Lear - Dramatic Techniques (2 Viewers)

Geohood

HSC
I had 20 mins to do this and I absolutely hate Lear. I wrote about imagery, figurative language, thought up a biblical allusion and included 'royal plurals' from what I heard outside the exam room lol.... if I reckon I tried my best to answer the question they gave us would I get anywhere near... lets say 12?

liam9519

HSC
emma9440 said:
dudeee you're set! dramatic techniques are pretty much any literary/staging device used by shakespeare...if you discussed anything from irony to language to stage directions you're sweet.

its the idiots who focused their essays on different productions rather than their own interpretation that are screwed!
True that!

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
LOL im so excited that we're finished english for good. And I had that bloody Design and technology too....what a relief. anyways...

Like for the Lear essay we didnt really learn much from the various productions but had some idea of them. My teacher always said that the critical study is also a close study and the markers definately say the same. Now, all I could come up wit in the exam was tons abut characterisation and the strength of their dramatic roles, the themes and how they are dramatically emphasised through the roles developed, the Edmund soliloquy and the irony of the Fool's wisdom.

Someone who is not a complete idiot please gimme some assurance of possibly how went....I know there are smart ones here LOL . :)

anyways next UP is maths and Ext maths lol

so good luck all
CRANK

tau281290

HSC
emma9440 said:
dudeee you're set! dramatic techniques are pretty much any literary/staging device used by shakespeare...if you discussed anything from irony to language to stage directions you're sweet.

its the idiots who focused their essays on different productions rather than their own interpretation that are screwed!
LoL for those who did pure productions and readings.

What if you focused your essay on Shakespeare's King Lear rather than your own interpretation lol?

liam9519

HSC
sounds fine to me, in fact I wish I'd remembered to mention the irony in the Fool haha, just remembered I had a good point about that.

Just the one thing is one of the rubric dot points on the paper says something like the reception of texts in different contexts. But its just fucking confusing really and the board did not make it very clear at all whether to explain such a thing you need to talk about productions, or readings, or not at all.

I just talked about characterisation and lanaguage features and the 'memorable ideas' i.e. my personal interpretation, but no mention of productions or 'readings' as such.

I think youre fine...

edit: aimed at CRANK ^^

danz90

HSC
liam9519 said:
sounds fine to me, in fact I wish I'd remembered to mention the irony in the Fool haha, just remembered I had a good point about that.

Just the one thing is one of the rubric dot points on the paper says something like the reception of texts in different contexts. But its just fucking confusing really and the board did not make it very clear at all whether to explain such a thing you need to talk about productions, or readings, or not at all.

I just talked about characterisation and lanaguage features and the 'memorable ideas' i.e. my personal interpretation, but no mention of productions or 'readings' as such.

I think youre fine...

edit: aimed at CRANK ^^
an adviser on the HSC advice line said it is essential to include readings/productions, but make sure they do not overshadow your personal interpretation. make it as if they have enhanced your personal response only.

cccclaire

HSC
language techniques are dramatic techniques.

In some ways, if you didn't analyse the language techniques you're screwed, because if you read all the markers comments for like the past 4 years it always says more detail is needed on the techniques of Shakespeare's actual text.

And yeh, if you focused like 70% on dramatic/language techniques and like 30% on a personal response (and perhaps mentioned readings and one or two productions) you're sweet as.

danz90

HSC
cccclaire said:
language techniques are dramatic techniques.

In some ways, if you didn't analyse the language techniques you're screwed, because if you read all the markers comments for like the past 4 years it always says more detail is needed on the techniques of Shakespeare's actual text.

And yeh, if you focused like 70% on dramatic/language techniques and like 30% on a personal response (and perhaps mentioned readings and one or two productions) you're sweet as.
that's pretty much what i did. :)

tau281290

HSC
danz90 said:
an adviser on the HSC advice line said it is essential to include readings/productions, but make sure they do not overshadow your personal interpretation. make it as if they have enhanced your personal response only.
I included 1 sentence of production/reading at max.

tau281290

HSC
Its all personal, just between me and Shakespeare =P

Shakespeare was telling me his secrets while I was speed writing xD

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I did that too, lol

...but I think I one paragraph I forgot to talk of the other perspective with a sentence.

edit: its all my perspective too

Alex499

HSC
crap.
How much do you think I'll be marked down for doing like 60 Shakespeare 40 Eyre? I incorporated the Eyre part though, said some bs about memorable ideas being portrayed through the continued adaptation throughout the ages.

tau281290

HSC
I did like 98% Me and Shakespeare + 2% Nahum Tate.

I also mentioned textual integrity in the conclusion which I have little idea what it is about. x(

Last edited:

b-rad-08

HSC
The entire question didn't JUST expect you to discuss dramatic techniques. You were required to discuss 'memorable ideas'. Textual integrity (memorable) and themes and motifs (ideas).

As long as you added some elements of dramatic technique and talked about the other aspects as well, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

ronash

HSC
rani.g. said:
Under dramatic techniques I used things like symbolism, dramatic irony, similes, extended metaphor, motif, repetition, allusion...and even really specific langauge techniques like sentence structure, simile and rhetorical question. The way I figure it, the text was written for theatre, and the words the actors speak are written for dramatic effect, thus rendering 'dramatic techniques' inclusive of what otherwise would be classed as 'language techniques'.
you hit it on the head there...

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
externalising the internal (Lear's downfall to madness in welcoming the storm "Blow winds and crack your cheeks..." etc) - essential dramatic technique cause in a novel for example the author is able to write how the character feels but with theater it must be either said or shown.

Dule plot line.

yea... found this one really hard :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)