marketing as a major (1 Viewer)

Valupatitta

HSC
is it hard to find job and is it low salary for pplz that work in the marketing world? thxxx

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Apparently after "The Gruen Transfer" (a show about advertising and it's effectivness etc) aired on ABC people taking up marketing degree's skyrocketed. Though I'm sure there would still be heaps of job prospects as there's plenty of businesses out there. and you'd assume they'd pay fairly good.

Valupatitta

HSC
if i wanna do a double major whats a good major that goes well with marketing?

loler

HSC
accounting is the safest as your other major, most opportunity, or economics.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Actuarial studies, you did 4 unit math right? If you like math then give it a go, huge starting salaries.

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
Actuarial studies, you did 4 unit math right? If you like math then give it a go, huge starting salaries.
i'm not so sure if actuarial would go well with marketing. I do not know of 1 other person in my actuarial class, is also taking a marketing major

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
i'm not so sure if actuarial would go well with marketing. I do not know of 1 other person in my actuarial class, is also taking a marketing major
I guess so, but I do know that a lot of people find jobs at banks devising mortgage packages, and savings account packages, maybe marketing might come in handy there :S

jassono

HSC
I dont think so, marketing and actuaries seem a bit diametric. I hate maths to the point that it makes me sick, so my brother suggested, while still sticking to the commerce line of work, that I do marketing, as its for the 'westernised asians' who prefer english
Like yeah actuaries and financiers enter banks and make shitloads, but I dont think they would need marketing as a second major

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I dont think so, marketing and actuaries seem a bit diametric. I hate maths to the point that it makes me sick, so my brother suggested, while still sticking to the commerce line of work, that I do marketing, as its for the 'westernised asians' who prefer english
Like yeah actuaries and financiers enter banks and make shitloads, but I dont think they would need marketing as a second major
haha fair enough, though why'd you do ext2 math if you hate it? just for the scaling?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I've worked at a few marketing agencies now (not as a marketer, just in office admin roles).

Marketing is all dependent on your creativity and people skills. In other words, when those ideas stop coming out of your head, youre expendable.

Anyone can do marketing. Which is why most firms are usually full of young individuals. Marketing firms also tend to have flat organisational structures so there is really not any opportunity for advancing as far as you would in a bank or some other institution.

You have to be really fucking good at it.

jassono

HSC
haha fair enough, though why'd you do ext2 math if you hate it? just for the scaling?

....:( yeah for scaling
Those people who tell you to do what you are interested in, well I didnt pay attention when they spoke to me

Bananaberry

HSC
I'm working as a marketing manager at the moment (it's my 2nd job out of uni)
Marketing is generally hard to get into at first. Even if you are a graduate, people with experience, whether it be internships, unpaid work experience, or paid work experience while they are at uni, are going to have more of a chance over those who don't.
My advice is while your at uni, try and get a job in something marketing related, or apply for internships - anything to get experience and network. Most of the time its not what you know, but who you know.

Pay is generally good, I guess it depends on what industry and how big the company is. I started off after uni on about 45k, now around 20-25k more in my current job.

Marketers generally suck at math. If you going to do a double degree do something that will be more supportive like communications or management.
The most math related stuff I do is budgets and invoice coding which is basic math. Unless you want a fall back career, doing accounting or economics as a double degree with marketing is a waste of time.

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i think i'd be pretty good at marketing.
my creativity is pretty good.

any chance i could try 'marketing' whilst not having to major in it?

i'd probably major in accounting as that'd probably the most useful for me.

even if i dont become an accountant, i could do my own taxes etc

Bananaberry

HSC
If the uni offers them, you may be able to do electives outside your major. My uni allowed us to do electives outside our degree which gave us a taste of other disiplines, so maybe thats an option for you if its possible.

rx34

HSC
i think i'd be pretty good at marketing.
my creativity is pretty good.

any chance i could try 'marketing' whilst not having to major in it?

i'd probably major in accounting as that'd probably the most useful for me.

even if i dont become an accountant, i could do my own taxes etc

The problem with marketing is, you really have to be creative and think outside the box. It's good you have it, unfortunately, I have no creativeness present in me at all. If you are just doing Commerce alone, you can do a double major in Accounting and Marketing.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You don't need to do marketing in university to work in marketing.

Bananaberry

HSC
You do if you want a good job with decent pay. If you look at many marketing job ad's you will see most require tertiary qualifications in marketing, communications or business. My first job out of uni, a marketing assistant at an rsl club required it, let alone a marketing position at a large company.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You do if you want a good job with decent pay. If you look at many marketing job ad's you will see most require tertiary qualifications in marketing, communications or business. My first job out of uni, a marketing assistant at an rsl club required it, let alone a marketing position at a large company.
Business. Which equates to practically anything within the commerce spectrum of majors.

Bananaberry

HSC
Business. Which equates to practically anything within the commerce spectrum of majors.

I did not mean that so generally. Somebody would not employ an accounting graduate in a marketing field, and vice versa. If they had relevant marketing experience it might be different. But taking accounting and marketing for instance, they are both two different disciplines within business.

robb3d

HSC
You don't need to do marketing in university to work in marketing.
This here is true. You don't even have to complete a business discipline for marketing related work - I've heard of many people completing B Arts, B Sci but getting into marketing.

But Bananaberry was on the point, it's not about what you know - it's about who you know.

Definitely get work experience where possible, and just keep working on those soft skills (presentation, etiquette).

Second major, I would do something like International Business or Strategy, which is more in-line with Marketing, rather than Accounting and Finance (only do these if I didn't know marketing).

Check out Home | Graduate Opportunities for some stats on graduate salary positions, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)