Life After the Bachelor of Science (Advanced/Normal) (1 Viewer)

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
i've seen threads which pose the same question as I'm about to ask but cannot be bothered to find them.

Q: What career path do u want to follow after completing either of the two science degrees? Unfortunately, a science degree isn't as 'employable' as some people make it out to be and this is a major concern if it results in 3years or hard work and money spent, only to receive nothing in return.

comment as u wish :)

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
loser101 said:
/centerlink
fuk me.....but if I do Class 1 Honours with my BSci(Adv) degree, I'd at least get more $ from centerlink than those without :)

I'd like to be a researcher, but the pay is shite and places are located in no mans land.

tennille

HSC
Pay varies from company to company. If you did honours, you'd be receiving less money from centrelink since you'd be earning more. ;)

Average salary for science graduates is about $50000-$55000. I think it's about $65000 if you do honours. But it varies. If you're determined to do well, then anything is achievable no matter what degree you do.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
idk, i've seen usyd advertising some reaserch assistant jobs for like $75k i kid you not, and i like reaserch

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
There's a reason I've got an engineering degree attached to my science one :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
barling89 said:
i've seen threads which pose the same question as I'm about to ask but cannot be bothered to find them.

Q: What career path do u want to follow after completing either of the two science degrees? Unfortunately, a science degree isn't as 'employable' as some people make it out to be and this is a major concern if it results in 3years or hard work and money spent, only to receive nothing in return.

comment as u wish :)
My friend is finishing B Sci Adv TSP(analytical chemistry) and yeh he can't find and decent jobs so he's doing masters next year and moving to the states.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lodgic said:
Hey can a person do two majors in the bachelor of science course (the initial 3 years of study)?

I am considering a major in microbiology, but i'd love to do another major with that (possibly biochemistry or similar) :)
Depends on which uni and their rules at Usyd they have two lists of majors and the max you can do is one from each.(one of them is usually a less science orientated subject though, such as philosophy, sociology, hps, etc.

Yeh, Lodgic you'll prob have to minor in one of the two.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lodgic said:
I just found this on the USYD website:

In the BSc and some other Science degrees students must complete at least one major and may choose to complete a second.

@_@ hmm
I'd also reccommed that you buy the Science 2008 Handbook from the Usyd publication/info office in the Quad building main entrance on the side facing fisher library.

cutlery

HSC
1. Do an earth science major, Geology or Geoscience, something of that ilk.
2. Get a job with a big mining/petroleum company such as BHP, Shell, Rio Tinto etc.
3. Profit!

ddtng

HSC
cutlery said:
1. Do an earth science major, Geology or Geoscience, something of that ilk.
2. Get a job with a big mining/petroleum company such as BHP, Shell, Rio Tinto etc.
3. Profit!
Shh, that's my plan.

Addictd2

HSC
hehe thers always teaching i guess. but i think ill either do that or see if i can try get into a post grad in the sustainability or something

cloche

Isobel
HSC
I would love to be a zoologist; specificially an ethologist. :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Lodgic said:
Climb up the job ladder i say;
i) Lab Assitant
ii) Lab Associate
iii) Head of a pristigous research insitution
iv) Head of the entire Academy of Science in all of Australia
Don't think the Australian Academy of Science has a president.

You could always look beyond scientific fields for a job. Finance industry hires science graduates. Even accounting firms (PWC is a sponsor of the Science Revue).

Personally, I'm eyeing an APA (or equivalent) and do a PhD.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Don't think the Australian Academy of Science has a president.

You could always look beyond scientific fields for a job. Finance industry hires science graduates. Even accounting firms (PWC is a sponsor of the Science Revue).

Personally, I'm eyeing an APA (or equivalent) and do a PhD.
Where did your MBBS aspirations disappear to?:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)