• Latham

Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

Rorix

HSC
:sigh:

it makes me sad that I must be thankful for even your vote.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The lesson: Don't read local papers, only statewide or national papers like the SMH or Australian :p

gem_max

HSC
no forget about him and come on asquithian you do politics youre suppose to answer my question! No really its getting to me... i HAVE to know and you seem to know all the tidbits in this election so suss it out dude, come on before I start employing the feminine wiles weaponry and rambling even more than i am now... OK now im just winging...

gem_max

HSC
Ziff said:
The lesson: Don't read local papers, only statewide or national papers like the SMH or Australian :p
haha dammit youre post JUST got there before mine. But yes good point. The compilers of local papers Ive found cant even master good spelling...

BUT I STILL WANT AN ANSWER and I dont know where to look. Its 12 hours until I have my Sunday edition of SMH... Hmm maybe the Internet... smh.com.au yah

Ziff

HSC
N/A
gem_max said:
no forget about him and come on asquithian you do politics youre suppose to answer my question! No really its getting to me... i HAVE to know and you seem to know all the tidbits in this election so suss it out dude, come on before I start employing the feminine wiles weaponry and rambling even more than i am now... OK now im just winging...
It's an emphatic no.

I'm too lazy to explain things about world oil prices and stuff or the necessity for all states to agree to increasing the GST amongst other things that must happen.

Back to Legal Studies.

gem_max

HSC
bah i cant find anything on it anywhere. Stupid local paper...

no you dont need to deliver a sermon on oil prices etc. I did not ask for that or for any defence in Latham's case if the tidbit turned out to be true. i was just wondering if it was thats all. Seeing as i cant find anything on it i shall return to my post-assignment completion holiday. Cheers once again chaps :cool:

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
what you were around in the early 90s and aware of the state of our public transport system?

I remeber 'red rattlers' do you?

again why do these people continue to use personal instults when arguing :rolleyes:
seriously dude is this supposed to be a joke? I am trying to stop laughing as I type this - you are actually trying to defend the Carr government's record on transport. THE GOVERNMENT ITSELF HAS SAID THE RAILWAYS ARE IN THERE WORST CONDITION EVER and you are trying to dispute this.

The 'Red rattlers' were replaced by Tangaras by the Griener/Fahey governments so you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The only attempt to introduce new trains by the Carr government has been the millenium train project which is honestly quite laughable.

Even by changing the definition of a late train from 3.5 minutes to 5 minutes and slashing the number of train drivers and services, trains are still at their worst ever. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind can defend the record of the Carr government on trains, your parents obviously paid the full fees for a car as well.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Why do you feel the need to use personal insults what arguing? Anyways to respond to the personal insults part of your post

1. im not full fee...please stop using that like some kind of weapon

2. I catch public transport to uni every day...no my parents have not bought me a car and dont intend to

3. i do have some idea about what im talking about...

Now to the real part of the post

3. The current condition of the rail system is a result of numerous governments over a long time...the problem of the rail system has much more to do with logistics than policy...not to mention a very unorganised disgruntled building operation...did you know that state government was considering legal action against Goninan?

Do you really thing John Brogden is going to do something for trains?...Brogden would built another level on the spit bridge so he and his constitutency can get to work quicker before he even considers fixing the trains...

Its like blaming ALL our federal defence purchases on the current liberal government...thats not right...large speding on areas of public significance dont happen overnight...

ever think that the griener government was really implementing a proposal of the previous labor government?

EVER STOP TO THINK THAT THE RaiL SYSTEM HAS BEEN MISMANAGED FOR A VERY LONG TIME...under a number of different governments...and that the recent attempted expansion (the millenium train which again was also an idea of the previous liberal government) saw the system break and was a result of years of ill planning w on the part of this labor government, liberal governments Goninan, Comeng, ... previous liberal governments who provided the current government with a system that despite best efforts has had to suffer cutbacks out west?

What are your suggestions for a better rail system? You are a liberal supporter. You support economic liberalism and small government? Why dont you support small government in terms of trains? If you support the Liberal philosophy of economic rights why dont you buy a car and stop catching public transport?

You know amazingly our train system was crap before the Carr government! *SHOCK HORROR* its amazing that red rattlers exisited during a liberal government! Was it great how both liberal and labor governments of the past allowed the train system to run with the same trains for 30 years?

A history of neglect is the story of the rail system which now has come to a head happily for you under a labor government...
Alright I am going to stop making personal insults while debating.

The Carr government has been in power for almost 10 years and rail services have been declining steadily over this time and are now in there worst condition ever. It is a bit rich to start criticising past governments when the Carr government has been given three terms to sort out any problems. 10 years is enough time to construct a whole new rail system if they wanted to. They have not solved any problems, they have merely created and extended problems. It is clear that they have no idea how to solve any of the problems in the rail system and services will only continue to decline while they are in power, this is inevitable as there are no significant initiatives to solve the problems of the rail system.

The Liberal philosophy is not and should not be about encouraging car use as opposed to public transport. The philosophy is (or should be) that resources should be in the hands of private individuals, not the government. The Government has proved it is incapable of handling the trains, the only way of solving these problems fully is to privitise the rail system or spin it off into a public private partnership. Even the British Labour government has spun the London underground off into a public private partnership which goes to show how intransigent the Carr Government is, they are not prepared to take any significant action to solve the crisis. Intead, signifying the contempt shown towards communters an ex-union offical continues to run the powerful transport department.

Trains and government do not go hand in hand. As shown by the much better rail services in Victoria, trains are far better run by the private sector. The sooner the Carr government is overthrown and replaced with a decent Liberal government like the Kennet Government in Victoria, the sooner we will be able to discover this.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
I thought that the Victorian rail network was basically a government operation seeing as though they support the system to a significant extent...

ohne

HSC
Generator said:
I thought that the Victorian rail network was basically a government operation seeing as though they support the system to a significant extent...
It is privately owned and operated although there is some government intervention to ensure government desired outcomes are met.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Three terms to sort out the trains eh?

You do of course realise that we're talking infrastructure here. Had Labor decided to take out a massive loan to fix up the network they would have been criticised from the right about being fiscally irresponsble and taking out enormous loans etc etc.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
large infrustructure spending and committments are hard to attritbute to a certain single government
No, I'm saying that by following ohne's model, the only way Labor could be absolved of any blame would be if they had taken out enormous loans to fix the system. Then of course, they would be hounded for economic irresponsibility and slaughtered. Bit of a catch 22?

ohne

HSC
Ziff said:

You do of course realise that we're talking infrastructure here. Had Labor decided to take out a massive loan to fix up the network they would have been criticised from the right about being fiscally irresponsble and taking out enormous loans etc etc.
The NSW Government IS fiscally irresponsible. NSW is the highest taxed state in Australia and despite this a deficit of over $350 million is projected this year - doesn't sound too responsible to me.

ohne

HSC
Ziff said:

Then why not allow private funding?

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
large infrustructure spending and committments are hard to attritbute to a certain single government
Really? Almost the entire metropolitan rail system in Sydney was constructed over a period of less than 10 years.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
jameseginton said:
I am currently at Scots College and find it amusing when i hear complaints air conditioners dont work, I wish we had one. What you pay for a private school is in fact a well rounded education without the political correctness, you do not have to be afraid of offending anyone because you know where you stand.

One more thing the likely retention of Eden-monarom should see a comfortable vicotry for the Howard Government and for all you left wing radiacalists, it looks like Bush is back for 4 more years, maybe kerry should go have another manicure and top up his fake tan.
I beg your PARDON?

Firstly, come to my school James...I'd love to watch you squirm. You don't have an air-conditioner? Which storeroom is that in?

Scots hardly caters for a broad demographic of people and I'm really intrigued...where exactly is it you stand? Afraid that comment sounded rather elitist and superior.

I'm a so called 'Left Wing Radicalist'. You make me laugh! And you're insightful personal slander on Kerry is just the ice cream on my cake.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
no thats not true :rolleyes:

it was built bit by bit and has been continually added to for over 100 years

Its in the yr 12 geography book which i gave back to the school

but wickpedia gives a summary of the adding of the different lines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityRail
As the article points out, the electrified rail system we know today was constructed largely in the 1920s. There are some exceptions to this of course such as the eastern suburbs rail line and the pathetic half attempt being made by the Carr government at the Parramatta to Chatswood rail line, however we are for the most part still essentially operating on a 1920s/1930s rail system.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
talking about the british experience, isn't the london underground going to pieces now that it's privatised? or have i gotten my systems mixed up...

in any case, both sydney ond non sydney rail in NSW is stuffed. I was also under the impression that apart from infrastructure problems, a simple lack of drivers/guards (and funds for their training/wages) was an issue, partly because of the hardarse train drivers union and partly because of the govt?

ohne

HSC
mervvyn said:
talking about the british experience, isn't the london underground going to pieces now that it's privatised? or have i gotten my systems mixed up...

in any case, both sydney ond non sydney rail in NSW is stuffed. I was also under the impression that apart from infrastructure problems, a simple lack of drivers/guards (and funds for their training/wages) was an issue, partly because of the hardarse train drivers union and partly because of the govt?
The London Underground is infinitely better than Sydney's rail system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)