• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Large Hadron Collider - Death Threats (1 Viewer)

Will the Large Hadron Collider kill us XD

• Yes their will be a hole in th earth and it will Kill us

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • No nothing will happen

Votes: 88 82.2%
  • TBD (TO BE Decided) unsure

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Oh my God it looks like a black hole is developing at a rapid pace!
What shall we do?
Shall we create a vacuum to seal it in?
Perhaps. What do you all think, comrades?
Let us create a vacuum.
Then we shall store it in a vial for later!

Point: Doesn't all this happen remarkably quickly? Seems dangerous.
Any black hole that would be created would evaporate in like a femto or yoctosecond, I believe.

Hawking radiation brudz, aint nuff energy dere f00 to expand exp0nent1ally

Srsly lollin IRL at the whole "WE SEAL THE BLACK HOLE IN A VACUUM", though.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Farfour said:
Any black hole that would be created would evaporate in like a femto or yoctosecond, I believe.

Hawking radiation brudz, aint nuff energy dere f00 to expand exp0nent1ally

Srsly lollin IRL at the whole "WE SEAL THE BLACK HOLE IN A VACUUM", though.
Apparently sealing a micro black hole in a vacuum helps contain it...

Or that's what some physics lecturer told me.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
squeenie said:
Hey, don't dismiss the rap. It's quite accurate, and it makes particle physics just that little bit easier to understand.

I'm not worried about this. Even if a black hole was created, it can easily be contained by shutting down the LHC, and creating a vaccuum environment so the black hole can't absorb anything and then deal with it later.

So really, we have nothing to lose from this, much to gain, and as Farfour said, $9 billion is nothing compared to what gets spent on military and defence.
"No. Sir. Excuse Me. *beats prosthetic arm* Also when they go down into the mine everyone will still be alive, there will be no shocking memories. And if the prevailing motion will be one of nostalgia for those left behind, combined with a bold spirit of curiousity for the adventure ahead!"

You are a fucking ignoramus if you believe you can a) create a vacuum environment on earth and b) think you can contain a black hole within one.

But then again you are an 08er.

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Apparently sealing a micro black hole in a vacuum helps contain it...

Or that's what some physics lecturer told me.
What? Dude we can't create a perfect vacuum on earth let alone contain a black hole within a vacuum, that DOES NOT MAKE SENSE> YOU ARE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE

Garygaz

HSC
Hypothetically, if what the minority of scientists are saying is true, and these black holes are created from the collisions, will we have enough time to have a world wide revolt and kill all at CERN scientists? State of anarchy?

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
Garygaz said:
Hypothetically, if what the minority of scientists are saying is true, and these black holes are created from the collisions, will we have enough time to have a world wide revolt and kill all at CERN scientists? State of anarchy?
You won't even notice that you've died you'll just die. Humanity would be snuffed out in an instant, and then slowly so would the rest of the universe. Speed of light is slow and for suckers.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Farfour said:
What? Dude we can't create a perfect vacuum on earth let alone contain a black hole within a vacuum, that DOES NOT MAKE SENSE> YOU ARE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE
Right. Well I was just quoting what a physics lecturer told me...

So if a micro black hole formed, and Hawking radiation didn't exist, then it would just instantly absorb the earth?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, amazingly exciting. Chance to discover a unifying theory - to end the dictatorship of relativism for a generation! To unravel real, sweet, tangible TRUTH.
Trust "scientists" to tell the world what theyre up to at the last min

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Right. Well I was just quoting what a physics lecturer told me...

So if a micro black hole formed, and Hawking radiation didn't exist, then it would just instantly absorb the earth?
That doesn't... you...

The micro black holes have to evaporate because they have a finite temperature and entropy, IIRC. They are physically unable to sustain themselves as they are losing energy/mass and cannot supply themselves with enough to continue existing, thus they stop. Just like any object using energy will eventually return to an inert state due to the external forces upon it, the black hole evaporates because it physically can not take in enough energy/mass to sustain itself
Other theories include:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet

X

xeuyrawp

R: Larg Hadron Collidr - Dath Thrats

xphat said:
The rsult of th LHC will b th limination of th ltter "" from the alphabt.
Uhohz... It has alrady bgun!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: R: Larg Hadron Collidr - Dath Thrats

A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE

OR DESTROYS IT IN THIS CASE

SCIENCE VS HUMANITY, WHO WILL WIN!?!?!?!?

Science tommorow, apparently. Kudos to the resident in this thread who mentioned the lecture at Sydney uni tommorow though. I'll be thar watching. :D

Science related: how to black holes evaporate? I'm a mere organic chemist and am unaware of how it works. 08'ers? Any ideas?

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A

I be there. Dude, based on the information they just shrink until no longer putting an impact on anything around them.. it's just decay, I don't know what they give off, though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I'm going to keep an eye out for you, comrade.

But how does a black hole shrink? Liek, black holes = dense matter from which nothing escapes. So...they shrink somehow now? DAMN YOU HSC PHYSICS!

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
It's the reality bomb

"The Destruction of... reality itself!"

Re: creation of a black hole, how cool would it be to look up and see the entire world sucked into nothingness in an instant

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm going to keep an eye out for you, comrade.

But how does a black hole shrink? Liek, black holes = dense matter from which nothing escapes. So...they shrink somehow now? DAMN YOU HSC PHYSICS!
Wikipedia said:
Hawking radiation (also known as Bekenstein-Hawking radiation) is a thermal radiation with a black body spectrum predicted to be emitted by black holes due to quantum effects. It is named after the physicist Stephen Hawking who provided the theoretical argument for its existence in 1974, and sometimes also after the physicist Jacob Bekenstein who predicted that black holes should have a finite, non-zero temperature and entropy. Hawking's work followed his visit to Moscow in 1973 where Soviet scientists Yakov Zeldovich and Alexander Starobinsky showed him that according to the quantum mechanical uncertainty principle, rotating black holes should create and emit particles.[1]

Because Hawking radiation allows black holes to lose mass, black holes that lose more matter than they gain through other means are expected to dissipate, shrink, and ultimately vanish. Smaller micro black holes (MBHs) are currently predicted by theory to be larger net emitters of radiation than larger black holes, and to shrink and dissipate faster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

So I'm guessing that this would be something similar to regular radioactive decay. Except with black holes.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Brian Cox said:
Let me answer all of these at once. The LHC has absolutely no chance of destroying anything bigger than a few protons, let alone the Earth. This is not based on theoretical assumptions.
It is, of course, essential that all scientific research at the frontiers of knowledge, from genetics to particle physics, is subjected to the most rigorous scrutiny to ensure that our voyages into the unknown do not result in unforeseen, perhaps dangerous outcomes.
Cern, and indeed all research establishments, do this routinely and to the satisfaction of their host governments. In the case of the LHC, a report in plain English is available here:
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html
For the record, the LHC collides particles together at energies far below those naturally occurring in many places in the Universe, including the upper atmosphere of our planet every second of every day.
If the LHC can produce micro black holes, for example, then nature is doing it right now by smashing ultra-high energy cosmic ray particles into the Earth directly above our heads with no discernable consequences.
The overwhelmingly most likely explanation for our continued existence in the face of this potentially prolific production of black holes is that they aren't produced at all because there are either no extra dimensions in the Universe, or they aren't set up right for us to see them.
If black holes are being produced, then next on the list of explanations for our continued existence is the broad theoretical consensus that sub-atomic black holes should fizzle back into the Universe very quickly, billionths of a second after they are created in a little flash of particles via a process known as Hawking radiation.
In other words, they evaporate away very quickly indeed. This process, which is perhaps Steven Hawking's greatest contribution to theoretical physics, is on significantly firmer theoretical ground than the extra dimensions theories required to create the little black holes in the first place.
Even if Hawking is wrong, and therefore much of our understanding of modern physics is also wrong, the little black holes would be so tiny that they would rarely come close enough to a particle of matter in the Earth to eat it and grow.
And even if you don't buy any of this, then you can still relax in the knowledge that we have no evidence anywhere in the Universe of a little black hole eating anything - not just Earth but the Sun and planets and every star we can see in the sky, including the immensely dense neutron stars and white dwarfs, remnants of ancient Suns that populate the sky in their millions and which because of their density would make great black hole food.
So - the only theoretical bit is in the proposition that you can make little black holes in the first place. From then on, observation tells us that these things either (a) don't exist - the most likely explanation; or (b) exist, but do not eat neutron stars and are therefore harmless, probably because they evaporate away very quickly indeed!
I am in fact immensely irritated by the conspiracy theorists who spread this nonsense around and try to scare people. This non-story is symptomatic of a larger mistrust in science, particularly in the US, which includes intelligent design amongst other things.
The only serious issue is why so many people who don't have the time or inclination to discover for themselves why this stuff is total crap have to be exposed to the opinions of these half-wits.
so please shut the fuck up unless you actually know what you are talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)