• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Where did you find this sum in the first place? That should provide a good clue as to the cleanest known way to compute it.

Anyway, if you find a satisfactory explanation for why it works out the way it does, please post it here.

I will probably have another think about it this evening to see if I can find a nicer way.
From my calculus lecturer. That's the thing, I forgot what exactly he said.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
From my calculus lecturer. That's the thing, I forgot what exactly he said.
Did he provide a proof or proof sketch of it? If so, can you recall any of the details of it (these may provide some clues)?

leehuan

HSC
Did he provide a proof or proof sketch of it? If so, can you recall any of the details of it (these may provide some clues)?
Nope.

Gave it blindly to us and said have a go at it and he'll post the answers up on moodle (UNSW help forum for each course)

leehuan

HSC
The question:

One of the parts that I figured out (spoiler tagged for colour coding)

The part I am stuck on

All I know: Passes through (0,0,0,0), is an unbounded region. What else?

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Where did you find this sum in the first place? That should provide a good clue as to the cleanest known way to compute it.

Anyway, if you find a satisfactory explanation for why it works out the way it does, please post it here.

I will probably have another think about it this evening to see if I can find a nicer way.
I found two things on SE remotely related to this identity form.

Trigonometric identity involving sum of “Dirichlet kernel like” fractions

Elegant Trigonometric Sums

seanieg89

HSC
So I did have another think about it and couldn't come up with a much nicer way.

I wrote out my proof though, so perhaps that will be of some help to people who want to understand it more.

Remark: You might expect with an answer as simple as , there must be a much quicker way of computing the sum. Whilst there could very well be a faster way of computing the sum, note that that expression is only valid under the assumption that a >= b. (If not, then think about the fact that each summand is symmetric in a and b, but the resulting sum is not!) If we wanted to relax the assumption that a >= b, our answer would actually be

which is not quite as nice.

Also note that we had similar asymmetric dependence on the larger/smaller parameters in a trigonometric integral I posted in the MX2 integration marathon a while back, this behaviour crops up often when multiplying two oscillatory expressions that oscillate at different rates and then summing/integrating.

Attachments

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
For anyone that doesn't remember, the integral referred to in my above post was

where .

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
What is a continued product? I have looked up the definitions, but I'm getting different definitions.

For reference, I'm looking at mathematical literature from the early 1900's.

seanieg89

HSC
What is a continued product? I have looked up the definitions, but I'm getting different definitions.

For reference, I'm looking at mathematical literature from the early 1900's.
It's just a name. Lots of old terminology like that is ambiguous and different mathematicians mean different things by it. I don't hear that particular name much in modern mathematics so I doubt you would get universal agreement on what objects to use that name for.

Drsoccerball

HSC
How can you tell the difference between a line and a plane when its in parametric form vs when its in Cartesian form?

leehuan

HSC
How can you tell the difference between a line and a plane when its in parametric form vs when its in Cartesian form?
Lines in R2:
ax+by=c

Planes in R3:
ax+by+cz=d

(Hyperplanes in R4: ax_1+bx_2+cx_3+dx_4=e)

Then parametrics aren't too bad either

Lines in R^n
x=a+lambdab

Planes in R^n
x=a+lambdab+muc

Drsoccerball

HSC
Lines in R2:
ax+by=c

Planes in R3:
ax+by+cz=d

(Hyperplanes in R4: ax_1+bx_2+cx_3+dx_4=e)

Then parametrics aren't too bad either

Lines in R^n
x=a+lambdab

Planes in R^n
x=a+lambdab+muc
Aren't lines just any vectors except when its in the form of a plane?

With no starting point?

leehuan

HSC
Aren't lines just any vectors except when its in the form of a plane?

With no starting point?
What? What do you mean lines are any vectors except when it's in the form of a plane?

And the plane you gave is essentially any plane... that is parallel through your vectors (...) passing through the origin
Assuming that yes, lambda and gamma are non-zero and the vectors aren't parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)