Life can be tough... with maths (1 Viewer)

potential

HSC
Im currently doing 2 unit mathematics, and struggling very much.. the thing is though for a particular personal reason there is no way i can drop to general... but it seems like everything thats been happening to me this past half a year is forcing me to go to general maths... ive had a tutor but it didnt go well, she screamed too much. im rly not sure wat to do anymore... and now just today, when i asked my maths teacher if we get scaled up for 2 unit maths he says no? and said somethign abt how general maths is a independant course and all that? i rly just need inspiration.. and atleast knowledge that if i get "ok" in 2 unit then thats better then a good/very good in general.

TBK11

HSC
Whats so bad about General Maths? its an easy Band 6 if your struggling with 2unit drop it

absorber

HSC
Dw, just about no course scales up, with the exception of some languages and 4u maths I think. but 2 unit maths still scales WELL. That's what's important. Maths is mechanical, it's not as much about time efficiency as other subjects, just putting time into it is the only way to do well. Keep thinking about the concepts 'til you understand them, then just practice them heaps. When you're more comfortable do practice tests.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Im currently doing 2 unit mathematics, and struggling very much.. the thing is though for a particular personal reason there is no way i can drop to general... but it seems like everything thats been happening to me this past half a year is forcing me to go to general maths... ive had a tutor but it didnt go well, she screamed too much. im rly not sure wat to do anymore... and now just today, when i asked my maths teacher if we get scaled up for 2 unit maths he says no? and said somethign abt how general maths is a independant course and all that? i rly just need inspiration.. and atleast knowledge that if i get "ok" in 2 unit then thats better then a good/very good in general.
no easy way out.
the kids down at general maths will drag you down.

Whats so bad about General Maths? its an easy Band 6 if your struggling with 2unit drop it
Yes! Your struggling.
Of course Standard English isn't bad either!

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
stick wit 2u
get a different tutor
work harder

how do you know that this person has a tutor?? and plus tutors dont work for some people.

ur right about working harder, as without practise, effort and relative time efficiency, you wont achieve anything above 75 (unless you are naturally gifted in maths....)

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad

What are your current 2 unit Marks?? as you should keep at it, and look at your Finals report for year 11. Dont get discouraged by like 1 test, 2 unit may not scale as much as extension subjects but you would want an 80-90 in 2 unit over a 90 in General! :):)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
i dont know about your school, but at mine they didnt let you do 2unit unless they thught u were capable... so if yours is like that then your teachers obviously thought u were capable of it... just put a bit of extra effort into the subject, and if you dont get anything just post on here, im sure someone will help :)

potential

HSC
thankyou, for my school they wont force u to go down, but they will suggest it or highly recommend it if u do bad. Currently im doing rly bad... as in rly rly bad. I rly want to drop... but then i cant.. its rly a family matter but basically when it comes down to it they believe that if i try my hardest then i can do well. Thats true.. but im not willing to put in the effort.. for wat its worth. But yeh, i believe i still got some potential in 2 unit.. just gotta work my ass off

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
thankyou, for my school they wont force u to go down, but they will suggest it or highly recommend it if u do bad. Currently im doing rly bad... as in rly rly bad. I rly want to drop... but then i cant.. its rly a family matter but basically when it comes down to it they believe that if i try my hardest then i can do well. Thats true.. but im not willing to put in the effort.. for wat its worth. But yeh, i believe i still got some potential in 2 unit.. just gotta work my ass off
NO offence, but what school? and yeah word of advice: "Dont say it, actually go to the table and DO IT" :rofl::rofl:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
drop down to general coz in the end, it will be better than getting 60 atar.

Meepo

HSC
I dropped 2u to general, and I have found a very big gap between them, general has a lot of reading whereas 2u doesnt, if your strugling with 2u maths and not getting around the 70s, I suggest that you should go to general maths and score marks in the 90's (its easy). If you really dont want to go down to general, you should get a new tutor if your old one is not helping and try very hard.

jules.09

HSC
When you say you're struggling, do you mean conceptually, or it's because you don't put enough effort in? Because you've got to practise math, there's no escaping that fact.

Tutors are not mandatory, but if you find that the school does not support you enough with 2u (explanations aren't in depth etc) AND you wish to pursue 2u math, then by all means, invest in one.

Being naturally gifted at math, will mean you have that extra edge but, hard work pays off. I do not recommend dropping to general because, it's really difficult to get a band 6 and hence, bad scaling. Plus, there is a "ceiling" to what you're allowed to achieve marks wise at the HSC for general.

typo

HSC
re-learn everything you learned at school so far.
It's the holidays, so it shouldn't take you that long.
It's what I'm currently doing at the moment.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
to be blunt and honest, 2 unit maths isnt really that hard, hence the not so good scaling

random-1005

Banned
HSC
NO offence, but what school? and yeah word of advice: "Dont say it, actually go to the table and DO IT" :rofl::rofl:

lol theres a kid at my school that keeps saying "theres still more marks left, i just have to do really good at the rest of the assessments" and he doesnt end up doing anymore work (and hence continues getting crap marks). hes averaged like 70% for all the assessments and theres only the trials left for most of the subs and he wanted to get into medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)