MacBook Pro vs ???? (Is there better for uni)? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also I'm having trouble highlighting text, obviously to highlight a text you just click once, hold, and drag, but for me after the drag I have to tap once so I'll be able to move my mouse freely without having to highlight more (unnecessary) things. What do I do?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Nevermind, bit by bit I'm starting to learn haha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Guessing you went with the Macbook :) Which one did you get?

For other people reading this thread, I also would've considered the Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook which seems competitively priced at around $1500 for an i7 (at least here in Singapore) but this is more gaming oriented since you'd probably want the external GPU which could be $500+ not including the card itself! It also has a shorter battery life than competing laptops but seems to be the best way to get a gaming laptop.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Guessing you went with the Macbook :) Which one did you get?

For other people reading this thread, I also would've considered the Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook which seems competitively priced at around $1500 for an i7 (at least here in Singapore) but this is more gaming oriented since you'd probably want the external GPU which could be $500+ not including the card itself! It also has a shorter battery life than competing laptops but seems to be the best way to get a gaming laptop.
When I made this thread, I had already bought the Macbook Pro with Retina 128GB, but it wasn't opened (still in the box) because I didn't know whether to refund it or not. It's a beautiful device but I think it needs time to get used to.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is there a program equivalent to MS Paint for mac? I want to be able to crop parts of a photo and resize the image with the pointer (just like in MS Paint).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there a program equivalent to MS Paint for mac? I want to be able to crop parts of a photo and resize the image with the pointer (just like in MS Paint).
Search the Appstore

Paint X Lite seems similar and is free.

Actually never mind download GIMP probably your best bet.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
When I made this thread, I had already bought the Macbook Pro with Retina 128GB, but it wasn't opened (still in the box) because I didn't know whether to refund it or not. It's a beautiful device but I think it needs time to get used to.
Fair enough. As long as you like it, it's a beautiful machine and there's a reason why they get great reviews.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also what should I do with the $30 iTunes card that came with the macbook?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Is there a way to fix the drag release day? I done my research but better touch tool (the solution I found) is not free anymore so it's not so much a solution now, any ideas?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I need some clarification with charging the battery, I read this post and I need someone to explain this simply, what do I do?

"Also never let your macbook battery drain below 20%, always plug into the AC power if the battery gets to 20%. Ideally you should let the battery drain to 40-60% once every month so that the electrons in the lithium battery move about; otherwise I keep mine plugged in as I use my MBP as a desktop replacement. If you do let it drain to say 50% each month that means the battery will go through 1 full cycle every 2 months or 6 per year. The fewer cycles the better, but sooner or later you will have to replace the battery, as it is only designed for 1000 cycles."

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I need some clarification with charging the battery, I read this post and I need someone to explain this simply, what do I do?

"Also never let your macbook battery drain below 20%, always plug into the AC power if the battery gets to 20%. Ideally you should let the battery drain to 40-60% once every month so that the electrons in the lithium battery move about; otherwise I keep mine plugged in as I use my MBP as a desktop replacement. If you do let it drain to say 50% each month that means the battery will go through 1 full cycle every 2 months or 6 per year. The fewer cycles the better, but sooner or later you will have to replace the battery, as it is only designed for 1000 cycles."
How can I let the battery drain 40-60% once every month when I'm going to be use the macbook everyday? Do I gotta keep the charger plugged in? Isn't that bad?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
He means at least once a month you should be using the laptop on the battery, but don't use it up to 20% or less left.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
He means at least once a month you should be using the laptop on the battery, but don't use it up to 20% or less left.
And how do I use the laptop battery only once a month? Does that mean I should be constantly charging the macbook?

Dibbles99

HSC
When comparing hardware specifics , Apple Devices are always overpriced, overpriced in comparison to their PC counterparts. As long as you have at-least 4GB DDR3 ram, a quad core i3 or above processor ( AMD A8 etc + ), you will run all software required for HSC and Preliminary courses with ease. In reference to compatibility Microsoft Products by default have more support and software,Microsoft Office and other useful softwares are made for distributions of Macintosh and Unix/Linux

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also how does one decharge his macbook to 50% once a month, isn't that bad for the battery because I know that constantly charging the battery doesn't do any good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)