leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, can someone please help answer the questions showing full working Thankyou:)
FullSizeRender (9).jpg

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Guessing she meant all of them haha. They're mainly just tedious / dull.
Ahah they're from an early chapter in the Yr11 pender 3u book, so they're really meant for just-finished-yr10 levelish

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Ahah they're from an early chapter in the Yr11 pender 3u book, so they're really meant for just-finished-yr10 levelish
Haha yeah. Meant tedious like having to solve simultaneous equations etc.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
For 17, since B is on the y-axis the coordinate is (0,y)
use Pythagoreas theorem to find how high on the y axis it is

Use midpoint formula with A and B to find the midpoint of the ladder
and then use the distance formula from origin to the midpoint to find the radius

seanieg89

HSC
Can someone explain to me why there are no higher order analogues to the Gaussian Integers and Eisenstein Integers?

And for the sake of normal people, you are allowed to provide geometric intuition.
By this I assume you are asking why the only rings of the form S={a+bw : a,b integers} (equipped with the standard sum and product operations of C) where w is a complex number of unit modulus are the Gaussian integers and the Eisenstein integers.

(If you mean something else please clarify).

For starters, w must be a root of unity, otherwise its powers are dense in the unit circle (exercise). In fact this implies that the ring generated by S must be dense in the complex plane. As S is clearly not dense in the plane (because every nonzero point has magnitude >= min(1,Im(w)) for instance), this implies that S cannot be a ring when w is not a root of unity.

Let us now assume that w=e^(2*pi*i/n) for some n > 2.

We ask for which n will S be a ring.

As we require closure under multiplication and addition, we require:

w+1/w=w+w^(n-1) to be in S. But as this quantity is real this is the same as demanding that it be an integer.

This implies that the real part of w must be a half integer, so it can either be 0 or +-1/2, which yield the Gaussian and Eisenstein integers respectively.

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
By this I assume you are asking why the only rings of the form S={a+bw : a,b integers} (equipped with the standard sum and product operations of C) where w is a complex number of unit modulus are the Gaussian integers and the Eisenstein integers.

(If you mean something else please clarify).

For starters, w must be a root of unity, otherwise its powers are dense in the unit circle (exercise). In fact this implies that the ring generated by S must be dense in the complex plane. As S is clearly not dense in the plane (because every nonzero point has magnitude >= min(1,Im(w)) for instance), this implies that S cannot be a ring when w is not a root of unity.

Let us now assume that w=e^(2*pi*i/n) for some n > 2.

We ask for which n will S be a ring.

As we require closure under multiplication and addition, we require:

w+1/w=w+w^(n-1) to be in S. But as this quantity is real this is the same as demanding that it be an integer.

This implies that the real part of w must be a half integer, so it can either be 0 or +-1/2, which yield the Gaussian and Eisenstein integers respectively.
Yeah, that's all I needed. For the geometric intuition, could that be due to the lack of uniform grid coverage by the unit vectors? The Eisenstein integers form a triangular lattice over the complex plane, and the Gaussian integers form a square lattice over the complex plane. Nothing else could form a lattice structure like those two, so nothing else exists.

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah, that's all I needed. For the geometric intuition, could that be due to the lack of uniform grid coverage by the unit vectors? The Eisenstein integers form a triangular lattice over the complex plane, and the Gaussian integers form a square lattice over the complex plane. Nothing else could form a lattice structure like those two, so nothing else exists.
I don't know how easy/natural it would be to make such a geometric argument rigorous, as this seems to be more of an algebraic/number theoretic fact.

Like, you can tesselate the complex plane by any kind of rhombus you like (with the base one having vertices 0,1,1+w,w where w is an arbitrary non-real number of unit modulus), but the point is you can't pass the multiplicative structure of the complex numbers to this lattice for the reason above.

The restrictive condition is multiplicative closure.

Last edited:

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
How to do this question :

A) find the equation of the tangent to y= square root of x, -1. Where x=t
I differentiated this , then sub in t for x .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)