Law at Macquarie or UTS? (plz don't bring UNSW or USYD into this, thankyou) (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
hey all I'm sure there are alot of people out there who have decided upon law as their future career, and aren't deterred by the astronomically high ATAR that's required to study such a course. Of course I didn't get into law at USYD or UNSW but I do have my pick of either Macquarie or UTS.

Here are some points I've thought about in assessing my options and mabye this'll give u some food for thought. Please feel free to add to this or correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not the most informed individual out there.

1)Pros to studying at Macquarie

-has a greater international reputation
-new world class library opening in 2011
-great campus with lots of places to hang out with friends in between and after lectures
-more prestigious alumni who are involved in promoting Macq U worldwide
-more partner universities overseas so there are more options for international exchange
-higher starting salaries for law graduates from Macq U

Cons

-the teaching of law at Macquarie is more traditional and places more emphasis on theory over practicality

2)Pros to studying at UTS

-apparently the quality of teaching there is better
-the option to do Practical Legal Training as part of ur degree, which saves time and money, and also means u will be admitted as a legal practitioner sooner than graduates from other universities
-its really close to the city CBD and within easy reach of the entertainment facilities of the inner city, not to mention the districts of chinatown, the Haymarket and George Street
-apparently UTS combines the best of both theory and practicality
-UTS has more connections in Industry, and its easier to get internships or work placement opportunities with the support of the Law Students Society

Cons

-the lack of a campus (its just one big building)

This is all I've got so far, I know its not much in the way of the disadvantages of studying at either unis, but no university would make it known to people of the cons associated with studying at that particular university. Once again plz add to this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Failure_123

HSC
I would avoid UTS at all cost considering the amount of idiots get in with an atar of 60 but also because ultimo tafe is nearby...but then macquarie is so damn far.

Also both uni have just about the same reputation (both nationally and internationally). So it's really a toin coss if you ask me.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I would avoid UTS at all cost considering the amount of idiots get in with an atar of 60 but also because ultimo tafe is nearby...but then macquarie is so damn far.

Also both uni have just about the same reputation (both nationally and internationally). So it's really a toin coss if you ask me.
wtf, last time I checked law needed like 99.80 or something. I.T is around 90. design, architecture and art courses require atars around 88 to around 97 You clearly don't know the facts right.

rajputsingh

HSC
I was in the same boat as you last year. I chose Mac because it provides more of a university lifestyle. Pretty much for the rest of our lives after finishing our degrees, we will be working in the city and in office buildings. I know this may be a minor issue to most but I believe you must consider it. Also, in regards to the PLT, from what I've heard, the PLT program at St Leonards is a great way to connect and create relationships with other upcoming lawyers. So by doing it internally, although you save money and time, you don't get the opportunity to create those relationships.

sean1990

HSC
I go to MQ for law, so I'm probably being bias.
just in regard to UTS having a more active law society, I totally disagree. MULS at MQ is excellent, it is one of it's prime assets for law students and to be honest I dont think many law student bodies in Australia come close.
I wouldnt worry about your PLT to be honest. as the above post states, you are kind of disadvantaging yourself if you choose to do it at uni rather than a workplace, in which you may be offered employment once its completed.

MQ has a new library opening which looks amazing, it has a great campus, Macquarie centre (like a westfields) across the road etc.
UTS has the city. you can get a bus or train from MQ and be in the city in 10-15minutes, so I wouldnt worry too much.

I don't know if the UTS teaching quality is better, I dont think MQ is more theoretical rather than practical, it all depends on the unit and how it is taught, every unit is different and so its quite difficult to judge.

I think if you want to go to the city everyday and enjoy that environment then go to UTS if u want a more university campus feel with similarly good facilities then go to MQ. I think the teaching qualities are very similar.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I had offers from both UTS and Mac. I chose Macquarie...but that was because of their ancient history department.

Your list of pros for Macquarie is problematic. For example, you assume that you will have friends and that there will be adequate seating to hang out with them on campus. What I am sure about with the Macquarie law program is that they love to fill you up with complete crap that has no application to the real world. But I guess that is what PLT is for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)