Law students: do you think about quitting law? (1 Viewer)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Undertaking Jurisprudence in your first year and first semester at Macquarie has always been a bit confusing for me. I can understand that it can help with your legal reasoning, philosophical foundations and legal analysis skills, however considering that it is a 4th year subject at USYD and UNSW, I've just got to ask the question: "wth??". There are some Macq transfers in my class this year and they said Jurisprudence was really random as a subject but they're glad they won't have to relive it again later on in the undergraduate careers lol.
Jurisprudence is one of those units that Mq students will never forget but if asked what they remember, we can't honestly answer you because all we remember is pain - all of the actual content was a blur and wtf?

The "proper" answer to your question that the uni tell us is that they put that subject first because they want us to think about and question the law before we start our law degrees and become blinding accepting of the existing legal system... insert other key words like "critical thinking" "critical analysis" etc...

But, we are so glad we don't have to do that unit again... but somehow in every other law unit they still manage to put in a little Jurisprudence so it just keeps coming back to haunt us..

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Atlas: Just a side note, I hail from unsw...but yeh, we feel the same pain, i is access student~
OOOO - UNSW... you have such new colourful buildings very conducive to learning :rofl:

Fear not.... judging by the threads on BOS - UNSW law students are convinced that UNSW is the "most awesome" uni for law and law graduates from there will be worshipped by the rest of us lesser graduates who wished we went there too :haha:

sampanye

HSC
i don't think many people plan to do a law degree and not end up practicing.
"In 1994 one survey showed that one in four Australian law graduates did not intend to practise as a lawyer. Another recently claimed almost half the new law students in NSW had no intention of becoming lawyers." - Law Institute Victoria, Index of /public/pdflawdegree.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)