• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Macq or UWS Comm/Law? (1 Viewer)

cjwkang93

HSC
Hey people, i was wondering if i should go to Macq or UWS Comm/law. I got 94.10 ATAR so im a bit below for Macq but above for UWS and in terms of travel, MQ is wayyyyy closer than UWS, about 10mins for MQ and 1hr for UWS. I want to major in finance or business related area when i do Comm/Law as well. What are my chances of getting into Comm/law at both unis for mid year intake? Also im considering UTS as well but seeing that my atar is too low for there, im sorta backing off from it, any suggestions for this?

converge

HSC
N/A
Mid-year transfers would only see your ATAR taken into consideration (for first years). If you want your GPA to be considered you would have to do a full year of university study. Since Macquarie is closer for you, I would go with that uni and internally transfer from there.

Last edited:

cjwkang93

HSC
Oh yeah, ummm.. i'm currently studying medical science and i really really hate it especially human biology... the science in there is sooooooo different from science from HSC. So i was wondering if i should just drop human biology and complete my maths(2 subjects), chemistry and physics since im fairly good at those (probably because i did similar stuff in HSC). Since i hate what i'm doing and want to decide on an alternate pathway, i came up with a few options in mind.
1. Drop out of medical science entirely(i know it's past census date) and just wait till mid-year intakes: applying for comm/law major in finance at macq, comm at usyd, comm/law at UWS, etc
2. Continue with my studies but drop human biology and internally transfer to comm/sci(maths)
3. Drop out of medical science and do engineering at UNSW since i like maths and physics but im not positive about whether if i like engineering or not... again apply for mid-year intake

Also if i dropped out of uni right now, will i have some kind of tertiary record?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
You can make it into Macq law with your ATAR I believe, check it up with Enoilgram who got an offer I believe in the first round with an ATAR similar to yours. If you're applying for UAC, you can do it now and can start in second semester. Mid semester applications just started and end in May!

But yeah just because it's advertised as 95-97 ATAR it does not mean you'll get it! Remember it's determined by supply and demand also, and the strength of other applicants. Mid-Sem will have a lot less people applying also so be sure to attempt! Good luck

If you don't get in, try UWS Law. It's a brilliant course, I heard UWS law is very practical and is pretty easy to get into, considering the ATAR is quite low for a Bachelor of Laws and also a lot of bonus points for it. Also UWS law is comparable on the prestige level to Macquarie or even better, not too sure can anyone confirm this with me.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah, ummm.. i'm currently studying medical science and i really really hate it especially human biology... the science in there is sooooooo different from science from HSC. So i was wondering if i should just drop human biology and complete my maths(2 subjects), chemistry and physics since im fairly good at those (probably because i did similar stuff in HSC). Since i hate what i'm doing and want to decide on an alternate pathway, i came up with a few options in mind.
1. Drop out of medical science entirely(i know it's past census date) and just wait till mid-year intakes: applying for comm/law major in finance at macq, comm at usyd, comm/law at UWS, etc
2. Continue with my studies but drop human biology and internally transfer to comm/sci(maths)
3. Drop out of medical science and do engineering at UNSW since i like maths and physics but im not positive about whether if i like engineering or not... again apply for mid-year intake

Also if i dropped out of uni right now, will i have some kind of tertiary record?
May I ask also, It seems a bit odd. But why did you pick Law if you're intending to transfer, if you are going to exit the Medical field of study? Do you have passion to do Law/Commerce? Remember Law is going to be dead hard if there is no passion and interest in it. So yeah consider this before you transfer or pursue it.

UNI deadlines for dropping subjects should've passed by now, I know @ UNSW it has. But confirm it with your university. If it has passed, then yes you will suffer an academic and financial penalty.

cjwkang93

HSC
May I ask also, It seems a bit odd. But why did you pick Law if you're intending to transfer, if you are going to exit the Medical field of study? Do you have passion to do Law/Commerce? Remember Law is going to be dead hard if there is no passion and interest in it. So yeah consider this before you transfer or pursue it.

UNI deadlines for dropping subjects should've passed by now, I know @ UNSW it has. But confirm it with your university. If it has passed, then yes you will suffer an academic and financial penalty.
yeah i've confirmed that i can drop out of my studies before 27th of april without having any failures AKA "Discontinue without Fail" and also i never had interest in medical field, sorta pressured by my asian family and i decided to chose my path for myself quite late.... such bad timing.... at least i've learnt my lesson to do something that i have some form of interest. I am interested in business and i like maths so i came down to a conclusion to either do Actuarial Studies or Comm/Law but i heard not many people get a job as an Actuary so... sorta leaning towards Comm/law, correct me if im wrong about the difficulty in getting a job for an actuary and if anyone would like to add some information about the difficulty in getting a job with a law degree. I'm planning to go Comm/Law but major in Finance so... i dun think i'll be going into a law firm but possibly become a financial consultant or something like that

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
It's a pretty uncertain economic outlook, there are redundancies in at least one or two big firms across most white collar jobs..
but yeah, i did read somewhere that only 40% of actuary graduates ended up becoming actuaries.
if you're not really interested in becoming a lawyer, but becoming some sort of a financial consultant, a good area where there is heaps of demand is in corporations law, particularly because of all the 'new' reporting issues which have come up since 2001. even now, more than 10 years later, my tutor said that there was still alot of work available in this area, and that this area was a significant growth area.

As for macq, i thought you could only transfer externally into law at the beginning of each new year, but i guess this has changed (or perhaps i was mistaken)

Either way, I'd suggest for you to pursue your interests. As for your family pressuring you into medicine (which i assume is the ultimate goal), perhaps you can tell them about how there are too many medicine students, and not enough vacancies for residencies once they graduate?

.. though the same could be said for the over-supply of law graduates.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's pretty much an oversupply in most white-collar industries. However, if you're keen and committed, you will do fine, no matter where you study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)