• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Latham or Howard? (1 Viewer)

Who would u vote if u had to choose b/w the following:

• Latham

Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Ziff said:
Geez, I joked when I heard the Senate result: "Shit, I'm gonna need a UAI of 95 just to do an Arts degree at UOW!" - maybe it's a actually a premonition...
Yea, now with the Liberal party controlling the senate, we're screwed, Uni will rise, Telstra will be fully privatised and Howard is going to remove unfair dismissal laws

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Well then maybe you should go to tafe and get some skills.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO UNIVERSITY TO BE SUCCESSFUL.
It's not a matter of success for me. Being an academic is hardly a successful career path :p

I am not the sort of person who is suit to the menial tasks of TAFE or the backstabbing and corruption of Business, sorry that I'm not ocker enough eh?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
We don't all get what we want.
I'm sorry but I think getting into uni is seen as too important a task by too many people,
yes people like you who WANT to be academics should go to uni, but the people who want to start their OWN business? They don't need to go to uni lol

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I don't see why not? An educated nation is a productive nation. We need technical skills too but we should be trying to expand and grow our intellectual base, it's the only way you can compete with the large economies like Japan, the EU and USA these days.

I mean we're still stuck in the mindset of "let's dig shit up from the ground and sell it overseas! YEAH YEAH!!!" of course this leads to the inevitable "oh that's pretty, let's buy it let's buy it from overseas!" and then you start running into problems.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea...but i think universities are filled with people that shouldn't be there, I mean although I don't think its fair to pull some people out and say 'you're not suited to university, you can't come', i think people need to be better educated on what university actually is.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea...but i think universities are filled with people that shouldn't be there, I mean although I don't think its fair to pull some people out and say 'you're not suited to university, you can't come', i think people need to be better educated on what university actually is.
A 3-5 year tax payer funded drug and sex festival :D

This is sarcastic and plays on the attitudes of certain people in society.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No no not like that...
I think if your father is a labourer you should aim for being an academic IF THATS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT, however if ur father owns his own business... you want to get into that business, you don't need to go to uni and take up business to do that.

Lets remember you can still get educated if that is what you want, but university is special academic based learning which I believe is suited to a limited ammount of people.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
No no not like that...
I think if your father is a labourer you should aim for being an academic IF THATS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT, however if ur father owns his own business... you want to get into that business, you don't need to go to uni and take up business to do that.

Lets remember you can still get educated if that is what you want, but university is special academic based learning which I believe is suited to a limited ammount of people.
Err you realise there are Business degrees at university? And agriculture degrees/courses?

ellymelly

HSC
ok, I choose this thread to say:

HOWARD WON with an INCREASED MAJORITY

_the australian public has made their choice.

Jessisbored

HSC
its painful listening to everyone speak to highly about latham, hes an idiot...what hes just gonna give money away and bankrupt the economy just like he did to his tiny liverpool council (huge deficit there). Interest rates will rise as a result, and inflation. and his promises are shit, medicare gold wasnt backed by doctors and people over 75 generally get free healthcare already. If they are guarenteed a hospital bed then the rest of us 74's and under might not get a place in hospital with the nurse shortages. He thinks he's on a shopping spree the idiot, i wouldnt trust him with my life let alone the 800 billion dollar economy

Jessisbored

HSC
and if uni was free than wed get ppl just going round and round doing more and more courses and never settling down just like they used to.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yet Howard's promises, despite offering just as much if not more, were sound, I assume?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
and why is that?
University is an educational institution, for tertiary study. anyone who attains the UAI for a particular course at a particular uni deserves their place.
to the others.
unfounded comments like 'so and so is an idiot', are not at all insightful or backed by evidence.
I get yelled at for responding to a personal comment, but it's alright for somebody else to randomly insult politicians. Oh I love the spirit of democracy.
No one said uni should be free, just affordable.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't believe that howard will keep to all his promises..
I don't think many people even know what howards promises are.

They voted by their own circumstances, alot of older people feel for whatever reason that australia is economically better now. Alot of young people are just worried about getting into university because they're convinced that's the only way to get rich.

Yes I know that you can do business degree's at uni.. but they don't necessarily make it easier for you to take over your fathers business or start your own business, they often provide more knowledge than what is needed to run a modern business effectively.

Cherryblossom i often feel there is a misconception amungst people that to be successful you HAVE to go to uni, alot of people are going to uni to start their own businesses or become designers etc... If you are not academic and only are after the skills to do the job/do the job at a professional level there are many other institutions that offer this... Universities provide yes some skills training but alot of it is just academic theory.

Last edited:

lengstar

HSC
ellymelly said:
ok, I choose this thread to say:

HOWARD WON with an INCREASED MAJORITY

_the australian public has made their choice.
congradufuckinglations we already know. or do you live 24 hours behind the rest of civilisation? in that case go back to whereever you came from.

lengstar

HSC
Jessisbored said:
its painful listening to everyone speak to highly about latham, hes an idiot...what hes just gonna give money away and bankrupt the economy just like he did to his tiny liverpool council (huge deficit there). Interest rates will rise as a result, and inflation. and his promises are shit, medicare gold wasnt backed by doctors and people over 75 generally get free healthcare already. If they are guarenteed a hospital bed then the rest of us 74's and under might not get a place in hospital with the nurse shortages. He thinks he's on a shopping spree the idiot, i wouldnt trust him with my life let alone the 800 billion dollar economy
your an idiot! you sound just like that slut on chaser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)