• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Libyan Civil War (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Libya part 2

For some reason I think the rebels will be crushed because the UN is too slow in getting anything done at the moment.

HSC

who CARES if the rebels are crushed. just because they are fighting against someone who you think is bad doesn't automatically make them good.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

You would like to see the international community intervene and chase him out? You?
Enforcing a no fly zone and supplying the rebels with material is very different from invading a nation unilaterally on spurious grounds.

They have asked for our help, we are obliged to help.

US/UN/etc forces will not sack Tripoli and bring out Gaddafi. They will arm the protestors and defend them if need be.

HSC

best [blurst] troll
almost every video I've seen of the rebels fighting has been permeated with cries of "allahu akbar"

and the West is like
"lets support them and put them in power because they are moral gods magnitudes better than gaddafi and his people!"

they're furious muslims who now know violence and have tasted their first blood.

we need a country run by these people

yes.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

Again, Chad destroyed Libya with a few fucking hiluxes

these people can destroy Gaddafi if they're protected from airstrikes

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

why do we want them to destroy gadaffi though

what the hell do we get out of it

itll be at the least a pain in the arse if his regime goes down for us

his replacement isnt going to be any better

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A

almost every video I've seen of the rebels fighting has been permeated with cries of "allahu akbar"

and the West is like
"lets support them and put them in power because they are moral gods magnitudes better than gaddafi and his people!"

they're furious muslims who now know violence and have tasted their first blood.

we need a country run by these people

yes.
Much of the videos I've seen have been of protestors/rebels stating that they have had enough of oppression under Gaddafi and want some right to self-determination.

Also you roll the rebel movement into a singular "they", when as far as I'm aware it's a collective assorted people and groups with a like-minded will for change.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

why do we want them to destroy gadaffi though

what the hell do we get out of it

itll be at the least a pain in the arse if his regime goes down for us

his replacement isnt going to be any better
There are a lot of energy benefits from helping them liberate Libya.

If you're not supporting it from a human rights perspective, a pragmatic perspective makes it valuable.

HSC

Much of the videos I've seen have been of protestors/rebels stating that they have had enough of oppression under Gaddafi and want some right to self-determination.

Also you roll the rebel movement into a singular "they", when as far as I'm aware it's a collective assorted people and groups with a like-minded will for change.
yes all change is good.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

libyas a land o tribes i really dont know why anybody would expect low iq extended kinship groups to respect each others sovereignty in a democracy

Lentern

HSC

Enforcing a no fly zone and supplying the rebels with material is very different from invading a nation unilaterally on spurious grounds.

They have asked for our help, we are obliged to help.

US/UN/etc forces will not sack Tripoli and bring out Gaddafi. They will arm the protestors and defend them if need be.
But in a more ideal world this "support" wouldn't be somehow given through some sort of private enterprise as opposed to the UN/armies of national governments, funded by taxation?

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

But in a more ideal world this "support" wouldn't be somehow given through some sort of private enterprise as opposed to the UN/armies of national governments, funded by taxation?
Expansion: people are dying in the fight to overthrow a dictator, this is the purest cause of liberty in the world, supporting it does not contain any ideological conflict. In a more ideal world there'd be no tyrants or governments.

In this world we must maintain ever twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC

. In a more ideal world there'd be no tyrants or governments.
Relativity dictates this is true but it doesn't invalidate my question. In an ideal world there would be nothing to kill or die for but in a more ideal world than the one we currently live there could be dictators and tyrants and bears. Oh my!

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

Relativity dictates this is true but it doesn't invalidate my question. In an ideal world there would be nothing to kill or die for but in a more ideal world than the one we currently live there could be dictators and tyrants and bears. Oh my!
Needless to say, it stuns me to be on this side of the fence regarding intervention. There are millions of us around the world if given the chance would take up arms in support of our libyan brothers and sisters, regardless of governmental intervention or no.

Okay it is definitely time for me to hit the hay because I'm sounding like a revolutionary marxist.

Regardless these situations is where the ideology v pragmatism rubber hits the road, and in this instance, where thousands are fighting for freedom against a violent dictator who has most of the western world in his pocket for energy reasons, I feel I'm internally consistent when I support those who want to be free.

There is a substantial difference between toppling a dictator in a country to then expect a revolutionary movement to come forward, and providing material support to one that has been organically formed to make up for the sins of imperialism.

The stories of these people, man. The stories.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

I mean, come on, I'm no hawk, you know that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)