Lower UMAT cutoffs? (2 Viewers)

Medman

HSC
Better luck next year :(
I will try GAMSAT, I have a feeling my strengths lie there.
GAMSAT is death in disguise. One of the most horrid exams I've taken. English components were uni level so I got my ass handed to me. Luckily for me I did pretty well in the science section. I think I found you on FB lolz

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
GAMSAT is death in disguise. One of the most horrid exams I've taken. English components were uni level so I got my ass handed to me. Luckily for me I did pretty well in the science section. I think I found you on FB lolz
Do you think I should go for both and destroy myself? Or just stick to one?
Lol I may be related to someone you know :p I wonder if you noticed. Why are you stalking me?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Medman bro; join the master race ;)

Do you think I should go for both and destroy myself? Or just stick to one?
Lol I may be related to someone you know :p I wonder if you noticed. Why are you stalking me?
the question is why not? :p

Nazy

HSC
Do you live in a low SES suburb? Some schools offer a program at UNSW to do a psychology course which you can get atar points of. 8 maximum. INCLUDING MEDICINE! I know at least 10 people that participated in that program... I'm not sure if it's on offer at all schools. And the program is in the long school holidays between year 11 and 12. Although it's too late, it could help other students. As others have mentioned, UWS has relatively "low" cutoffs for both atar and umat. The atar doesn't even count as long as you surpass the threshold of 93.5 (GWS) or 95.5 (non-GWS). After that it's 1/3 of your S1, S2, S3 in a ratio of 1:1:0.5 and 2/3 of your interview. So if you have good communication skills, great ability to think on the spot and or are very passionate about medicine you have a good chance of being accepted as long as you have gotten an interview offer. All that relys on umat.

Other than that most unis for med don't take any special consideration for any one. Other than living in rural Australia which means you'd probably have to be a doctor there after you finish. You can always apply via non-standard entry and rely on your uni results or you can do postgraduate. And never give up if it's truly what you want. I went to get my arm x-rayed the other day and the lady that came to give me the x-Ray happened to try out for medicine 3 times and still failed. I know a guy that applied, and on his fourth time he got accepted. My mum's obstetrician surgeon received an atar of 93. But went in the pg way. If your willing to sacrifice a time and money you can definitely get there. Everyone has their own speeds of learning so don't give up! Good luck!

Xt

HSC
N/A
I know that at some universities, rural students have a lower UMAT cutoff. Like an extremely low UMAT cutoff.

I was wondering if there's any types of schemes or such at any university, that can allow a lower cutoff if someone is able to demonstrate they have been severely disadvantaged?

:)
UniMelb has a Graduate Access Scheme which lowers the entry score for their MD program. I believe USYD also has a similar program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)