• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Martin Place Hostage Situation (6 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
8:29pm: Mr Scipione will not discuss the motive of the armed man, nor whether the five hostages who escaped were released or escaped.

He has raised the prospect of increasing police numbers "in coming days" should it come to that.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
1m ago
20:32
Commissioner Scipione is not prepared to be expansive with detail this evening.

Q: Has he been known to police?

We won’t go into the details about who is in there, how many are in there. We are not in a position to do that at the moment.
Q: Do you know who is in there?

At this stage we are putting that picture together. At this stage in terms of numbers, who they might be, we are not at liberty to go into that information.
Q: Can you tell us those five people, did they escape or were they released?

They are out of the building and rather than talk about how that happened, we are pleased to see them out.

The police commissioner is asked why the lights have gone off in the cafe in Martin Place. He won’t enter discussion about that.

When the time is right we can talk about that.
Q: What do you know of the condition of the hostages inside?

I understand no-one has been injured. And we are grateful.

(Journaling BOS style)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
[20:34]
At 8:45PM we will have reached the 11th hour of the siege

ffuuuaaarrrkkk

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Andrew Scipione:

"Clearly reprisal attacks are something that should not happen.

"At this stage, we need to let everyone just settle down. We want people to remain calm.

"There are large numbers of police that will be involved in ensuring we have a level of safety and, in fact, confidence that people can go about their business normally in any part of NSW particularly at this time."by Daniel Franklin 8:33 PM

8:31 PMTwitter
702 ABC Sydney
@702sydney
NSW Pol. Com. Scipione asks people to avoid Martin Place: There is no reason to be in and around that area. There is nothing to be seen.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I heard about that too, but I remember the reporter saying that it's a possibility but it isn't confirmed
I'd also like to point out that it isn't confirmed, and hypothesising over potential mental illness of the perpetrator can be extremely damaging for people experiencing mental health difficulties, and stigma surrounding it.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
e siege in Sydney comes just months after Australia’s biggest ever counter-terrorism raids and follows repeated warnings by ASIO, the domestic spy agency, of the growing threat of a homegrown domestic attack.
Much of the concern has focused on disaffected Muslim youths in the outer suburbs of Sydney and other capital cities. About 90 Australians have travelled to Iraq and Syria to fight with Isil and other extremist groups, with about 20 known to have died.
Just two weeks ago, the government passed new security laws, including the declaration of “no go zones” in Syria. Any Australian who travels to the zones could face 10 years in jail.
The raids in September apparently thwarted a plot to conduct public beheadings on the streets of Sydney.
Australia has about 500,000 Muslims, with large populations in Sydney and Melbourne.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Chris Reason ✔ @ChrisReason7
Follow
Still complete darkness at the Lindt Cafe, but you can just make out the black extremist flag being held up in the window
8:35 PM - 15 Dec 2014

[20:26]
NSW Police Commissioner sums up the position of the police:
We will not speculate on motive
We will not discuss anything regarding who is in the building or how many people are in the building
We will not disclose how the people who left the cafe were able to leave
The means by which we have contact with the gunman will not be revealed
"First and foremost we are going to make sure we do nothing that will jeopardize those in the building."
"I want to praise Sydneysiders for what they've done today."
"We are at this moment only dealing with one location."
"We want people to remain calm."
"We are working with community leaders to ensure everyone is kept safe."
If you see something suspicious, contact authorities immediately. You may use 000 to do so.

I'll be on a break till around 9pm. Guys keep refreshing news outlets/posting pls

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
The commissioner is asked about onlookers, should they clear the area? He says the community acted impeccably today, and he’d be glad to see that continue.

There is no need for people to be in and around that area for there is nothing to be seen. Again, if we can get that level of support tomorrow as we did today, we will be in a good place managing crowds or any such gathering.
The commissioner also indicates the police think there is only one location of interest at this point.

Q: Have you cleared the Opera House and buildings of any explosive devices?

We are only dealing with one location. We are not concerned about any other.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
The commissioner is asked about onlookers, should they clear the area? He says the community acted impeccably today, and he’d be glad to see that continue.

There is no need for people to be in and around that area for there is nothing to be seen. Again, if we can get that level of support tomorrow as we did today, we will be in a good place managing crowds or any such gathering.
The commissioner also indicates the police think there is only one location of interest at this point.

Q: Have you cleared the Opera House and buildings of any explosive devices?

We are only dealing with one location. We are not concerned about any other.
They probably shouldn't just focus on one location tbh

Confound

HSC
Yeah I don't really believe them when they say there are no other threats

Confound

HSC
I work just 500 metres from lindt cafe :O I thought I was far from it but it's only 500m wow. Still relatively far though right?

turntaker

HSC
I think the motive for the terrorist is to stop abbot from introducing the GP co payment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)