Martin Place Hostage Situation (1 Viewer)

jdennis

HSC
What? Seriously? Where's the problem in what Turnbull has said? And to all the people who liked it, bloody hell. How is it not ok to talk about the love that Jesus had?
Because in a situation like this where a lot of questions are being asked about religion, it has the potential to alienate people from Australian society through associating them with the perpetrator through common religious beliefs (obviously to different extents, but the label of Islam remains the same).

I saw one article by a Christian bloke talking about how Australians should welcome Muslims into the community - which was fine - but then he went on to say that we should do this even though the beliefs of these people are flawed and maybe Christians should see this as an opportunity to win people over to their religion. I just don't think it's necessary to mention religion! What would have been wrong with Turnbull saying that he liked the service because it was about the common bond of love that humans share? Why did religion have to come into it?

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
#notridewithyou

spread it around, fuck those fuckers who say #illridewithyou

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Trends · Change
Pakistan
#illridewithyou
#edchat
#PeshawarAttack
#FFACupFinal
#sydneysiege
Tori Johnson
Jeb Bush
Martin Place

Twitter trends

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Because in a situation like this where a lot of questions are being asked about religion, it has the potential to alienate people from Australian society through associating them with the perpetrator through common religious beliefs (obviously to different extents, but the label of Islam remains the same).

I saw one article by a Christian bloke talking about how Australians should welcome Muslims into the community - which was fine - but then he went on to say that we should do this even though the beliefs of these people are flawed and maybe Christians should see this as an opportunity to win people over to their religion. I just don't think it's necessary to mention religion! What would have been wrong with Turnbull saying that he liked the service because it was about the common bond of love that humans share? Why did religion have to come into it?
People have always turned to religion in times of crisis. The muslim community held massive prays during the siege for the victims. There's nothing wrong with what Turnbull did.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The gunman had a gun licence

What even.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
fuck off, I like guns! :lol:

I've always thought of gun owners as a tad weird... However, I really don't give a shit if they own them or not... It's like drugs... There will always be a way to have them in some form of market... better to have that market regulated and tightly controlled, than completely prohibiting it and letting any Tom, Dick and Harry getting a gun one way or another...

If there is a will and the person has enough motivation... he (or she) will find a way...

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
makes you wonder why dont we have concealed carry permits in australia

if a few of those hostages had concealed carry permits the situation might have been a lot difference.
Yes a shootout would occur, people will still die.

I doubt anyone would be CCing in martin place anyway, considering its full of courts and financial buildings. Have fun carrying a weapon to a courthouse or a bank.

Jim Jefferies:
I don’t now what the end result of this stand off will be, but I do know this, he will only shoot that shotgun once before the police will be in there.

This is a piss weak terrorist at best.

If this happened in the USA the guy would have semi automatic weapons and hand guns that could easily kill many people in a short period of time.

It seems to me that gun control in Australia is working better than ever.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

if a few of those hostages had concealed carry permits the situation might have been a lot difference.
Those hostages would have no practical reason for a concealed carry. Most were lawyers/barristers, managers and cafe staff. They would be in and out of secure facilities day in day out and a concealed carry would probably become a nuisance.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ws-as-sydneysiders-quietly-pay-their-respects

Siege shrine grows as Sydneysiders quietly pay their respects
Floral tribute bursts it boundaries and peace messages are written in chalk as people of every possible age and race gather in the summer sun
Phoebe Finlayson, who took chalk to Martin Place. Within an hour scores of people had written condolences beside her original #illridewithyou message.
Phoebe Finlayson, who took chalk to Martin Place. Within an hour scores of people had written condolences beside her original #illridewithyou message. Photograph: Mike Bowers for the Guardian
Brigid Delaney
Wednesday 17 December 2014 17.17 AEST
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+
Shares
Comments
Thousands of people queued for more than hour on Wednesday afternoon to place flowers on the makeshift memorial in Martin Place in central Sydney, the scene of the fatal siege.

The floral tribute became so large, as the day went on, that it burst its boundaries. Police said they would be extending the memorial west to Pitt Street.

It’s hard to know what something means in the moments of its unfolding. Looking out on to the sea of people at Martin Place in the midday sunshine, as they queued in their summer shirts and dresses, flowers in hand, many weeping – it was easy to imagine this was some kind of turning point for Sydney. That if there is a reckoning to Monday’s siege it is that these events could make us softer, not tougher.

People queued quietly in lines that coiled up and down the block. There was the quality of hush usually only felt in churches.

When people reached the head of queue they placed their flowers with the others, many making the sign of the cross as they did so, others pausing to take photos, some arm in arm with friends, crying. Some people left coffee cups with flowers in them, others blocks of Lindt chocolate.

In the queues were men and women of every possible age and race; men in suits (some with the white ribbon protesting against family violence on their lapels), men and women in biker jackets and sleeve tattoos, young mothers who had caught the train in from the suburbs with their prams, retail workers still in their work shirts and name badges, those who had collected money at their offices and arrived on behalf of others with heaving bouquets of bottlebrush and wattle …

Sydneysiders file past a makeshift memorial in Martin Place
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
expand
Sydneysiders file past a makeshift memorial in Martin Place. Photograph: Peter Parks/AFP/Getty Images
There was no one type of person at Martin Place on Wednesday – instead there was every kind of Sydneysider.

Who were all these people? What were they doing here? What is it that galvanises ordinary people to forgo their Christmas shopping or office parties, to spend money on flowers and queue for more than an hour to place them on a pile?

Brian O’Toole, a 43-year-old lawyer who works in the city, decided to spend his lunch break buying flowers and queuing to place them at the makeshift shrine. He watched the events unfold on television and couldn’t sleep on Tuesday night. He woke up the next morning, heard the news and “felt sick”.

He didn’t know the hostages but felt an empathy and connection with them. “It could have been me – or my colleagues. [The victims] were office workers just like me.

“I get the whole coffee thing, just going out in the morning to get a coffee with your workmates then back to work. That time of the year, in the city, winding down, being relaxed. Then this … ”

Right now “the feeling is just sadness. That’s it, really, overwhelming sadness that this happened in our city.”

Marian Robins, 64, said: “I am here because I have a daughter the same age as Katrina Dawson. I felt like I had to come here to show that I care. But I look around at this – at all these people – and it’s really hard not to be affected by it. And all these flowers… doesn’t it smell nice?”

A couple next to me had come 45 minutes on the train to place flowers on the memorial. They now stood at the barricades and watched other people leave their tributes.

“[The hostages] were just normal people. I don’t feel fear or anger, just sadness and disbelief this happened,” said Peter, who did not want to give his surname. As the bagpipe behind us played Amazing Grace he choked up and started to cry. “It’s too much for me. I have to go.”

There were Red Cross chaplains comforting people who looked upset or disoriented, plus a man with a sign that said: “Free Hugs.”

Phoebe Findlayson, 17, from Bronte, watched the siege play out on Twitter and was energised by the anti-racism hashtag #illridewithyou. She came into the city and joined thousands of others at Martin Place, but instead of dropping off flowers she started chalking the hashtag around the precinct.

She handed chalk around and in an hour a large section of the block near the Lindt cafe was marked with peace slogans. “I love the idea that something so beautiful, peaceful and hopeful could come out of something so terrible,” she said.

Over and over again, people with flowers in the queue said they were here to “pay our respects”.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

yeah it would have ended up being way worse

same day that happened, 6 people died from a single gunman in the US, nobody cared cos over there it happens way more regularly.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Those hostages would have no practical reason for a concealed carry. Most were lawyers/barristers, managers and cafe staff. They would be in and out of secure facilities day in day out and a concealed carry would probably become a nuisance.
If you want pure safety check out the phillipines. armed security guards at every single maccas, pharmacy (ATM's inside) and servos.

Your more likely to be hit by a bus than shit like this happening. I personally don't trust most idiots with firearms since most people that "carry" don't have the time to spend 2 hours at the range every weekend.

One big major fuckup by the police is how the fuck does this guy still have a firearms license after being charged with ACCESSORY TO MURDER.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
If you want pure safety check out the phillipines. armed security guards at every single maccas, pharmacy (ATM's inside) and servos.
I been to Philippines and the reason for that is because things like those are quite common there. I assume as things like these get common, we'll end up like Philippines

One big major fuckup by the police is how the fuck does this guy still have a firearms license after being charged with ACCESSORY TO MURDER.
Getting the weapon illegally would be one option, or he would have gotten it before he faced the murder charge

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I been to Philippines and the reason for that is because things like those are quite common there. I assume as things like these get common, we'll end up like Philippines

Getting the weapon illegally would be one option, or he would have gotten it before he faced the murder charge
Like any license, they can be revoked.

And no Australia would not become like the phillipines, we don't have 9 year olds making 1911s in the backyard.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
One of the partners at work didn't come in today and has taken some time off because he happened to be a friend of Katrina Dawson since uni.

It's a really morose and solemn atmosphere around work and Martin Place in general. A lot of bloodshot eyes :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)