leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The locus can only be a full circle if the altitudes are allowed to project from the triangle extended outside the circle when the triangle is obtuse. If this is not the case, then you only get a circular arc.
I assumed they were allowed to, as I mentioned for one of the cases.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I assumed they were allowed to, as I mentioned for one of the cases.
You got the cases wrong.

Construct the cyclic rectangle AA'B'B. The midpoint of CD can only exist when P lies on the minor arc A'B'. Only when P lies on the major arc B'BAA', the interior altitude fails to exist.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
You got the cases wrong.

Construct the cyclic rectangle AA'B'B. The midpoint of CD can only exist when P lies on the minor arc A'B'. Only when P lies on the major arc B'BAA', the interior altitude fails to exist.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
The locus can only be a full circle if the altitudes are allowed to project from the triangle extended outside the circle when the triangle is obtuse. If this is not the case, then you only get a circular arc.
Now that Carrotsticks pointed out which paper it was, I found the question on Pg14 of this file.

It appears that these solutions did not care about if the full circle traced out, or if only the arc was
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/maths/4u/1202629887_1990_Mathematics_Extension_2_HSC.pdf

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Can someone show the steps of how they solved the equation by using cases ( include diagrams please ) :
For |x+1| - |x-2| = 2

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
How do you solve for each case though, can u go through the case for x<-1?

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
For the second case, would you say that lx+1l= x+1? I am not sure though about the lx-2l part though

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I am still quite confused on what is going on in the cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)