• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MATH 1131 / 1141 exam tips from veterans (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm in the same position as you.

But with 2 of my subjects :p

nifty03

HSC
lol that reminds me.. i only have 1 day after maths exam to cram my psychology..
that's another promising fail there. :(
thank god psychology exam is just 120 multiple choices... i'll be rolling my rubber often :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Same. I do Psychology as well. But I got Computing the day after Psychology, so I'm barely going to study for Psych.

It's actually 130 questions. 16 of them come from methodology which I so CBF studying.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Lesson to be learnt, GO TO LECTURES.

And as sunny said, stop panicing. I know that you havn't had uni exams before, and you don't know what to expect, but calm down, take a deep breath and study sensibly. Do not expecct to be able to answer every q in every exam like the goal was in high school, it just isn't the same at uni.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
The tests arn't that bad...
It's juss calculus thats murder...
Too many concepts to remember...
Besides that, shouldn't be too difficult...

edit: sorry of I upset sum ppl :p

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Can't agree more about going to lectures. Its very true.

Even if you go to the lectures ending up half asleep, you'd be suprised at the end of the session how much you actually DID pick up.

Lectures will either be one of two things

1) Its all good, you understand everything that comes out of the lecturer's mouth.

2) You don't understand everything, but you get bits and pieces of things.

More often than not, its the second case - you only have a rough idea of whats going on in a topic. When you come to study yourself for the finals, it'll make more sense and you'll be saying to yourself "oh so thats what the lecturer was talking about!"

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sunny
Can't agree more about going to lectures. Its very true.

Even if you go to the lectures ending up half asleep, you'd be suprised at the end of the session how much you actually DID pick up.

Lectures will either be one of two things

1) Its all good, you understand everything that comes out of the lecturer's mouth.

2) You don't understand everything, but you get bits and pieces of things.

More often than not, its the second case - you only have a rough idea of whats going on in a topic. When you come to study yourself for the finals, it'll make more sense and you'll be saying to yourself "oh so thats what the lecturer was talking about!"
Watching grass grow is better than going to a discrete lecture :rolleyes:, oh and bdm for that matter :p

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
heh reminds me of richard's extension lecture on "teaching". Most lecturer don't seem to want to know how to "lecture", or attend courses on "teaching". Perhaps the reason my attention span on 1711 is infinitely more than other subjects..

Oh, and im glad im not the only one in this (kind of) boat. Time to upgrade boat plating.. sinkage prevention :p

oh and I completely agree with BDM lectures :p

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun

Oh, and im glad im not the only one in this (kind of) boat. Time to upgrade boat plating.. sinkage prevention :p
HMAS Discrete :p

nifty03

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
16 of them come from methodology which I so CBF studying.
I second that. I failed to c the point of learning those stuff in method lectures.

Originally posted by McLake
Lesson to be learnt, GO TO LECTURES.
Point well taken. but since i am not doing maths1B after this... heheh we'll c about that. ;)

TheKey

HSC
if u get 50 raw, any chance of them scaling u down so u fail? And while on that subject, do u guys know anyone who has failed MATH1131 with an overall mark of >50%? (im still secretly hoping i only need to pass the oerall thing, not the exam alone)

Oh and any tips on how these people mark this exam, like when they ask you to state a theorem, should u fully try to make it mathematical and maybe leave few things out because u dont know how to write it matematically, or should you try and explain it in full english..

i hate how there is no marks allocations to each question so u dont know how much things are worth, but are all 6 qs given equal weight?

thanks, we ave the exam tomorow, s anything else you guys can remember would be greatly appreciated

Farnarcle

I never got the past papers book!

!!!

Oh well, I should be fine as long as they keep to stuff we learnt.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
if u get 50 raw, any chance of them scaling u down so u fail?
I don't think they can scale you down to a fail ...

Oh and any tips on how these people mark this exam, like when they ask you to state a theorem, should u fully try to make it mathematical and maybe leave few things out because u dont know how to write it matematically, or should you try and explain it in full english..
Do both maths and english. They will try to give you marks if you show understanding (unlike HSC)

i hate how there is no marks allocations to each question so u dont know how much things are worth, but are all 6 qs given equal weight?
Read what the front of the exam paper says. There is no garuntee that the marking scheme will be the same as last years exam.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
good luck tomorrow people (im gonna sleep now). Good rest is required for optimum performance.. in figuring out where the square house is.

anybody got spare gmail invitations for me? :D </offtopic>

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
good luck tomorrow people (im gonna sleep now). Good rest is required for optimum performance.. in figuring out where the square house is.

anybody got spare gmail invitations for me? :D </offtopic>
Maths is in the race course :confused:

yc

Oh God!

I'm so screwed with calc! who the hell invented calc! I'll kill them! My forehead is going to be permantely frowned.

:( Maybe the maths fairy will visit me in my sleep and grant me special powers.

asdf

HSC
Down with calculas!!

btw, how long does it take for them to mark the exams?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Down with maths!!!!

I'm not sure how long it takes but they only tell you your final scaled mark. So you don't get your actual exam mark back.

And you can't really work it out from your assessments since they scale the raw final mark, which is everything added together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)