• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
If a number is the root of a polynomial with algebraic co-efficients, is that number itself necessarily algebraic?
Yeah. The composition of two finite-degree field extensions is finite (degrees being multiplicative), and finite-degree extensions are algebraic.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Can someone just send me the link if they're not bothered to type it cause apparently it's a very famous result...

the obvious, messy, tedious, disgusting method of doing this is to convert the entire thing into a polynomial in terms of e^{m pi/200}

any elegant solution is beyond me.

this is probably a red herring but... 1037 = 61*17

leehuan

HSC
the obvious, messy, tedious, disgusting method of doing this is to convert the entire thing into a polynomial in terms of e^{m pi/200}

any elegant solution is beyond me.

this is probably a red herring but... 1037 = 61*17
o_O

But 100-39=61

1037=17(100-39) how could THAT be useful...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
o_O

But 100-39=61

1037=17(100-39) how could THAT be useful...
There's a paper which analyses similar sums, but the summand term is a quotient of perfect squares rather than different things.

Also, the general sum evaluates to Q(R-Q) where R is the final summand index.

39 = 2(17)+1 but that feels like a red herring to me.

seanieg89

HSC
Can someone just send me the link if they're not bothered to type it cause apparently it's a very famous result...

Thought of a method that should work (and give us a more general formula), but it takes some doing. Will work through the details later today and post them when I do.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

seanieg89

HSC
Thought of a method that should work (and give us a more general formula), but it takes some doing. Will work through the details later today and post them when I do.
Okay, I actually really can't be bothered to write everything up, but I will sketch each step of my computation. (This will evaluate the sum for any pair of odd integers in the numerator. Extending this to treat non-odd integers is not difficult, but it clutters the computations with (-1)^n parity factors.)

(This proof isn't very clean and there could very well be a nicer way of going about things.)

1. By using the products to differences formula, it suffices to figure out how to calculate things of the form

2. Now a couple of trig identities, together with De'Moivres and the geometric series formula allow us to deduce the recurrence relation

3. This is just a simple inhomogenous difference equation, In fact the LHS of the above is just a second order difference about m, which motivates the solution being quadratic. Indeed, all solutions are of the form , with A and B undetermined constants. This reduces the problem to computing A and B.

4. This can be done by explicitly computing and solving the resulting simultaneous equations. To compute these two intial values of J, we have to sum 1/(1+cos(k*pi/100)). The summand is equal to 1/(2cos^2(k*pi/200)). We can treat such sums in ways analogous to the calculation in the "rigorous elementary method" section of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem.

Putting this all together completes the computation. I definitely won't write the whole working out, but I will write out my resulting formulae.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Yep, the computations work out.

Suppose A > B are odd integers.

If you follow the above guidelines, you should obtain:

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
(If you understand the above, then it would be good exercise for your algebra skills to generalise the result, both by replacing 100 by an arbitrary even number, and then by allowing for arbitrary parity of A,B,n.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Sadly that doesn't fully make sense - we haven't done vectorial geometry; we're just doing an intro topic. (Though it kinda makes sense..)

We've only just defined what a plane was last lecture

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sadly that doesn't fully make sense - we haven't done vectorial geometry; we're just doing an intro topic. (Though it kinda makes sense..)

We've only just defined what a plane was last lecture

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
So braindead...

A pretty ghetto way of doing it: For a point (x,y,z) on the line with parameter t, we have:

3x-3y-z=6t-3t-3t=0.

But the set of ALL (x,y,z) such that 3x-3y-z=c is a plane parallel to the given plane for any constant c (*). (Indeed that's why we evaluated this particular linear combination.)

=> the given line lies in a plane parallel to the given plane and is hence itself parallel to the given plane.

(*) To observe that the planes ax+by+cz=k are parallel as k varies, we can for instance make z the subject and interpret varying k as translating our plane in the z dimension, which intuitively preserves parallelism. (Rigorously we could also easily note that no point can lie on two such planes for different k, nonintersection being equivalent to nontrivial parallelism in this case.)

leehuan

HSC
I think InteGrand's added post was the thing I'm forced to use...

leehuan

HSC
That trigonometric sum still bugs me a tiny bit though. How do you reckon it was conjectured to begin with?

seanieg89

HSC
That trigonometric sum still bugs me a tiny bit though. How do you reckon it was conjectured to begin with?
Where did you find this sum in the first place? That should provide a good clue as to the cleanest known way to compute it.

Anyway, if you find a satisfactory explanation for why it works out the way it does, please post it here.

I will probably have another think about it this evening to see if I can find a nicer way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)