Long Response (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
Just wondering if anyone has good study methods they use to prepare for long responses, because they are my weakest section.

A bit of background, I'm in year 11 and do both business studies and economics. For both subjects in my half yearlies, I only lost 1-2 marks in the multiple choice and short answer sections but it is always my long response that drags me down.

Today I had an in class essay assessment for the labour market topic and I think i bombed out pretty badly :( I only wrote 3 pages, and don't think it was very good quality. I find these assessments hard because you have to learn all the content, and remember relevant statistics, but you are only ever tested on a select amount, and I seem to have trouble prioritising things, linking things together and coming up with a really strong argument. I do admit that my study was a little crammed, but i thought i had learnt the content pretty well but had a bit of a mind blank :/ Do you get better with practice for these things? I got 18/20 for the last essay assessment task but that one was a little easier because we got more direction in terms of what the question could be like, however, with the one we did today, the only thing the teacher told us was that it would be based off the syllabus :/ How should i practice for long responses?

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering if anyone has good study methods they use to prepare for long responses, because they are my weakest section.

A bit of background, I'm in year 11 and do both business studies and economics. For both subjects in my half yearlies, I only lost 1-2 marks in the multiple choice and short answer sections but it is always my long response that drags me down.

Today I had an in class essay assessment for the labour market topic and I think i bombed out pretty badly :( I only wrote 3 pages, and don't think it was very good quality. I find these assessments hard because you have to learn all the content, and remember relevant statistics, but you are only ever tested on a select amount, and I seem to have trouble prioritising things, linking things together and coming up with a really strong argument. I do admit that my study was a little crammed, but i thought i had learnt the content pretty well but had a bit of a mind blank :/ Do you get better with practice for these things? I got 18/20 for the last essay assessment task but that one was a little easier because we got more direction in terms of what the question could be like, however, with the one we did today, the only thing the teacher told us was that it would be based off the syllabus :/ How should i practice for long responses?
I used to be like you

a noob who couldn't write essays

Best way to train for essay writing is to practice your essay writing.

There are a few good YouTube videos, which help to develop economics essay writing skill (mr study tv interview with state ranker).

I was very much like you (except I do legal instead of business) and I found that making notes really helped (lol). I didn't make notes in year 11. The act of making notes helped me to develop my skills when defining, or explaining a cause/effect relationship.

Also, develop your skills when pulling a question apart. Read exemplar responses, and analyse their structure, and how tightly they answer the question. Use this to develop your own ability to structure an essay.

Then, just practice practice practice, until you actually see an essay question in an exam, and you think "interesting". Your mind should instantly jump to "pick apart" the question.

Spend a good 5mins in the exam planning your essay on scrap paper. You will make up the time and then some when you don't really have to think about what you're writing.

I moved my marks from 10-12/20, to 18-20/20.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I used to be like you

There are a few good YouTube videos, which help to develop economics essay writing skill (mr study tv interview with state ranker).

I was very much like you (except I do legal instead of business) and I found that making notes really helped (lol). I didn't make notes in year 11. The act of making notes helped me to develop my skills when defining, or explaining a cause/effect relationship.

Also, develop your skills when pulling a question apart. Read exemplar responses, and analyse their structure, and how tightly they answer the question. Use this to develop your own ability to structure an essay.

Then, just practice practice practice, until you actually see an essay question in an exam, and you think "interesting". Your mind should instantly jump to "pick apart" the question.

Spend a good 5mins in the exam planning your essay on scrap paper. You will make up the time and then some when you don't really have to think about what you're writing.

^^^ Pretty much this. Learn from the best and spend time analysing what they do differently from everyone else.

If you follow the study methods of the mass you won't achieve the marks you desire.

matchalolz

HSC
^^^ Pretty much this. Learn from the best and spend time analysing what they do differently from everyone else.

If you follow the study methods of the mass you won't achieve the marks you desire.
I used to be like you

thanks for the advice guys :) sorry to ask again, but what do you think I doing wrong if I'm getting A-range marks for economics essays but like B-C range mark for business studies essays?? At first I thought that the economics teacher were just easy markers or something but our most recent assessment got marked by my teacher (so fkin strict) and i got 19/20 (which was apparently way above average despite writing really less compared to many others). I don't even know how to study for these things anymore lol. my next conclusion was that I didn't have enough experience writing a business report, and how to incorporate case studies into my response. Any of you did/do business and care to share some tips?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
thanks for the advice guys :) sorry to ask again, but what do you think I doing wrong if I'm getting A-range marks for economics essays but like B-C range mark for business studies essays?? At first I thought that the economics teacher were just easy markers or something but our most recent assessment got marked by my teacher (so fkin strict) and i got 19/20 (which was apparently way above average despite writing really less compared to many others). I don't even know how to study for these things anymore lol. my next conclusion was that I didn't have enough experience writing a business report, and how to incorporate case studies into my response. Any of you did/do business and care to share some tips?

This is a good place to start http://community.boredofstudies.org/21/business-studies/305405/business-studies-past-papers-advice-thread.html

Incorporating case studies is fairly easy, especially since you're getting top marks for eco. Consider the case studies as your trends/statistics that you would use for eco and integrate them in the exact same way. With my case studies i'd actually memorise statistics to support my general analysis. E.g price penetration is a highly effective pricing strategy firms can use to increase market share.... This was evident with Qantas who experienced market share to rise 15% in the year following the utilisation of this strategy.

That was a made up example but you should be able to interpret what i mean.

matchalolz

HSC
This is a good place to start http://community.boredofstudies.org/21/business-studies/305405/business-studies-past-papers-advice-thread.html

Incorporating case studies is fairly easy, especially since you're getting top marks for eco. Consider the case studies as your trends/statistics that you would use for eco and integrate them in the exact same way. With my case studies i'd actually memorise statistics to support my general analysis. E.g price penetration is a highly effective pricing strategy firms can use to increase market share.... This was evident with Qantas who experienced market share to rise 15% in the year following the utilisation of this strategy.

That was a made up example but you should be able to interpret what i mean.
oh right thanks :) i think i know what I was doing wrong lol. I didn't really have a general analysis and only talked about the businesses I was using as the case study :/

jye123

HSC
Hey Matchalolz can you please tell us (lol or just me) the question that you had to answer for the labour market. We have an extented response on the labour market PLEASEEEEEEE:)??

jye123

HSC
You do Business as well? how did you go in the business assignment (creating your own business plan and business report etc)???:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)