiet keyboard.

edit: has macquarie got wifi?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
The reality is that only wankers take their lappys to lectures,and they stick out like a sore thumb. Its a complete waste of money. I admit I do take mine when its exam time and I need to write practise essays in the library, but apart from that, I have no need for it at uni. If you have one, thats great, but dont go wasting your money buying one.

Pen and paper is much better... and the tables in most of the lecture halls arent stable enough to hold a piece of paper, let alone a $3000 lappy (take note X-building!)

...and I dont think we have wifi...i've never checked it on the grounds. If i want internet, I go across to MQ ctr and buy a coffee at croissant connection and spend all afternoon using their wireless :D

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

vaios

heh-

I hear sony vaios are good....

ok I work for sony...

but seriously, there are cool sony ones, and if you want one I'll sell it to you at cost price + GST, pm me

I'm a pretty quick typer, so typing in a lecture wouldnt annoy me too much, except for the fact that it'd annoy everyone around me as I bang a bit... I'll still prefer lecture pads and a good pen.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
heh-

I hear sony vaios are good....

ok I work for sony...

but seriously, there are cool sony ones, and if you want one I'll sell it to you at cost price + GST, pm me
*will now come to you for deals
:)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I have a vaio... its pretty, but thats about it. no better or worse than others on the market.

Whats the cost, out of curiosity?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mq was thinking of getting wireless for students, i don't know what's happened with that

crossant connection - how does that work? i didn't know the place existed, where is it?

did anyone get the email about the laptops at student prices? mq were getting good deals. they were expensive, you can get better deals at the shops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)