Likelihood of transfering from UTS medical science into med/dent. (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi ppl,
I was kinda considering med science at uts and later planned to transfer into med/dent. However, UTS does not have a med/dent program! This means I will have to transfer to another uni.
So I just wanted to know ppl's input on how uts med science is considered by other uni's and whether ppl have transferred into med/dent. Generally speaking, I haven't heard anyone transfer from UTS Medical Science into dent/med. My other choice is to do science adv at uws :)
I have spoke to some uws med students, and they highly recommend adv science as the pre-med course.

Xt

HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter at all what degree you do to transfer into medicine. All they look at is your GPA for first year (plus half of your ATAR) - I.e. you can do Arts at UWS and get a perfect GPA of 7 and be extremely competitive in applying to medical school.

Also, if you don't get into Medicine via transfer in 1st or 2nd year of Medical Science, you can then take GAMSAT - which doesn't even require ANY degrees to be a pre-req. You just need to have knowledge of year 12 physics, and first year uni CHemistry and Biology. So an Arts student who has studied on up those areas during the summer holiday could get a higher Percentile over Medical Science/Adv Sci/Science students.

However, I'd recommend taking the UWS Adv Sci pathway since they have a special scheme that allows entry into MBBS @ UWS. I've heard that via this entry, the UMAT score required can be lower than students applying from other universities and straight from High School.

Immortalp00n

HSC
Hi ppl,
I was kinda considering med science at uts and later planned to transfer into med/dent. However, UTS does not have a med/dent program! This means I will have to transfer to another uni.
So I just wanted to know ppl's input on how uts med science is considered by other uni's and whether ppl have transferred into med/dent. Generally speaking, I haven't heard anyone transfer from UTS Medical Science into dent/med. My other choice is to do science adv at uws :)
I have spoke to some uws med students, and they highly recommend adv science as the pre-med course.
i'd do this
if u can finish within the top 6 of ur class ur guaranteed an interview
speak to the user " dylanamali"
he did the exact same thing, he can giv more info.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
i'd do this
if u can finish within the top 6 of ur class ur guaranteed an interview
speak to the user " dylanamali"
he did the exact same thing, he can giv more info.

Thank you :)
Yep, I already spoke to dylanamali and he was the one who actually promoted uws adv science to me. But I didn't get an offer for it yet and hoping to receive one for the late round though. But I justed wanted to know how uts med science is and whether if ppl have successfully transferred into med/dent! As if I dnt get into science adv at uws, I might consider med science at uts.

Dylanamali

HSC
Thank you :)
Yep, I already spoke to dylanamali and he was the one who actually promoted uws adv science to me. But I didn't get an offer for it yet and hoping to receive one for the late round though. But I justed wanted to know how uts med science is and whether if ppl have successfully transferred into med/dent! As if I dnt get into science adv at uws, I might consider med science at uts.
There would be people who have transferred from UTS Med Sci into Medicine/Dentistry, just as there would be people who have successfully transferred from any other degree, e.g. Arts, Sci at any institution.
In my opinion, there really isn't any particular benefit of doing UTS Med Sci.
The way I see it - you have 2 main choices:
1) Choose a university that has a set-a-side lateral transfer program into Medicine e.g. UNSW or UWS
2) Choose a university that you know you can achieve well in e.g. HD / a very competitive GPA 6.5+ // where the competition is relatively low.

UWS Adv Sci meets both of these criteria which is why it is so good for Med hopefuls.
I'm not sure how difficult UTS Med Sci is, so I can't really comment on it - but if you'd like my opinion:

If I didn't gain entry into Medicine for this year, I would drop down from Adv Sci @ UWS and do Sci @ UWS.
I would do that to completely maximise my GPA for graduate entry.

If I was in your exact position and didn't happen to get an offer for Adv Sci @ UWS, I would most likely do regular Sci @ UWS.
Sure the ATAR cut-off maybe like 20 points below your ATAR.. but it will give you the opportunity to maximise your GPA which is important in terms of graduate entry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If I was in your exact position and didn't happen to get an offer for Adv Sci @ UWS, I would most likely do regular Sci @ UWS.
Sure the ATAR cut-off maybe like 20 points below your ATAR.. but it will give you the opportunity to maximise your GPA which is important in terms of graduate entry.
Can he transfer to Adv Sc at UWS after 1 year of regular science and be able to use the lateral transfer scheme to get into UWS Med? It's just that Safraaz sounds a bit desperate and graduate entry requires at least 3 years!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Only thing I would look out for would be the prerequisites you need to do to get into UMelb med.

Apart from that you can do any degree anywhere. Yay.

Dylanamali

HSC
Can he transfer to Adv Sc at UWS after 1 year of regular science and be able to use the lateral transfer scheme to get into UWS Med? It's just that Safraaz sounds a bit desperate and graduate entry requires at least 3 years!
Whilst he can transfer into Adv Sci at UWS from regular Sci, unfortunately he won't be able to use the lateral transfer scheme UNLESS he is a first year Adv Sci student. e.g. basically repeats.. and i'm not sure if that's allowed.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Whilst he can transfer into Adv Sci at UWS from regular Sci, unfortunately he won't be able to use the lateral transfer scheme UNLESS he is a first year Adv Sci student. e.g. basically repeats.. and i'm not sure if that's allowed.
hmmm... that's not good then. So the only chance of getting into Med for him would be to ace his BSc at UWS and do well in GAMSAT. I don't like the sound of that.

I think you can transfer to UNSW MedSc from UNSW BSc and still be considered for the lateral Med transfer program at UNSW.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you all for your input :)
Adv Sci @ UWS seems great and yes I would like to get into med/dent as soon as possible rather than waiting for post-grad entry.
I'm not too keen on B.Sci though.

Dylanamali

HSC
hmmm... that's not good then. So the only chance of getting into Med for him would be to ace his BSc at UWS and do well in GAMSAT. I don't like the sound of that.

I think you can transfer to UNSW MedSc from UNSW BSc and still be considered for the lateral Med transfer program at UNSW.
Well, of course he could retake the UMAT during those 3 years of his BSc and hope to gain entry.. it's just that there would be no "scheme" and as such he would be treated as any other applicant.

I think your right in saying that point about UNSW.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, got an offer again for Adv Science at UWS, now whether to accept or not!
I'm currently enrolled in Business/I.T at uts and have chosen my subs and everything, can I decline the UTS offer or is it too late as I have already enrolled?

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, got an offer again for Adv Science at UWS, now whether to accept or not!
I'm currently enrolled in Business/I.T at uts and have chosen my subs and everything, can I decline the UTS offer or is it too late as I have already enrolled?
its never too late to unenroll from an offer, so its entirely up to you what you want to do now?

was that course adv science at uws what you wanted in the late round?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
^^ You can still un-enrol/discontinue studies/enrollment. Don't know the process for UTS though ~ also congratulations. :)

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks all :)
Yep it was the course I wanted in the late round, I missed pharmacy by 0.25 in the main round, but I dnt have any regrets anymore as the future of pharmacy is not looking good anyways. I think dylanamali convinced me enough to take a risk with adv science. Hopefully I follow his footsteps and get into medicine/dentistry next year :)

Dylanamali

HSC
Thanks all :)
Yep it was the course I wanted in the late round, I missed pharmacy by 0.25 in the main round, but I dnt have any regrets anymore as the future of pharmacy is not looking good anyways. I think dylanamali convinced me enough to take a risk with adv science. Hopefully I follow his footsteps and get into medicine/dentistry next year :)
So what's the plan for this year?

By the way - would you consider Griffith Dentistry?
Comparatively it's rather easy to get into.. I got a main round offer with a 6.875 GPA for 1 full year of study, they don't consider UMAT or Interview, just GPA.
Only catch is that the last two years of the degree are full-fee paying.. 50k/year.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
So what's the plan for this year?

By the way - would you consider Griffith Dentistry?
Comparatively it's rather easy to get into.. I got a main round offer with a 6.875 GPA for 1 full year of study, they don't consider UMAT or Interview, just GPA.
Only catch is that the last two years of the degree are full-fee paying.. 50k/year.
Bro I'd consider med/dent anywhere in australia!
Griffith Dentistry is awesome, but I dnt like the sound of full-fee paying as I come from an average family who is more concerned abt their mortgage.
Any other suggestions would be nice :)

Plan for this year is to get the highest possible gpa and also sit the umat, if all fails I will try the same in 2nd year (also JCU for both years).
And if I was still unable to get into med/dent, I'd just tranfer into physio/optometry/radiography at the end of 2nd year or go on to do honours -> research. If all fails, I will just complete the degree and do an addition year of 'masters in teaching' -> science teacher :L

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Definitely get involved / check out medstudentsonline
it's the best place to find any advice on anything med/dent related.

Also, not a criticism or anything.. but I think you should really think about which one you truly want.. in terms of med OR dent.
They're two very different career paths, and best you confirm now rather then later I say.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely get involved / check out medstudentsonline
it's the best place to find any advice on anything med/dent related.

Also, not a criticism or anything.. but I think you should really think about which one you truly want.. in terms of med OR dent.
They're two very different career paths, and best you confirm now rather then later I say.
tbh I would honestly prefer medicine over dentistry, its something that I was planning on doing since I could remember, but then dentistry also interested me and I was like, I should aim for both and hope to get into one of them. But between the two, it has to be medicine :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Dylan,
Which 'Key Program" do you recommend that I should do or something that would best compliment future study for medicine.
Thus far, I'm interested in either the 'General Adv Sci' or the 'Biological Science' program. Personally I prefer the Biological Science program as I absolutely love biology :)
But I wouldn't mind either, also any other suggestions that I should consider?
Thanks for all you help till now :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)