MacBook Air (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
jenchowdhury said:
unimpressed by the absence of a cd drive and low storage space. 64gbs is just not enough. i think ill just stick to my 160gb macbook thanks.
Second

Doesn't it have shit all USB drives or something aswell and like no firewire?

dolbinau

HSC
Studentleader said:
Second

Doesn't it have shit all USB drives or something aswell and like no firewire?
Well all of your concerns are appropriate for the type of machine it is; the 64 GB 'drive' is actually a $1,000 USD option so you'll fine it is actually seen as a feature rather than an absence of one. (SSD). Similarly, the lack of USB ports and FireWire is too keep the design light and (mainly) thin.

The MacBook Air is Apple's lightest, thinnest notebook - Obviously it is going to have some compromises so if you don't want to take them then you should look at Apple's complete product lineup.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
i dont like the fact that the battery is not user-removable (as with most apple products) and the ram is soldered onto the logic board

EDIT: oh and the damn price tag too

xeb

HSC
In terms of industrial design the air is one of the best out, but the price (as said before) is to excessive. Additionally for a 80GB drive and 15.3 screen (off memory), the air is only useful for portability, even though apple has brouht out an optical drive to up the storage capacity it costs another 99 US bucks. What i find even more rattling is that on the notebook...there is only 1 USB port available unless u buy extensions...which means more money for consumers.

dolbinau

HSC
p4e81 said:
i dont like the fact that the battery is not user-removable (as with most apple products) and the ram is soldered onto the logic board

EDIT: oh and the damn price tag too
The only other Apple products with irreplaceable batteries are handheld devices (iPod/iPhone). Certainly not most.

Supermodified

HSC
I'm buying the cheapest MacBook in a few days. For uni. Anyone want an iPod Nano 4GB for $170?

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
for getting the most into the smallest space macbook air wins

but its just about usless. im pretty sure my gamebody has more features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Air#Criticism

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9850943-7.html

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=macbook+air&word2=dell+xps

even
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=macbook+air&word2=turd

so what im saying is..zomg dont waste ur money on 1.36kg of plastic and circuitry that i think will float (perhaps its greatest use?)

Steppenwolf

HSC
i'd be scared to type on the damn thing.. besides apple comps are lame :)

Freshmex

Stapler Donator.
HSC
Meh stop having a massive cry about it. It's designed to do something (i.e. compute wirelessly) and you're all being such dicks about it by bitching about the lack of an optical drive or how you can't plug in an ethernet cable. It's analogous to complaining that a spoon does a shit job at helping you eat spaghetti, when its purpose is obviously something else. Or getting frustrated when you're lost in rural China and you can't seem to get directions from a goat.

I like it because it'll be innovative given favourable circumstances, but I wouldn't consider buying one. As said in a previous post, an extra $100 gets me a MacBook Pro, which I think is infinitesimally better, and the most aesthetically pleasing portable computer.

ippie

HSC
^pft innovative, so what? Shitty functions, lack of standard features = MASSIVE FAIL

price of macbook pro - 4k - can get you 2 good laptops (any other brand...maybe excluding sony)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Macs are really good, but it's not widely use like Windows, not a lot of software you could find that is capable with Mac compared to PC, plus the file type is different. But meh, if you want to show it off to people or trigger some thug to bash you for that Mac, go ahead and get one. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Freshmex said:
Meh stop having a massive cry about it. It's designed to do something (i.e. compute wirelessly) and you're all being such dicks about it by bitching about the lack of an optical drive or how you can't plug in an ethernet cable. It's analogous to complaining that a spoon does a shit job at helping you eat spaghetti, when its purpose is obviously something else. Or getting frustrated when you're lost in rural China and you can't seem to get directions from a goat.

I like it because it'll be innovative given favourable circumstances, but I wouldn't consider buying one. As said in a previous post, an extra $100 gets me a MacBook Pro, which I think is infinitesimally better, and the most aesthetically pleasing portable computer.
Maybe you should look up 'infinitessimal', you might be surprised.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
MacBook Air is an experimental product that fulfills a niche market.Apple is trying to pave a way towards the future.
They were the first to remove the floppy drive from personal computers. This is the next logical step.

dolbinau

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Macs are really good, but it's not widely use like Windows, not a lot of software you could find that is capable with Mac compared to PC, plus the file type is different. But meh, if you want to show it off to people or trigger some thug to bash you for that Mac, go ahead and get one. :)
Besides gaming, there isn't much you can do in Windows that you can't do in OS X.

elnewb

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
When they make a notebook as thin as that one that is actually useable (eg. CD/DVD drive, faster hard drive, more ports) and not ridiculously overpriced I will be impressed.
I think you are missing the point of this laptop. IT IS NOT A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT!

This is designed to accompany an existing computer of your own. This is for something light, ultra portable and small. Something for meetings to jot down some notes on. Or to travel with.

Honestly I cant remember the last time I actually put a CD in my laptop anyway. A Faster Hard drive? This is a laptop it needs to save power ie a slower hard drive.

More ports? Do you really expect to be able to plug in your two external hard disks 7.1 surround sound system, Microphone, External monitor while you are on a bus or train? No didn't think so.

chicky_pie said:
Sounds like you don't know much about macs or computers in general just by the way you talk. I can run almost every game available for Windows in Mac OS X . What software is it missing? I have word, MSN, 10 different Web Browsers, Adobe CS3, the iLife suite, DVD ripping software, Skype... the list goes on. So what software is Mac OS X missing again?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)