law at usyd/unsw post atar release (1 Viewer)

HSC
wait so in terms of post degree ive heard usyd and unsw are quite similar so am not too concerned with this.

Unsw seems to be a higher ranked uni for law over usyd? (only by just like 3 spots according to QS Ed)

I thought both were quite prestigious?

sheppy123

HSC
The top tier law firms who pay grads the highest salaries look for USyd, it’s either a conscious or unconscious bias but it’s there. Most of the partners in these law firms went USyd hence the bias. USyd doesn’t make you a better lawyer or smarter but it’s a massive head start as a grad. They keep it premium at 99.5 to get in and no LAT.
Yes, absolutely. HOWEVER, it is definitely changing. It’s becoming more noticeable that grads from Macquarie uni and even UTS are getting roles at minterellison and ashurst etc. Sadly the prestige is fading away from law, you can get into big6 even without a degree from a go8 uni. Just as long as you have a distinction, which is considerably easier to achieve compared to USYD.

However, I don’t think a firm like Allen’s would ever change their recruiting process to accommodate for graduates from those universities, especially considering the people in charge of hiring and their recruiting criteria. They want the best of the best and will never settle.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
wait so in terms of post degree ive heard usyd and unsw are quite similar so am not too concerned with this.

Unsw seems to be a higher ranked uni for law over usyd? (only by just like 3 spots according to QS Ed)

I thought both were quite prestigious?
they are, there isn’t much to differ between them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)