libs and the senate... (1 Viewer)

Rorix

HSC
yeah like totally

fuck democracy

im off to smoke some weed

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No.. it is important, i believe in a fair democracy as much as you guys, and i wish they didn't have a senate majority...

However, claims that they will reshape the senate?.. think about it guys, I think it was this kind of negative additude that might have gotten the libs elected in the first place..
I doubt they will reshape the Senate, much as Howard might like to. He doesn't have control til july next year, and in any case he is a shrewd leader and reader of opinion polls; they sold themselves as offereing more of the same, that's what their mandate is for. Senate reform (or regression to a rubber stamp, depending how you see it) is not something that has been discussed widely and seriously, whereas Telstra, cross-media etc have been there, just not trumpeted for a while, to keep controversy down.

That said, I don't know if the Nats will stop Telstra being sold. While they have commitments to the bush, they also have too strong ties to the Libs and their agenda to split on such an issue. I suspect they may decide that bush services are "adequate" or some such - then again, they may decide not, in which case, what have they been doing for 9 years.....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, howard is a reader of the polls... what about iraq... etc.

It's annoying that on iraq... you guys say 'WHAT A PRICK HE WENT AGAINST THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION', on other issues 'WHAT A PRICK HE'S JUST FOLLOWING THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION!'

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, howard is a reader of the polls... what about iraq... etc.

It's annoying that on iraq... you guys say 'WHAT A PRICK HE WENT AGAINST THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION', on other issues 'WHAT A PRICK HE'S JUST FOLLOWING THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION!'
ok ok, generalisation about the polls - he has some personal convictions from which he does not sway, but you can't deny that he has been known to play populist and/or wedge politics as the situation chooses, and polls are the guide to public reaction or expectation.

Iraq is one of those conviction things, i don't think it had toooooo much to do with the Senate, for better or worse.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
ok ok, generalisation about the polls - he has some personal convictions from which he does not sway, but you can't deny that he has been known to play populist and/or wedge politics as the situation chooses, and polls are the guide to public reaction or expectation.

Iraq is one of those conviction things, i don't think it had toooooo much to do with the Senate, for better or worse.
Haha..."playing populist" who would of thought. HE IS A POLITICIAN.

Rorix

HSC
Man, this country is so dumb.

Obviously the people out there are so dumb, their say should somehow count less than mine.

Because I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR THIS FUCKING COUNTRY, AND THEY DONT.

I'm going to move to New Zealand.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Man, this country is so dumb.

Obviously the people out there are so dumb, their say should somehow count less than mine.

Because I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR THIS FUCKING COUNTRY, AND THEY DONT.

I'm going to move to New Zealand.
No, they obviously know whats best for this country as they vote Labor and Greens!

Rorix

HSC
that's right!

you know, votes for left wing parties should could as 2 votes, because you're clearly more intelligent.

and intelligent people like me know that Howard will destroy Medicare, is racist, hates poor people and is going to impose the will of God on Australia

whereas Mark has a secret plan to establish a Utopian Australia of harmony

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
that's right!

you know, votes for left wing parties should could as 2 votes, because you're clearly more intelligent.

and intelligent people like me know that Howard will destroy Medicare, is racist, hates poor people and is going to impose the will of God on Australia

whereas Mark has a secret plan to establish a Utopian Australia of harmony
Exactly, Howard will destroy Medicare, however Latham will fix it with Medicare Super Dooper Touchdown Orgasmo Gold. He is also a racist because he cares about what kind of people come into our country...who knows, the could have SARS, but who gives a shit, they've escaped from a bad place, let 'em in! He goes to church to so fuck, he must be bad!

Rorix

HSC
i also heard John Howard used to have sex with sheep

i dont want a Kiwi as my leader:(

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Of course not...can't have that can we. He might take away the guns from our cops!

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
bout time a liberal party gets a majority in the senate!!

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
big_ticket said:
bout time a liberal party gets a majority in the senate!!
you idiot.
Do you realise what a senate majority allows a government to do? ANYTHING but change the constitution. They can pass any laws they like, without any real debate refinement or checking system.
And no, the governer-general does not count as a checking system.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My question is.... would you be so upset if YOUR political party had a senate majority?

Maybe if there wasn't all this bs negativity surrounding John Howard (as rorix comically pointed out) he WOULDN'T have been voted in!
Lots of people i know who SAID they didn't care about politics told me that they always kinda liked howard, but u kno wat... they were too worried to say it because of comments like 'HOW COULD YOU SUPPORT HOWARD! HE'S AN ARSE LICKER AND HE'LL LET BUSH DO WHATEVER HE WANTS!'.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
My question is.... would you be so upset if YOUR political party had a senate majority?

Maybe if there wasn't all this bs negativity surrounding John Howard (as rorix comically pointed out) he WOULDN'T have been voted in!
Lots of people i know who SAID they didn't care about politics told me that they always kinda liked howard, but u kno wat... they were too worried to say it because of comments like 'HOW COULD YOU SUPPORT HOWARD! HE'S AN ARSE LICKER AND HE'LL LET BUSH DO WHATEVER HE WANTS!'.
Its because the Green and Labor supporters have made them scared to have a say.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I blame this quagmire on The Green Left Weekly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)