Law at UWS: any good? (1 Viewer)

filip23

HSC
hey guys

just wanted to get people's opinions/experiences of studying law at UWS. i'm just trying to get some sort of insight into whether it's a decent place to study law. i've heard all about USyd and UNSW being 'top' unis to study law at (in terms of the quality/style of teaching and all that prestige mumbo-jumbo).

i'd love to hear from people who are studying or have studied law at UWS. Do they teach law on a more heavily theoretical basis or are they quite practical? Is the level of difficulty and standards very high? (i've heard that the standards at Usyd and UNSW are much higher??) Quality of lecturers/professors? Have UWS law graduates found that they were somewhat disadvantaged when seeking employment?

i'd appreciate any responses,
thanks.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
law at any uni is the same thing... you're getting taught by teachers that have gone Melbourne Uni, Monash, Deakin, Usyd, UNSW, etc at any uni you go to... I know a guy who did a business degree at Melbourne uni who had a really hard time finding a job... Do things to make you stand out also: work part time, get involved in activities around school, perhaps compete in moots... everything helps when finding a jobbie...

J18134

HSC
From what ive heard its much worse than at usyd or unsw and in a profession like law where its important where you graduated from, its not worth going to uws

lawstu

HSC
I wouldn't rule out the practicality or purpose of a basic legal education - and I use basic not to malign the quality or anything of its law courses, but I am making reference to the fact that, after you graduate, you've still got a long way - at UWS.

I can't tell you anything specific or anything for sure, so I guess you have to do your own research and thinking - what you want to do with your qualification? what do you want from your education? What I can tell you is that UWS has churned out pretty damn good law graduates, interns, clerks, lawyers, academics, etc.

Here are some previous threads:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1632888
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=281229
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=279459
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=254429
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=273412

I also know that, despite being a relatively young law school, they have strong and accessible lecturers (including Michael Kirby) and helpful staff and a solid library.
From what ive heard its much worse than at usyd or unsw and in a profession like law where its important where you graduated from, its not worth going to uws
Though they shouldn't have, as it might seem like favouritism or unprofessional, some partners have said that it seldom boils down to such a superficial factor. What matters more is how you do and what matters so much more is what you (also) do.

Good luck with the decision and the HSC. You're pretty lucky in that you still have time and you're young!

is a roflcopter
HSC
a lot of fluffers at bos will tell you it doesnt matter blah blah blah its all about you and your personality blah blah blah. and that unsw and usyd com/law is just all dropkick antisocial nerds who just studied really hard in the hsc,etc

The whirlpool graduate forums will give you a good indication of how reality works - lots of horror stories from people at UWS working for 35k at a surbuban firm or unemployed, unable to pass college of law because they dont have the PLT hours, needing to pay for PLT at leo cussens.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Its all about your personality, extra-curriculars etc..

95% of the students at Usyd/UNSW comm/law are just all dropkick antisocial nerds who just studied really hard in the HSC and decided to do law at these uni's because their atar was high

Immortalp00n

HSC

95% of the students at Usyd/UNSW comm/law are just all dropkick antisocial nerds who just studied really hard in the HSC and decided to do law at these uni's because their atar was high
or coz they missed out on medicine and didn't want to be a failure in the eyes of their community..

J18134

HSC
a lot of fluffers at bos will tell you it doesnt matter blah blah blah its all about you and your personality blah blah blah. and that unsw and usyd com/law is just all dropkick antisocial nerds who just studied really hard in the hsc,etc

The whirlpool graduate forums will give you a good indication of how reality works - lots of horror stories from people at UWS working for 35k at a surbuban firm or unemployed, unable to pass college of law because they dont have the PLT hours, needing to pay for PLT at leo cussens.
This. But it does make sense. Most BOS are in school, university students so they dont really have that real world knowledge unless theyve done proper research.

antisocialunsw

HSC

Harsh.

Right on the money, though.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
In competitive fields like law and business, the university you attend holds bearing.

Timothy6340

HSC
At the end of the day, its still the same qualification! Sure, degrees from top notch Unis such USYD or UNSW come with a higher reputation, but in this day and age that only takes you so far. Either way, after you land your first job, you will have experience and thats what employers look for anyway.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are planning to get Clerkships at the Big 6 or mid tier firms (NR, A&O, Corrs etc), the uni that you go to does actually matter. Most of the clerks come from UNSW/USYD with some from UTS/MQ. If you don't secure a clerkship, then you will not be employed at those firms when you graduate. They recruit graduate positions from their clerkship programs.

If you aren't looking at clerkships but just want to practice law at some small firm, then it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

I Study Hard

HSC
I wouldn't listen to people saying you don't get jobs if you go to UWS. I know plenty of people who have GOOD jobs who are UWS Law graduates. However, I wouldn't recommend UWS Law if you have the choice for the simple reason that they have recently cut HALF of the available LLB electives. Of the half that are left they are only running a handful. It's ridiculous!
Before the cuts were made I would have recommended UWS Law but not now.
If you don't have a choice then doing UWS law will not restrict you from getting a job, simply apply yourself in your coursework and this will not be an issue.

is a roflcopter
HSC
people have different definitions of GOOD - whats yours?

i guess some people are happier doing the 9-5 suburban law firm thing

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
people have different definitions of GOOD - whats yours?

i guess some people are happier doing the 9-5 suburban law firm thing
lol

guys

UWS
Notre Dame
or
Macq

I'm only working for a few years than opening up though, if that makes a difference.

?

is a roflcopter
HSC
notre dame EZ - just fudge the address to say its the US one
also mention you play football

of course you have to look and sound the part with the american accent - im not sure if thats too high of a price to pay

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
notre dame EZ - just fudge the address to say its the US one
also mention you play football

of course you have to look and sound the part with the american accent - im not sure if thats too high of a price to pay
lol
does Notre Dame have good job prospects?

lawstu

HSC
lol

guys

UWS
Notre Dame
or
Macq

I'm only working for a few years than opening up though, if that makes a difference.

?
Depends what you want.

If it were me and among those three, Macq U. (See http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1612964 and http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=254281 for Macq. things.) UWS has apparently suffered the devastating loss of several electives, is ridiculously far from my place, and certainly doesn't seem good or isn't as good - at least for me.

I personally do not trust Notre Dame and its "Catholic ethos". I find it incredibly suspect that they even teach medicine. While it is their university and the RCC has a hand in its operation, and though I agree with some Catholic social teaching (not that the RCC has a monopoly on social justice, if but a self-professed emphasis on egalitarianism, liberty, and whatnot), I do not find that their pedagogical philosophy is something I can overlook, and I think that it would conflict with the quality of education and intellectualism.
For reading on ND, http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1862254 and http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1802581 (for both ND and UWS).

For non-top-10, do your utmost and go to New South, Sydney, Monash, Melbourne, and ANU, for the universities in south-eastern Australia.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)