libs and the senate... (1 Viewer)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
My question is.... would you be so upset if YOUR political party had a senate majority?

Maybe if there wasn't all this bs negativity surrounding John Howard (as rorix comically pointed out) he WOULDN'T have been voted in!
Lots of people i know who SAID they didn't care about politics told me that they always kinda liked howard, but u kno wat... they were too worried to say it because of comments like 'HOW COULD YOU SUPPORT HOWARD! HE'S AN ARSE LICKER AND HE'LL LET BUSH DO WHATEVER HE WANTS!'.
i would actually, perhaps not as much, but a majority in the Senate for ANY party is a bad thing. The senate was created for a reason - so that one political party couldn't have the power to pass whatever laws they wished.
And i don't have an issue with people liking Howard, i dissagree, and i question why but if thats the way the feel thats the way they feel.

Last edited:

Senator04

HSC
N/A
The idea of the Senate as a rubber stamp is perhaps the worst thing that could happen, in this country. As I am from country New South Wales, where Telstra has a basic monopoly on some places, I am opposed to the sale of Telstra, and our local member Schultz crossed the floor, last time this was voted on, but for me it is the concern for two things,

1. relaxation of cross media laws, call me a cynic and perhaps even a little cliched, but I realy think that the control of the media in this country is basically among two men anyway, and for me to give these men more control over the thoughts of the ordinary people of this country is perhaps a little dicey, and might present a slight conflict of interest on the governments part, who does rely on the conservative media for much of its support.

2. of more concern to me is the idea of the government with total control over national security, and with a free reign to do as it pleases. Reading the SMH this morning, I read this. "Surveillance of emaisand mpbile phone text messages." Now i'm not totally sure about this and for me to make to many assertions would be a bit ironic given what i've said in number 1, but for me this just seems to smell bad. I mean under a government which has admitted that it increased the threat of terroism by invading Iraq, and not to mention conducted a signifigant scare campaign about it pre election, I just hope we see no Patriot Act style legislation passed here because noone can do anything about it.

Rorix

HSC
LadyBec said:
The senate was created for a reason - so that one political party couldn't have the power to pass whatever laws they wished.

No, see, if that was the purpose of the Senate, then one political party wouldn't have the power to pass whatever laws they wished.

Reading the SMH this morning
It sounds like Senator04 based problem.

it increased the threat of terroism by invading Iraq
Terrorists aren't dangerous unless we provoke them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
As I am from country New South Wales, where Telstra has a basic monopoly on some places, I am opposed to the sale of Telstra, and our local member Schultz crossed the floor, last time this was voted on, but for me it is the concern for two things.
Let me just remind you... telstra has this kind of monopoly everywhere, they own all the phone lines.
1. relaxation of cross media laws, call me a cynic and perhaps even a little cliched, but I realy think that the control of the media in this country is basically among two men anyway, and for me to give these men more control over the thoughts of the ordinary people of this country is perhaps a little dicey, and might present a slight conflict of interest on the governments part, who does rely on the conservative media for much of its support.
Yes... and you didn't see the masses of negative howard media before the campaign? how they constantly were interviewing bob brown etc...?
Tell me who the conservative media are? I honestly can't see them but maybe i'm a little too right-wing.

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
you idiot.
Do you realise what a senate majority allows a government to do? ANYTHING but change the constitution. They can pass any laws they like, without any real debate refinement or checking system.
And no, the governer-general does not count as a checking system.
No shit....any layman would know that! not exactly that stupid not to realise that a majority in the senate gives the political party power to pass anything they wanted. Having a majority, the howard government can finally pass through industrial reforms, which were previously blocked, eg abolishment of summary dismissal for small businesses...which is about time

Generator

HSC
N/A
Beyond the relevant ministers, who would actually know what the Government will send through the Senate from July? Their supposed reforms have been watered down so many times that their original structure is probably lost in the backwaters of the party room... Till they push it through next year, that is.

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)