Linux (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
a friend said that linux can make an older computer fast again. How true is this statement?
also, about winmodems...well what is a good 'real' modem which will work with linux.
ive asked some shops about compatibility with linux but they dont know a thing [well i asked chinese shops so it was expected].

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yes and No. Older computers will have trouble running the latest Windows Architecture for obvious reasons, as they are outdated. Linux distributions however, use less resources and can be configured to run more efficiently on older machines. This is true for smaller distributions, but I wouldn't be running Red Hat 9 on my old 486.

What should be factored in, is your knowledge level with Linux based machines, and how much trouble you are willing to go to, to run an older computer, which may end up only marginally faster than if it was running Windows for half the trouble.

sunny

meh.
HSC
klh said:
a friend said that linux can make an older computer fast again. How true is this statement?
Only to a degree. Most recent common distributions are starting to get bloated. You can always reduce the number of packages to make it less bloated and reduce the requirements.

klh said:
also, about winmodems...well what is a good 'real' modem which will work with linux.
ive asked some shops about compatibility with linux but they dont know a thing [well i asked chinese shops so it was expected].
If you have any distribution in mind, you can probably find a hardware compatibility list on their website.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
Somthing like fedora core (http://fedora.redhat.com) without alot of the development and server packages will be alright. As with most things, only install stuff that you need, Windows likes to install alot of additional stuff that you may never use, and this is true with linux - but Linux more openely gives you the option to stop things from being installed.
I'd probally recommend nothing less than an 800mhz machine with 256Mb RAM - although, my server is only a 400mhz machine with 380mb (arround that) of RAM.
Regarding the modems, either check the distro website like sunny suggested, or a google search for some linux advice sites might prove helpful if they have a forum and you post a message or two!

sladehk

le random
HSC
I hear that there are many distributions that are user-friendly to Windows users but that Debian is the best out there. But since the Windows system utilizes a lot of resources, a basic Linux distribution would run faster.

equiski

HSC
Why don't you try a live-cd of linux first so you know what you're getting yourself into. A live CD boots the OS straight from the CD without you having to install Linux or make any changes to your computer. Knoppix live cd is great, it has plenty of preinstalled applications and is great to play around with.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
The rescent APC Mag came with a DVD with Novell SuSe 9.2. Its a pretty easy to install distro, although it does make its own partition larger than I wanted.

Although, the distro itself is quite small (compared to the windows equivilant) at only 1.5 GB

What really gives me the s**ts is that when a linux partition has been formatted or removed, the default boot MBR is Grub, which is very random.

klh

HSC
why dont you just reformat your mbr? if you do it with fdisk? i cant remember but it will set the default boot back to windows again. it happens with grub, lilo is iinstalled on the partition so it dont have that problem.
i tried out lycoris and mandrake...i like them but i cant do my normal things that windows can, im just still lokking for a suitable modem.
and i am having problems installing stuff...like you have to unzip then do something else..its so so confusing since in windows its just a double click on the .exe files.
well about the speed...you guys are right. it depends, it wasnt as fast as i hoped for, performed about the same as windows anyway. i think it loads longer than windows.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ubuntu is the fastest of the kinda user friendly distros.

and don't use gnome if you want more speed

as omgzergrush said, gui is for the weak, lolz

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Linux does take longer to boot, but once its loaded, its loaded.
Windows kinda gets frustrating when everything appears to be loaded, but you have to wait for antivirus software and firewalls to load before you can do anything.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sladehk said:
I hear that there are many distributions that are user-friendly to Windows users but that Debian is the best out there. But since the Windows system utilizes a lot of resources, a basic Linux distribution would run faster.
Debian is good if you are experienced, personally I spent a few hours on it, gave up and started using Fedora Core 3, runs like a dream:)

sladehk

le random
HSC
The only problem for me is getting hold of a distro. The good ones are like GBs so downloading is not an option :( And very few people have Linux distros to borrow. I think i'll stay with MS :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
sladehk said:
The only problem for me is getting hold of a distro. The good ones are like GBs so downloading is not an option :( And very few people have Linux distros to borrow. I think i'll stay with MS :p
Quite often magazines feature distros on their cover CDs/DVDs.

sladehk

le random
HSC
Oh well. Go to dig out another 8.50 :p
Frankly, i find PCA not useful at all

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
The Lastest APC has Linux help articles through to 4 on the DVD, but their fairly basic stuff, I've learnt more through experimentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)