• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Looking to buy a Laptop; Should I get a Mac OS or stick with a Windows OS? (1 Viewer)

peterjackson

HSC
lol first post. hope this info isnt too late, but get a macbook really good. because the OS is made for the hardware its super fast. also if you ever wanted windows you can just install it. oh and if you want to put mac on a pc, its really hard you have to change BIOS ect. to hard, but it can be done.

btw macs ftw! i have one :)

bawd

HSC
peterjackson said:
lol first post. hope this info isnt too late, but get a macbook really good. because the OS is made for the hardware its super fast. also if you ever wanted windows you can just install it. oh and if you want to put mac on a pc, its really hard you have to change BIOS ect. to hard, but it can be done.

btw macs ftw! i have one :)
Thanks for the suggestion and care to teach me how to load a Windows OS onto the Macbook later? Your comment isn't late; I don't plan to get a laptop until my birthday or Christmas.

peterjackson

HSC
yeh awesome, assholes ripping me about my spelling haha. anyway, i dont know how to install windows, i would but i have mac tiger not leopard so i have to use software to run windows. I am thinking of buying leopard but im a bit low on money lol. apparently its really easy to do it though. i may not be able to help but im sure the internet can.
but then again i think its a bit risky putting windows on it because if you get a virus then your in trouble. i haven't had a single virus since i got mine 1 year ago *knocks on wood*

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
It is your choice but ubuntu is cooler then windows and cooler then OSX

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Where did all these *nix fatties pop out from?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
AsyLum said:
Dude, I know you hate Linux, but it really shouldn't be any surprise to you that people like it.

It's secure, stable, and highly customisable. Moreover all the old complaints about it (poor user interface, poor driver/3rd party software support) are all essentially nullified these days with things like KDE Ubuntu and Debian's aptitude package manager (which Ubuntu inherits).

It's no surprise the majority of technically savy people are fond it. And with its growth rate consistent and a base of 3% of the market, it's only going to grow; especially while Vista (and Microsoft in general) stagnates.

P.S. way to be ambiguous. Mac OS X is a *nix.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
have you ever tried linux.

I used to have false ideas and when i tried it they changed

EDIT: and Mac OSX is built on unix technology you know?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
have you ever tried linux.

I used to have false ideas and when i tried it they changed

EDIT: and Mac OSX is built on unix technology you know?
Linux would be infinitely more awesome if you could get Photoshop and Dreamweaver to run on it (there are some times when WINE just won't cut it :(). I was thinking of doing a bit of web design after HSC to earn some extra cash. Oh well, guess I'll just do it on Windows then.

Windows Vista is enough to get you by, though it can be rather slow at times. Macs are pretty awesome, but horribly overpriced.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I am looking at a mac and having ubuntu running as well, only cos of the awsome battery life though

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I am looking at a mac and having ubuntu running as well, only cos of the awsome battery life though
Windows Vista uses battery life like it's going out of style. If I'm running Vista on my laptop, it lasts only 2 hours, while if I'm running XP, its around 3 hours. It doesn't help that my laptop's battery itself isn't all that great, either.

Mac and Ubuntu would be an awesome combination.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
After years and years of being laptop only I'm buying a desktop to complement it. It's good to have a stationary object, I think.

seakebab

HSC
You're such a neeeeeerd, V.

My cousin has a Mac, and all you do is work, work work, Macs would be spectacular for you. Yes, spectacular. Magnificent even. If I didn't play so much games, I'd get a Mac

Get a Mac. :hammer:

You can also uuuuh, I forgot what I was going to say.. oh yeah, get that student discount thing on Macs. Unless it's only Uni students, but check it out anyway.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
seakebab said:
You can also uuuuh, I forgot what I was going to say.. oh yeah, get that student discount thing on Macs. Unless it's only Uni students, but check it out anyway.
Yup, she can get a student discount.

bawd

HSC
seakebab said:
You're such a neeeeeerd, V.

My cousin has a Mac, and all you do is work, work work, Macs would be spectacular for you. Yes, spectacular. Magnificent even. If I didn't play so much games, I'd get a Mac

Get a Mac. :hammer:

Shut up Kebab. I'm going to force you into studying next term, which will eventually lead to the purchase of a Mac.

And YAY at student discount! :)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
but the student discount really is not that much anyway is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)