making friends (1 Viewer)

samuelclarke

HSC
How do you kick start conversations without coming off as some weirdo?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
just say 'hey, hows it going?' smile and wait for a response and take the convo from there. just think everyone is in the same position as you on the first few days (wanna make new friends) so itll be hard to come across as weird

HSC
The standard ice breaker the first couple classes is 'Is this x class?'. Basically everyone is in the same boat as you and should be pretty willing to at least exchange pleasantries with you. If not, talk to someone else.

so_what

HSC
I made a good friend in a book shop. Saw she was buying the same course notes as I was and began from there.

funstudy

HSC
Just ask generic questions i.e. what classes are you taking, what school did you go to etc. Most people would be willing to participate in conversations as everyone is new, and so they're in the same boat as you

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
take up smoking smokers stick together :haha:

you got group assignments and shit too so don't stress you will get to know people... just don't be pretentious, and don't be one of those mutes who always sits in the corner... get involved basically... and you don't need to take up smoking to make friends at uni...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you kick start conversations without coming off as some weirdo?
Well at UNSW some tutors have these first lesson ice-breakers activities. It's pretty stupid, if you don't want to talk to someone - no need to force it geez.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Well at UNSW some tutors have these first lesson ice-breakers activities. It's pretty stupid, if you don't want to talk to someone - no need to force it geez.
those are stupid and just make things heaps more awkward afterwards hahaha!!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate those things, I prefer just striking up organic conversation with people not doing those ice breaker things.

And same principles apply to how you normally you know, strike up conversation irl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)