Law students (only) :D (1 Viewer)

izzy88

HSC
Does anyone here have Hon. ?
I hope to graduate with honours, but I am luckily under the old system at USYD, where you graduate with first class honours if you get a law wam of 75 or above. For people graduating after me, you have to do a thesis in 5th year and have a wam over 80 to get first class. I think it's going to be pretty difficult for them - the Uni medalist last year got wam 86.5, so there just aren't that many people with a wam over 80!

I might transfer from commerce to social science, so it'd just be criminal..
not sure if i'm limiting my career aspects too much by.

You aren't really limiting your law career by not doing commerce. I did an arts degree with law, and I'm doing the clerkship stuff at the moment, and none of the large commercial firms care that I have no commerce experience- you learn it on the job- you just have to show you are willing to learn/are interested. :)

Guesss

HSC
yeh i do law
rrly?! lol who are yoU?

I might have met you in one of my subjects.
but law students tend to stick to themselves. (particularly after 1st year).
It's a big law school too.
I think it was something like 800 first years enrolled.
I presume half of them drop out, and the other 1/4 transfer to other law schools, since in my 4th year subject there was only 4 classes available (so a maximum of 120 students enrolled in that subject)
Which subs are yu doing?

Nearly died from laughter after I saw this whole post. Absolutely 110% true.
lool glad it made someone smile ! :)

izzy88

HSC
I was hoping to graduate with Honours. Guess that won't happen now that Sydney has upped the requirements from 75 WAM to 80 WAM.
It's first class honours with wam over 80. You can get second class with above 75. But you also need to do a thesis in fifth year. I personally think they've made it too hard - with the belcurving they introduced it's harder to get the higher marks anyway, let alone also increasing the honours requirements. I guess it brings it into line with the rest of university (over 80 is normal benchmark for first class), but it's still frustrating.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's first class honours with wam over 80. You can get second class with above 75. But you also need to do a thesis in fifth year. I personally think they've made it too hard - with the belcurving they introduced it's harder to get the higher marks anyway, let alone also increasing the honours requirements. I guess it brings it into line with the rest of university (over 80 is normal benchmark for first class), but it's still frustrating.
Yeah, was hoping for 1st class. :p
Oh well. 2nd class is ok I guess. Same with a Pass degree. :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
what's the mark to get the university medal for USYD?
Or is it only one, and the top person gets it?
As far as I know, (and admittedly, I don't know much, given that I'm in second year, and am far far away from the Honours/Medal etc end of my degree), only one person per cohort gets the University Medal. And last year, that person got a WAM of 86.

izzy88

HSC
what's the mark to get the university medal for USYD?
Or is it only one, and the top person gets it?
Under the old system: Generally its only one person (whoever has the highest wam), unless there are two people at the top with identical marks (which would be rare). As Aerath said, last year the Uni medalist got a WAM of 86.

Under the new system (coming in for those graduating semester 2 2013): Still generally just one person, but I would assume it would be the person with the highest wam out of the people that undertook the honours program (ie. wrote a thesis).

The whole law honours/university medal system is different in comparison to the rest of uni - in most other faculties that I know of, the uni medalist needs to have an honours mark of over 90 to get the medal, but for law I think it just has to be over 85 (i guess because otherwise they would never be able to give out the medal!).

Guesss

HSC
looll okay then -.-

ps. i jst uploaded a pic in the pics thread... tell me if iv seen yu at uni or not?! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)