lets open our minds people (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

The downfall of rome was not due to "diversity". It was due to the Church and the fact that anything the Church touched turned to crap.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
The downfall of rome was not due to "diversity". It was due to the Church and the fact that anything the Church touched turned to crap.
Rome fell before the catholics gained any real power.

robo-andie

HSC
bshoc said:
If by that you mean burned out cars, rioting islamic youths, homos etc. .. then no, its been a loss for anybody with a drop of sanity. Certainly limited diversity based on compatability has led to gains, for example Italians or any other European migrants, but thats mainly becuase European cultures are compatible and intechangable.
No, that's not what I meant.

I was more thinking about how Australia managed to gain some ground once it abolished the white australia policy and became more diverse.

Or how a significant portion of the American workforce depends on immigrants.

The growth of Germany as a culturally rich and diverse country prior to Hitler and his Nazi party.

The increase in restaurants which provide a variety of meals from other countries. Which gives consumers more choice and some very healthy alternatives to what they could find before.

The benefits global diversity has had for sport and music. The Olympics is an example of how diversity has benefited sport. Eurovision (however tacky it may be) is an example of diversity in music.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Err it was actually political instability (assasinations), foreign invasions and lower tax revenue that caused the fall of rome.

I was more thinking about how Australia managed to gain some ground once it abolished the white australia policy and became more diverse.
Is this the only benefit you can think of? A cheap workforce and 'more resturants' ?

Or how a significant portion of the American workforce depends on immigrants.
You mean... illegal immigrants that get paid close to nothing, and now can't recieve healthcare (no proof of citizenship) until they are basically on the verge of death? Oh Awsm.

The growth of Germany as a culturally rich and diverse country prior to Hitler and his Nazi party.
Not really.

The benefits global diversity has had for sport and music. The Olympics is an example of how diversity has benefited sport. Eurovision (however tacky it may be) is an example of diversity in music.
I could do without Eurovision kthx.

robo-andie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Is this the only benefit you can think of? A cheap workforce and 'more resturants' ?
There is the sharing of information on a global scale, political alliances between countries as a result of each other embracing the others cultures, the opportunity for individuals to experience cultures different to their own within their own country, an increase in tolerance and a general social awareness of how other people live.
You mean... illegal immigrants that get paid close to nothing, and now can't recieve healthcare (no proof of citizenship) until they are basically on the verge of death? Oh Awsm.
I was refering to the legal immigrants.

Not really.
Yes really. A large portion of Berlins population were people from surrounding european countries. Homosexuality was embraced, differing cultural practices were embraced and the city thrived for a fair amount of time. Then Hitler came in and started shutting all the bars down and any place which promoted or accepted anything he didn't believe in. Once this begun happening, a lot of people left.

I could do without Eurovision kthx.
You might not enjoy it, but that doesn't mean other people don't. It is something which many European countries enjoy, I don't think many of them take it seriously.

Rainbow Joanna

HSC
Well the reality with diversification is a two way street if it is to be successful. But, seriously it is not going to be perfect as the theory suggests. The short answer is to do with the old mighty dollar and right wing conservative Christians or radical extremists of any religion in general.

Without causing too much tension. You are always going to have a bunch of clowns who take religion and race that extra step too far. As for North Shore people, it is just called retaining the Status Quo is much easier than giving out open arms, to change and new ideas (to many it is entering the unknown) as the general consensus in a lot of the more bourgeoisie areas it is the fear of being dragged outta their comfort zone. Why? Because the rich have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Rainbow Joanna said:
Well the reality with diversification is a two way street if it is to be successful.
What kind of racism is this? Fancy being some poor African refugee fleeing a war torn country full of starvation and rape, and being told upon arrival in your new home that "diversification is a two way street". You disgust me.

Rainbow Joanna said:
But, seriously it is not going to be perfect as the theory suggests. The short answer is to do with the old mighty dollar and right wing conservative Christians or radical extremists of any religion in general.Without causing too much tension. You are always going to have a bunch of clowns who take religion and race that extra step too far.
You obviously haven't studied The racist, religionist nature of contemporary Australian society, because if you had you'd know that it's not just the "clowns," but the majority of ordinary Australians who are fundamentally racist and fundamentally hate those of other religions. You should realise that by blaming the 'bunch of clowns' (eg. extremists) you're letting off the average person who is actually just as much to blame for religion and racial hatred as the extremists themselves. Don't be fooled, the average Australian genuinely hates anyone who is not of British descent and Christian, and discrimination and hatred of other types of people is a widespread plague in this country that affects EVERYONE. The majority are constantly using their privileged position to oppress and vilify minorities to lower their standards of living and exploit them.

Rainbow Joanna said:
As for North Shore people, it is just called retaining the Status Quo is much easier than giving out open arms, to change and new ideas (to many it is entering the unknown) as the general consensus in a lot of the more bourgeoisie areas it is the fear of being dragged outta their comfort zone. Why? Because the rich have everything to lose and nothing to gain.
This is geographyism at its worst. People from the North Shore are on average far more tolerant, diverse, and gay/lesbian/bi/trans than the rest of the country. This this makes them at least less repulsive than the average Australian as described in my 2nd paragraph. Your assumptions and generalisations about their wealth and "bourgeoisie" status are offensive. Being rich does not make them bad at all, if anything racism and hatred of 'the other' is more omnipresent in 'aspirational' Australians than the cultured individuals on the North Shore. I thought an intelligent progressive would understand why Geographyism is wrong. I suggest studying The classist, geographyist nature of contemporary Australian society.

To be quite honest, after reading your post I'm quite appalled that such insular, ultra-conservative thought still exists in this country. It just makes me more and more embarrassed to be Australian, and people like you should not be allowed to express such racist, apartheid views of hatred on public forums such as this one.

Last edited:

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
I agree with the point that the North Shore sticks to the status quo (i.e, they may be more liberal minded than others, yet have always voted for the Liberal party). This is also the case with "outsiders" where I suspect the relatively homogenous area is more prefered as opposed to one that is more 'diverse'. But then again, the Northern Beaches and North Shore aren't exactly perfect. The mentality that "outsiders" can "enter" "their" area and "swamp" "their" beach that results in any train proposal entering that area (with exception to a certain part of the North Shore) being almost impossible, and has resulted an area that is generally very car clogged and car dependant which to me, is not a very good lifestyle. My suburb and many other suburbs around Sydney are a bit better in all regards I'd say. ;)

Last edited:

snoozy_snewin

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Which is why they are rich, and you shall never be :)
Money CANT buy u happiness, mate!-not in the long term

In addition, i want 2 apologise 4 the previous comments that were made before. I was in a crappy mood @ the time.
They were hurtful and i'm SORRY
i've changed my opinion since then. NOW i have no opinion whatsoever.
p.s
i don't like strangers swearing at me...i dont like swearing in general.

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
Yes it can. Money is a resource that can bring happiness.

lengy

HSC
Having money means I can go out and do things I want to do, spend time with friends, travel, learn and experience things. Without money you're stuck at home, can't eat, can't go anywhere, can't spend time with your friends experiencing things. You fail. Money facilitates happiness so bugger off.

lengy

HSC
If anyone has any problems with their money, whether it be guilt or that it is causing them sadness or other unneccessary emotions feel free to donate the money to me and I will put it to good use and I assure you I will feel happy about it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea... I find it interesting that most (usually ACA or TT) surveys assessing whether 'money makes you happy' simply looks at income, not hours of work/type of work etc. Of course money is a great accessorie to happiness, but getting it isn't a happy matter at all.

lengy

HSC
Exactly. The problem is work, not money. They should say 'my current job is not bringing me happiness'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)