Liberal leaders set up council to win back support (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Liberal Party leaders from across Australia have agreed to set up a national council in an effort to win back support.

The party has lost 23 consecutive state elections and is currently out of office in all nine governments.

"We have resolved that we will establish a council of state and Territory and country leaders. And that council will be a permanent council, it will meet on a regular basis at least twice a year and we anticipate more frequently," he said.
NSW Liberal Leader, Barry O'Farrell agreed it was important for the Party to share responses to problems faced at a state level.

Queensland's Mark McArdle said the Party had not been engaging with the Australian people for some time.

"What we've failed to do is understand what they want us to do. We haven't looked at ourselves and said, like business has to do every day of the year, reinvigorate yourself, make yourself relevant and move forward," Mr McArdle said.

South Australia's Martin Hamilton-Smith said it was important for Australians to realise that the current dominance of the ALP in governments both state and federally was not good for democracy.

"We want to see Liberals back in office at a state level and at a federal level and the best way to help our federal colleagues is to make sure that state Liberal governments are returned to office," he said.

"We need to lead on policy, we need to hold state labor governments to account but we also need to be out there with better ideas of our own," Mr Hamilton-Smith said.

Tasmanian Liberal leader, Will Hodgman said today's meeting had been about getting "collective solidarity" on how the Liberal Party was faring.
"We've listened the result of the federal election, we're going to take some lessons from that and we're going to become more relevant to Australian voters," he said.

ACT Liberal Leader, Zed Seselja said the Party needed to focus on areas needing improvement.

"We need to take responsibility for where the Liberal Party hasn't been as good as it should, but I think that has changed and we're moving forward in a positive way."

"We're seeing a new generation of leaders coming through and that new generation is going to lead the Liberal party back into government across the nation," Mr Seselja said.

The Northern Territory's Country Liberal Party Leader, Jodeen Carney said it was important to examine policy development and how candidates are preselected.

"The bottom line is we need to pitch to all of the voters of our jurisdictions, clearly we've not been doing that very well, our predecessors haven't done that very well," she said
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/21/2143242.htm?section=australia

It would have been nice if they did this prior to losing 2 elections concerning me last year

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Let me make some suggestions for the Liberal party to save them some time:

- Don't make people think you've taken away their rights at work [worth fighting for]
- Get a younger leader who hasn't been around for 100 years or isn't going to quit as soon as you lose an election or isn't Brendan Nelson
- Offer more middle class welfare
- Use catchy terms like "Kevn 07" and "education revolution"\
- Have more token feelgood policies like signing insubstantial documents and apologising to entire racial groups for historical events

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

- Don't make people think you've taken away their rights at work [worth fighting for]
- Get a younger leader who hasn't been around for 100 years or isn't going to quit as soon as you lose an election or isn't Brendan Nelson
- Have more token feelgood policies like signing insubstantial documents and apologising to entire racial groups for historical events
I personally believe that Rudd should apologise to the Jews for the events of the Second World War.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I personally believe that Rudd should apologise to the Jews for the events of the Second World War.
I'm surprised he hasn't already.

GetUp - start your petitions

Edit: actually GetUp are probably as projew as they are nonpartisan.

Last edited:

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I personally believe Rudd should apologise to Britain on behalf of the French (or lobby Sarkozy to do so) for the Norman invasion in the 11th century..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Speaking of GetUp, where the fuck are they on this Internet censorship issue?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hiding underneath their own hypocrisy

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

don't forget..have a woman up in the frontline that doesn't have kids :p

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I love that the state coalition is all "We're going to be united! We're going to rally round and WIN BACK POWER!" in a month where internal squabbling has already unseated two coalition leaders, and where the Queensland national party has just gone back to Lawrence Springborg, a man whose principal achievement in politics has been to make almost no inroads into the massive majority of a scandal-ridden government in two consecutive elections. Not such a great start, guys.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I'm sure it won't be too long until we see 'new leadership' in the Coalition. There are rumblings around that Costello hasn't yet jumped ship due to possible leadership chances in the not too distant future.

Turnbull of course is the man in my opinion, but I don't think the Coalition can afford to waste his talent as leader in the term following election defeat. Historically, such a mantle is a poisoned chalice so to speak..

K

katie_tully

Captain Gh3y said:

- Moar tax cuts for high income earners. :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Brough tipped to lead Libs

A STRONG push is under way inside the Queensland Liberal Party to have former federal minister Mal Brough lead the party into the next election in a re-energised Coalition with the Nationals' Lawrence Springborg.

The news emerged as Mr Springborg began his "conversation with Queensland" listening tour on the Sunshine Coast, with four carefully vetted teenage lifesavers the first to be heard.
Mr Brough was not returning calls yesterday, but several senior Queensland-based Liberals said the former indigenous affairs minister was examining the offer.

The scenario being discussed in state Liberal circles rules out a merger between the two parties and proposes having Mr Brough contest the next state election as a candidate and leader-in-waiting.

"This is going to happen," a party source said.

"We will have two young, dynamic leaders, each leading their own party in a newly revitalised Coalition, and we will win." [...]

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Interesting opinion article on renewing the Libs.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23235096-7583,00.html

It is hardly a secret that, Australia-wide, the Liberal Party is at a low ebb. It is somewhat surprising, therefore, that having suffered more than 20 state and territory election defeats in a row there is no mass call among state and territory members across the party for renewal. It is also somewhat disappointing that with a double-digit poll deficit for most of 2007 before the election defeat in November, members of the federal parliamentary party didn't recognise that it needed a change of direction to renew itself....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)