lets open our minds people (2 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The mosque should be allowed, but I should be allowed to construct a brothel next to it, also.

davin

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Though Australia is something like 91% white, while America is more like 60%...

Anyway, if Australia doesn't have a culture in the sense that other nations do, perhaps this is for the best. There seems to be no shortage of people being proud of being Australian (most notably with respect to sports) but the lack of some unique culture different from that anywhere else in the world could be a good thing. Look where "cultures" got the Balkans.
yeah, go in europe and see if the germans, french, and brits all consider themselves the same. that was part of my point, was that while some groups are more populous, being a majority white doesn't mean its a majority of the same ethnic group.

nwatts, i think you did ignore two things that benefitted america.... first, being much closer to europe, and second, there is the massive difference in population. i'd reckon its over 15 times the australian population, offhand.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
withoutaface said:
The mosque should be allowed, but I should be allowed to construct a brothel next to it, also.
yes, and i should be allowed to construct a brothel next to a childcare centre...

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
And how bout the government lift the restrictions of them being built in the vicinity of old folks homes, the old bastards need some fun before they kick the bucket.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
taco man said:
yes, and i should be allowed to construct a brothel next to a childcare centre...
Damn fucken right you should be.

snoozy_snewin

HSC
Generator said:
You're a bit of a snob yourself - why else would you claim that Liverpool is near as opposed to within the western suburbs?
thanku for pointing out where i live generator! but ur ryt that liverpool is in the western suburbs. i was always bad at geography! i stand by my views though, that north shore people are too swamped in their own cash to realise that australia is a multicultural country

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
snoozy_snewin said:
thanku for pointing out where i live generator! but ur ryt that liverpool is in the western suburbs. i was always bad at geography! i stand by my views though, that north shore people are too swamped in their own cash to realise that australia is a multicultural country
Not really in the broad sense.

Sydney and Melbourne are multicultural cities. Once you leave the cities you will see that Australia isn't all that multicultural with minimal numbers of non-anglo saxon, non-Aboriginal people living outside the major cities.

robo-andie

HSC
Xayma said:
Not really in the broad sense.

Sydney and Melbourne are multicultural cities. Once you leave the cities you will see that Australia isn't all that multicultural with minimal numbers of non-anglo saxon, non-Aboriginal people living outside the major cities.
It's true. Rural NSW lacks a variety of peoples from different ethnic groups. However, the majority of us can still appreciate diversity and accept it. Does this count towards Australias multicultural/diverse label?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Australia has one of the most urbanised populations in the world though. Imo rural dwellers are comparatively overrepresented in that respect. However I do believe that the thread-starter has a rather stereotypical perception of North Shore residents. Most of us are not like that.

robo-andie

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Australia has one of the most urbanised populations in the world though. Imo rural dwellers are comparatively overrepresented in that respect. However I do believe that the thread-starter has a rather stereotypical perception of North Shore residents. Most of us are not like that.
Some posters did come at this issue with an extreme amount of prejudice.

I can empathise with you about the stereotype. There are a lot of people who think my family and the families who live around us are snobs, just because of where we live and what car we drive. In all honesty, we are no different in terms of personality/attitude, we just have better 'stuff'.
The same can be said of those at the other end of the spectrum. Lower class citizens are not always more accepting and understanding in comparison to upper-middle class +. I have made the transition from one to the other, I haven't changed as a result. Nor has anyone else I know, that have risen in the ranks.

basically: stereotypes = bad.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
snoozy_snewin said:
Um...hello! this is the north shore you're on about! you can't expect them to relate to "normal people" and have "normal" values when they've spent most of their lives living among upper-class snobs. (no offence). i live near the western suburbs, and that would not be a problem as there is so much cultural diversity. THOSE people will not and can not relate to the "other side"! shame on them.
Fuck you.

Oh, and shame on you for reducing it to "us" and "you".

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
We do not live in a multi-cultural society, we live in a multi-racial society, as the former is fundamentally flawed. The sooner that people realise the implications of culture in relation to conflict, as history quite explicitly conveys, the better off Australia and other such countries will be...

Culture itself is such a subjective concept and in saying that, any effort to emphasise the value of one particular culture over another is intrinsically invalid. Features may be slightly more distinctive, but that in no way removes the value of the 'other'..

Some noted cultural conflicts :ninja: :

- Serbs and Croats
- Jews and Palestinians
- Shiites and Sunnies
- Greeks and Macedonians
- Japanese and Chinese
- Greeks and Spartans... etc etc etc

It may not be the driving force, the cultural difference existed as a catalyst in each of the aformentioned examples..

Although it may seem narrow minded, unless society exists in a uniform and consensual manner, which of course would be rather dull, then conflict will continue to exist and prosper. People are not scared of race, religion or ethnicity; Individuals and the collective are scared of DIFFERENCE. Its an inherent trait of human nature and the human mentality, and until the idealistic, leftist dreamers of the world realise that human foibles will ruin their plight for perfection, we will have to continue to debate an array of endless debates..

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Um...hello! this is the western suburbs you're on about! you can't expect them to relate to "normal people" and have "normal" values when they've spent most of their lives living among lower-class scum. (no offence). i live near the north shore, and that would not be a problem as there is so much cultural diversity. THOSE people will not and can not relate to the "other side"! shame on them.

cwotididther?

banco55

HSC
I think it's kind of funny how noone would go to Japan, China or Egypt and say "hey you know what would make this place really interesting? If we shipped over 3 million greeks, 2 million south americans etc.". Yet people go to say some of the WASPish australian/UK/US places and seriously complain about a lack of "diversity". Incidentally ring up the embassy of just about any non-western country and tell them you are interested in immigrating to that country and you want to know what the process is. See how far you get.

Last edited:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
robo-andie said:
It's true. Rural NSW lacks a variety of peoples from different ethnic groups. However, the majority of us can still appreciate diversity and accept it. Does this count towards Australias multicultural/diverse label?
So what, is it a requirement? Obviously you haven't been to Griffith or Cooma, high number of immigrants from the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

HSC
frog12986 said:
We do not live in a multi-cultural society, we live in a multi-racial society, as the former is fundamentally flawed. The sooner that people realise the implications of culture in relation to conflict, as history quite explicitly conveys, the better off Australia and other such countries will be...

Culture itself is such a subjective concept and in saying that, any effort to emphasise the value of one particular culture over another is intrinsically invalid. Features may be slightly more distinctive, but that in no way removes the value of the 'other'..

Some noted cultural conflicts :ninja: :

- Serbs and Croats
- Jews and Palestinians
- Shiites and Sunnies
- Greeks and Macedonians
- Japanese and Chinese
- Greeks and Spartans... etc etc etc

It may not be the driving force, the cultural difference existed as a catalyst in each of the aformentioned examples..

Although it may seem narrow minded, unless society exists in a uniform and consensual manner, which of course would be rather dull, then conflict will continue to exist and prosper. People are not scared of race, religion or ethnicity; Individuals and the collective are scared of DIFFERENCE. Its an inherent trait of human nature and the human mentality, and until the idealistic, leftist dreamers of the world realise that human foibles will ruin their plight for perfection, we will have to continue to debate an array of endless debates..
Nailed it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)