Macquarie University Ranking? (1 Viewer)

BlueTomato

HSC
Seriously.. what is up? Macquarie Universitie's rankings seems to be declining each year , i know the new library is up and i was wondering if it wud contribute to macquarie's improvement in the rankings?, Was jzu wondering what were teh factors that cause such a drastic fall in the world ranking as states by QS and Times.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I really can't pin point why/if there's a decline in world rankings, but in all honesty they're the last thing on my mind. Where are you getting these stats from?

The only thing that concerns me is employability within Australia, for which I think Macquarie University is quite good at the moment. It would perhaps be a different story if you were planning on moving overseas, however even with some good work experience in Australia you could still arguably secure a good placement in another country.

BlueTomato

HSC
I really can't pin point why/if there's a decline in world rankings, but in all honesty they're the last thing on my mind. Where are you getting these stats from?

The only thing that concerns me is employability within Australia, for which I think Macquarie University is quite good at the moment. It would perhaps be a different story if you were planning on moving overseas, however even with some good work experience in Australia you could still arguably secure a good placement in another country.

I was really bored at work so i looked up the uni rankings just for the fun of it , while being an international student we usually base our uni preferences on rankings , tho ofcoz ther are various other reasons but tis is how we roughly gauge which is a good uni , but nevertheless im still sticking with my choice, was juz rather curious how the ranking dropped so far tats all , oh yea i used the Times Ranking for 2010-2011.

X

xeuyrawp

Macquarie's dropped in all major rankings - and very much so in the Beijing and THES rankings.

It's unclear why, really. If anything, the university seems to be improving. I mean I think the campus feels better than it did when I first started there in 2005.

Seriously.. what is up? Macquarie Universitie's rankings seems to be declining each year , i know the new library is up and i was wondering if it wud contribute to macquarie's improvement in the rankings?, Was jzu wondering what were teh factors that cause such a drastic fall in the world ranking as states by QS and Times.

To be frank, you should ignore rankings. I will give you an explicit example: I go to one of the best universities in the world, no-one can really dispute that. However, it's usually ranked below Harvard. But for what I want to do, Harvard is awful; there is only one full-time professor there in my field, the library isn't particularly good, they haven't got good fieldwork, my related fields (linguistics and archaeology) aren't particularly strong there, I don't think Boston would be a very nice city, etc etc etc.

You need to look at the university for you. Rankings are intrinsically irrelevant.

BlueTomato

HSC
Macquarie's dropped in all major rankings - and very much so in the Beijing and THES rankings.

It's unclear why, really. If anything, the university seems to be improving. I mean I think the campus feels better than it did when I first started there in 2005.

To be frank, you should ignore rankings. I will give you an explicit example: I go to one of the best universities in the world, no-one can really dispute that. However, it's usually ranked below Harvard. But for what I want to do, Harvard is awful; there is only one full-time professor there in my field, the library isn't particularly good, they haven't got good fieldwork, my related fields (linguistics and archaeology) aren't particularly strong there, I don't think Boston would be a very nice city, etc etc etc.

You need to look at the university for you. Rankings are intrinsically irrelevant.

Well i understand that a lot of PRESTIGIOUS universities are juz built up hype and arent as good as they claim to be , however they do have a strong brand name and i believe coming from a university with a name such as Harvard will definitely increase ur employment rate regardless how bad ur uni experience was

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie is an excellent Uni, the atmosphere is really great and everyone is friendly and the lecturers and tutors are very dedicated :)

X

xeuyrawp

Well i understand that a lot of PRESTIGIOUS universities are juz built up hype and arent as good as they claim to be , however they do have a strong brand name and i believe coming from a university with a name such as Harvard will definitely increase ur employment rate regardless how bad ur uni experience was
I really must disagree with this - it's not *just* built up hype. The resources and students here are much, much noticeably better than Macquarie.

Lou283

HSC
I have to disagree with you there a bit. Like PwarYuex mentioned for some things like PwarYuex's speciality it's so niche that employers KNOW who the good universities are for their speciality. If PwarYuex went to Harvard yes, to you and me that would seem impressive but to PwarYuex's peers it sounds as though Oxford is more 'impressive' and 'employable' to them.

Obviously I am not going to go as far to say MQ is the best at anything but take Actuarial Studies - this is supposedly best done at MQ then any other university in UNSW. For me, MQ was the only place that allowed me to both do marketing and take my electives in media units I enjoyed. It wasn't possible at UNSW or USYd because of their course structures. I think there is alot of things that need to be taken into account when reading Uni Rankings.

Also take medicine - It's not done at MQ therefore it wouldn't be a good idea for a future medical student to look at the rankings and consider MQ.

BlueTomato

HSC
I have to disagree with you there a bit. Like PwarYuex mentioned for some things like PwarYuex's speciality it's so niche that employers KNOW who the good universities are for their speciality. If PwarYuex went to Harvard yes, to you and me that would seem impressive but to PwarYuex's peers it sounds as though Oxford is more 'impressive' and 'employable' to them.

Obviously I am not going to go as far to say MQ is the best at anything but take Actuarial Studies - this is supposedly best done at MQ then any other university in UNSW. For me, MQ was the only place that allowed me to both do marketing and take my electives in media units I enjoyed. It wasn't possible at UNSW or USYd because of their course structures. I think there is alot of things that need to be taken into account when reading Uni Rankings.

Also take medicine - It's not done at MQ therefore it wouldn't be a good idea for a future medical student to look at the rankings and consider MQ.
i see what you mean , im doing commerce (marketing) cause well i heard it has a pretty good rep commerce wise .

ruujin

HSC
If u really care about ranking of Macquarie Uni, i would suggest u go to Wikipedia, it said MAQU was actually ranked 67th in 2005 internationally, and the starting salaries for Macquarie graduates have been ranked as the highest in Australia for ten consecutive years (1998–2007), plus other informations too. so basically, MAQU's reputation is pretty high domestically, just not internationally due to the new ranking system.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Rankings are based on research.

They should not be consulted as a good source when researching which universities to go to for an undergraduate degree.

Rankings only become more relevant when you're considering postgraduate studies.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
as long as Macquarie remains the top 10 in Australia I don't see a reason to care about their international ranking, besides a factor in determining the ranks are the students that come out of the uni.
If you work hard and earn a name for yourself you can go anywhere and still succeed.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
as long as Macquarie remains the top 10 in Australia I don't see a reason to care about their international ranking, besides a factor in determining the ranks are the students that come out of the uni.
If you work hard and earn a name for yourself you can go anywhere and still succeed.
Is it in top 10?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, it should be noted that just because you go to MQ, doesn't prohibit you from getting into much better universities later on in your academic career, should you want to do that.

Case in point, PwarYuex (above) went to MQ, then is now at Oxford doing his PhD. Uni is what you make it.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The Times' University Rankings should not be taken too seriously. The criteria used may not reflect what some of us may consider to be the key measures of quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)