• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Latham or Howard? (1 Viewer)

Who would u vote if u had to choose b/w the following:

• Latham

Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
BTW. In case some ppl haven't noticed, the Reserve Bank of Australia sets interest rates, not the government
BTW, in case you haven't noticed, government fiscal policy influences inflationary pressures, which determines interest rates.

Last edited:

ohne

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
But the greens won't have to majority to instill any real economic change but they can have a voice, and this will mainly be about social matters. I don't think the economy will suffer too greatly under a latham government (my 2nd preference) it's just ppl believe that by those stupid ads that use scare tactics.

BTW. In case some ppl haven't noticed, the Reserve Bank of Australia sets interest rates, not the government
true, but government policies do have an influence. the ALPs spending promises (particulary medicare "gold") are unsustainable and will send the budget into deficit over them medium term leading to increased interest rates. The ALPs industrial relations policy is also inherently dangerous as it will lead to increased inflation and thus upward pressure on interest rates.

Rorix

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
Wouldn't u take hostages if Australia was invaded?
By invaded, do you mean liberated?
If so, no.
You don't understand that this isn't Coalition vs. Iraqi people.
It's the Coalition vs. Saddam (and Co.).

I said saddam was bad didn't I, but it doesn't excuse a war
It's real simple.
Either you agree with the removal of Saddam, or you don't.
You'd rather have Saddam in power.

Alternative solution - Something better then blowin shit up, if the US are so freaking smart then couldn't they send a CIA task force or something to take him out.
Have you ever heard of Fidel Castro? You probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about, as you're rather uneducated politically, socially, historically and pretty much every other ally I can think of.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
neo_o said:
BTW, in case you haven't notice, government fiscal policy influences inflationary pressures, which determines interest rates.
Liberal economic policy favours the rich rather than the working class. If the rich get richer then the econompy LOOKS good, but the benefits rarely follow down to the working class man

ohne

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
I'm not condoning terrorism!
Who else takes hostages? Have you seen Guantanomo bay recently
While I am not defending Guantanomo bay and it is by no means good or perfect, I wouldn't exactly be comparing it to terrorist groups capturing innocent civilians and killing them without any trial.

ohne

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
Liberal economic policy favours the rich rather than the working class. If the rich get richer then the econompy LOOKS good, but the benefits rarely follow down to the working class man
liberal economic policies provide individuals with opportunity to be rewarded for hard work and encourage individual initative and enterprise. what is wrong with this?

if you look at electoral statistics you will find that the vast majority of the poorest seats in this country are held by the coalition which shows that their economic polices do not simply "favour the rich" rather they favour those from all sections of society

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Rorix said:
By invaded, do you mean liberated?
If so, no.
You don't understand that this isn't Coalition vs. Iraqi people.
It's the Coalition vs. Saddam (and Co.).
Liberated, I mean invaded, if it isn't vs the Iraqi ppl, then why are so many being killed, their houses were blown up by the initial bomb strikes for no reason, I don't call that helping the Iraqi ppl

Rorix said:
It's real simple.
You'd rather have Saddam in power.
I don't agree with the removal of Saddam in the fashion that they chose because it cost the lives of lots of Iraqi civilians

Rorix said:
Have you ever heard of Fidel Castro? You probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about, as you're rather uneducated politically, socially, historically and pretty much every other ally I can think of.
I know who Fidel Castro is I'm not stupid. Notice it's the educated people in Universitys that take a left wing stand. And the US hasn't tried to take out Castro for years, surely they should have become more advanced by then

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
ohne said:
liberal economic policies provide individuals with opportunity to be rewarded for hard work and encourage individual initative and enterprise. what is wrong with this?

if you look at electoral statistics you will find that the vast majority of the poorest seats in this country are held by the coalition which shows that their economic polices do not simply "favour the rich" rather they favour those from all sections of society
Do you call the rise in HECS fees looking after the whole of society?

Rorix

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
Liberated, I mean invaded, if it isn't vs the Iraqi ppl, then why are so many being killed, their houses were blown up by the initial bomb strikes for no reason, I don't call that helping the Iraqi ppl
Do you know what else is REALLY REALLY BAD for the people of Iraq? Saddam.

I don't agree with the removal of Saddam
Yeah, I know. You're are Saddam apologists.

I know who Fidel Castro is I'm not stupid.
Actually, you didn't understand the relevance of the point so you are, by your own definition, stupid.
The point was the CIA was incapable of assassinating Castro, and generally made an idiot of itself. So much so that President Ford barred the US from ever comitting assassinations, reinforced by Carter and Reagan.

Notice it's the educated people in Universitys that take a left wing stand.
You make the Unabomber's balls itch.

And the US hasn't tried to take out Castro for years, surely they should have become more advanced by then
It's strange that this sentence makes absolutely zero sense.
It's probably your education.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Sorry I didn't understand the WHOLE context of what you were saying, but it doesn't make me stupid. And I'm not a saddam apologiser. He is a bad guy, how many times do I have to say that! But I don't agree with blowing lots of shit up to get rid of him

ohne

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
Yes, I am in favour of giving universities more control to decide how to run their institutions free from government control.

The difference between the Liberal Party and ALP is that the Liberal Party is focused on the language of opportunity, of excellence, of aspiration, of ambition whereas the ALP is absorbed with the language of insecurity, injustice, discrimination and disadvantage.

The ALP believes humans are incapable of solving their own problems and the government must do it for them. The Liberal party believes people are capable of making their own decisions and do not need to be told what to do and how to live their lives by the government.

Ultimately the ALP is the negative side of politics seeing the world through a lens of disadvantage whereas the Liberal party is the positive side, seeing the world through a lens of opportunity.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
ohne said:
Yes, I am in favour of giving universities more control to decide how to run their institutions free from government control.

The difference between the Liberal Party and ALP is that the Liberal Party is focused on the language of opportunity, of excellence, of aspiration, of ambition whereas the ALP is absorbed with the language of insecurity, injustice, discrimination and disadvantage.

The ALP believes humans are incapable of solving their own problems and the government must do it for them. The Liberal party believes people are capable of making their own decisions and do not need to be told what to do and how to live their lives by the government.

Ultimately the ALP is the negative side of politics seeing the world through a lens of disadvantage whereas the Liberal party is the positive side, seeing the world through a lens of opportunity.
The Uni's are incapable of making their own decisions because now I'll have to pay 100,000+ for my degree, this making Uni a privelage not a right and taking university away from working class australians.

You guys read the telegraph to much, I read the Herald, less bias

Ziff

HSC
N/A
TheBirdMustFly said:
The Uni's are incapable of making their own decisions because now I'll have to pay 100,000+ for my degree, this making Uni a privelage not a right and taking university away from working class australians.

You guys read the telegraph to much, I read the Herald, less bias
Err. To get less bias you should in theory read the ABC, DT, The Australian, the SMH, The Age, AFR the Canberra Times and international media such as the BBC and CNN.

:p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
OK. Give me time to edit this, its the 666th reply and must be special.

TheBirdMustFly said:
Like low unemployment evidentally.

HAY, 30 years ago is on the phone, he's saying you pay HECs WHILE YOURE EARNING MONEY, thus anyone can still go to uni.

Do you call subsidising those who already have better job opportunities compared to people who don't leave uni looking after the whole of society?

making Uni a privelage not a right
Tertiary education isn't a right.

Last edited:

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Ziff said:
Err. To get less bias you should in theory read the ABC, DT, The Australian, the SMH, The Age, AFR the Canberra Times and international media such as the BBC and CNN.

:p
SMH is the herald, and actually I do read all those other papers

read 'em tomorrow, you might see me, photographers were taking photos of me holding a a banner saying 'what kind of country would lock up innocent children'

Ziff

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
OK. Give me time to edit this, its the 666th reply and must be special.

HAY, 30 years ago is on the phone, he's saying you pay HECs WHILE YOURE EARNING MONEY, thus anyone can still go to uni.

Do you call subsidising those who already have better job opportunities compared to people who don't leave uni looking after the whole of society?
Ehhh I'm going to have to disagree. I mean, the are reforms and policies which promote low unemployment, however, I think you need to look at two things.

1. The statstics and what they mean. When it's quoted that we have 6% unemployment, it means anyone who works more than 1hr a week. So issues of underemployment need to be considered too.

2. I don't agree with the unfair dismissal laws the Liberals want to bring in re: small business. Natural justice is a fundamental right for all human beings.

I mean it does create low unemployment, but I think that the social cost is too high and it could lead to further problems later on.

---
Pfft, you added whilst I was composing my response.

The HECS fees are at least optional, so if a particularly benevolent vice-chancellor is overseeing the university they might not increase it. I would say, however, that because universities are increasing the HECS rate by the full 25%, that they must be very deserate for that extra money (hence meaning that it's not being funded adequately from existing sources).

From a viewpoint operating out of economic self-interest, I don't want the fees to go up. But think about it, if the average graduate starts (say for law) at $45,000 or more, and at this stage you are 24/25 and still renting, not buying off a home and so on, it's not going to adversely affect you.

But, I qualify it with this, if you look at the sort of money some TAFE people earn e.g. mechanics, plumbers or electricians (I know some earning over $120,000 a year) and notice that they don't have to pay off a massive HECS debt in the end, then it does seem somewhat unfair. I guess that those with the capacity to underake university studies need to realise that it is our duty to owe something to society because it is what provides us with the opportunity to further develop ourselves.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
Sorry I didn't understand the WHOLE context of what you were saying, but it doesn't make me stupid.
No see, you said that you weren't stupid because you understood the point I was making.
But you didn't.
Therefore you are.

And I'm not a saddam apologiser. He is a bad guy, how many times do I have to say that!
See, it's real simple.
You're willing to act like the removal of Saddam wasn't a good thing so that you can criticise Howard.
In other words, you're willing to APOLOGISE FOR SADDAM in order to criticise Howard.
That makes you a Saddam apologist.

Perhaps it's because you're prejudiced against Iraqis, thinking that they're too stupid to make an educated decision about who to vote for. Think Saddam is necessary to 'keep the tribes in order', eh?

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
neo_o said:
At least we agree on something

neo_o said:
Tertiary education isn't a right.
Yes it is! Don't ever say it isn't. Every1 has the right to the same job opportunities. Just because you arn't as economically better off as other ppl doesn't make you less able to learn.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Rorix said:
No see, you said that you weren't stupid because you understood the point I was making.
But you didn't.
Therefore you are.

See, it's real simple.
You're willing to act like the removal of Saddam wasn't a good thing so that you can criticise Howard.
In other words, you're willing to APOLOGISE FOR SADDAM in order to criticise Howard.
That makes you a Saddam apologist.

Perhaps it's because you're prejudiced against Iraqis, thinking that they're too stupid to make an educated decision about who to vote for. Think Saddam is necessary to 'keep the tribes in order', eh?
I said I wasn't stupid because I knew who he is

And it's not as simple as with or against. If you can't see that then you're the stupid one

Ziff

HSC
N/A
TheBirdMustFly said:
At least we agree on something

Yes it is! Don't ever say it isn't. Every1 has the right to the same job opportunities. Just because you arn't as economically better off as other ppl doesn't make you less able to learn.
Tertiary education should be a right.

You should have the right to choose how you benefit society, be it through TAFE, apprenticeships, going straight to a job or University. Everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want provided they are capable of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)