Mainstream - Wreck artists! (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
(and The Ballad of Michael Valentine is cool too, not sure what single it was released on)
It was on Somebody Told Me single

HSC
What about Green Day??
They were alright before. Now they think they're hardcore punks with 'political music'.

Oh, and Jet's 'Cold Hard Bitch' was crap too.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
whiterabbit said:
What about Green Day??
They were alright before. Now they think they're hardcore punks with 'political music'.

Oh, and Jet's 'Cold Hard Bitch' was crap too.
At least Greenday are still Greenday, more than can be said for bands such as the Offspring.

PS Jet were always crap:)

slip

HSC
you need to realise that bands grow as artists, and just as your likes/dislikes have changed since you were 10 there style of music will change as they are influenced by a greater variety of sounds and learn more about what they are doing.

i think the last blink album was the most mature album they produced, and while i didnt fall in love immediatly the more i listened to it the more i liked it. musically speaking it is definately there best album to date.

for me there is nothing worse then a band producing 2 identical albums, as bands change there style they introduce you to knew styles, and in doing so introduce to new styles. and diversifying your music collection is great.

another example is red hot chili peppers, for me there peak was blood sugar, that took 10 years under a record deal to produce... therefore the industry had a good effect on them. what your saying works both ways. ying and yang.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i hate sell-outs and teeny-boppers embracing artists with a lack of talent but did anyone stop and realise that some of these 'musicians' depend on record sales for their livelihood? sure they aren't starving but wouldn't we all like to make an obscene amount of money?

but people from idol/x-factor/popstars have no excuse. they gave up their dayjobs at coles to become one hit wonders and convince major record labels to dispose of great bands like you am i.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
withoutaface said:
PS Jet were always crap:)
amen to that...

i have to say that it does piss me off when artists deliberately change everything about their band that makes them great to conform to the mainstream. But, on the other hand i do think that alot of people like to use the line "Oh there old stuff is like so much better then there new shit" just because they think it makes them look like they have superior music tastes.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
imsooverskool said:
i have to say that it does piss me off when artists deliberately change everything about their band that makes them great to conform to the mainstream.
You mean like Grinspoon?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
absolution* said:
In my opinion, "Mr Brightside" is one of the best songs ever written, up there with "Everlong" and "Buddy Holly".
Everlong and Buddy Holly are probably my 2 favourite songs of all time. Nice to see someone else appreciates them :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you base your musical tastes on "popularity" then you're a bit of a mong.

To the comment on Green Day, if you hadnt heard, politics and music has been mixing since the 60's it doesnt matter who you are, you could probably pinpoint some sort of agenda in various bands and songs nowdays, its a fact of life. I dont think they regard themselves as "hardcore punkers" especially considering how far from punk their new album is.

Slipknot, I agree that subliminal verses is probably their best album musically, and probably killed off the majority of their fan base, mostly those kids who screamed out "theyre so like hardcore".

Wake up and smell the roses, $$$ makes the world go round, and in the end, "alternative" and "underground" are just terms to describe genres rather than the actual position of many bands/groups nowdays.

pristine

HSC
yeh it still exasperates me everytime i go to a gig and a "fan" is always there behind me shouting "we love you!"... when really, they know nothing about the band and are only there for the image.

THAT and people who follow the trend in music.

a classic example is probably good charlotte. i knew of them before they ever appeared on the charts, and just have a look at them now. TEENYBOPPERS =|

spiny norman

HSC
Most bands peak with an early album in their career, if not their debut. I can not think of too many examples where this is not the case. Though The Beatles are the most obvious. To begin with they are musically more fresh and experimental and whatnot, thus musically are better.

That said, most of what people have named as examples sucked to begin with and then proceeded to continue sucking later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)