Math 1A (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
*McLake buts in with irrelevent comment*

I ran into the Discrete Maths lecturer today (John Steele). It's weird to see lectures outside the uni, freaked me out ...

*Back to slighlty more relevent things*

Finite is insanely hard ...

yoshi

Originally posted by McLake
I ran into the Discrete Maths lecturer today (John Steele). It's weird to see lectures outside the uni, freaked me out ...
Dude I've seen him a few times... the train on the sutherland line (onto his way home I guess), and somewhere in a shopping centre. I found it quite distrubing.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
"ultra hard....insanely hard...."

great.
... or.. arh crap....
i'm not a big maths freak as well..

OH WELL, I HAVE GREAT 2nd year pals like you ppl to help me hahaha

sunny

meh.
HSC
You mean you think having done the course means we all know the work?

HA!

Thats a funny one.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I remember some of it - i have all the notes and I did buy the textbook which I love :p Seriously, there is some REALLY interesting stuff in there.

Some of it is just really dumb though - I hate probability and the 'pigeon-hole principle' was just.. STUPID. It looks so easy. It is so difficult.

mp3mojo

now my turn to blab on bout maths 1A, discrete & finite.

ive also done 4U maths, it's very useful for maths1A when it cums to the complex number & integration by substitution topics - cos u've done them, so u can skip those 9am maths lectures :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. But other than dat its not much difference.

If u keep up with the tut work & clear up problems u hve in tuts i think maths 1A should be fine for ppl who havent done 3/4U maths. BTW u lucky ppl this year get 2 maths tuts per week!! :D :D :D

oh discrete... its a quite difficult subject, some of the questions u do are similar to the ones u find in the maths competition. It may take some time for you to understand the concepts etc, but when u get it & start applying it, its very interesting. Esp learnin how maths can be applied in the strangest ways. NB Hisrchorn is great discrete tutor!! but 'sometimes' he does go off track :D :D & havin done 2U or 3U or even 4U maths will not benefit u much with discrete, dunno if dats really a good thing or not.

finite... arrr... well it was interesting at times... with encoding & decoding messages. i think one of the reasons why this subject is hard is because lectures are 4-6, which is quite late & u only hve tuts every 2-3 weeks, so ur practically on ur own most of the time. But the lecturer is quite interesting.

Last edited:

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
BTW u lucky ppl this year get 2 maths tuts per week!!
Didn't we always have two maths tutes per week for maths 1A and 1B (both higher & normal) ? One for algebra, and one for calculus? Well my first year did (2003).

mp3mojo

Originally posted by wogboy
Didn't we always have two maths tutes per week for maths 1A and 1B (both higher & normal) ? One for algebra, and one for calculus? Well my first year did (2003).
did we?... thought we had 2 lectures (1 algebra, 1 calculus) but we only hve 1 tut... or mayb we did hve 1 algebra & 1 calculus tut per week heeeehhee :D :D :D :D :D - ive got a real bad memory....

sunny

meh.
HSC
4 hours of lectures a week, 2 algebra and 2 calculus and two tutes a week, one calculus and one algebra = 6hpw.

mp3mojo

thnx for clearing things up :) though it was the first time dat i was happy for not being born in 1985 or 1986 :D :D

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by yoshi
Nope I didn't do the bridging course.
hmm today the lecturer was saying that he knew of only one person (or there was only one person) who passed 1131 without 3u or bridging course. lol would that be you? It was the lecturer was Peter something. :D

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
Originally posted by asdf
hmm today the lecturer was saying that he knew of only one person (or there was only one person) who passed 1131 without 3u or bridging course. lol would that be you? It was the lecturer was Peter something. :D
yeh i was i that class. i laughed too cause im only done 2 unit.

lungke

HSC
ha. Dont listen to Peter Brown he juxt fuxt up by his pure mathematics.

I had him for the bridging course, and i didnt find him that good. His teaching methods are screwed.

I know atleast 3 people who had done 2 unit only and took on 1131 with out 3unit base and still passed, by pass i mean >50 BUT! <60 :D

yc

I haven't done 3unit and today after the calc lecture I thought "holy crap I'm screwed".

Then I got home and looked at my very rushed notes and realised it was just new symbols, the concepts weren't tough but I was too distracted by the speed of the lesson to realise.

That's just first lect, I know it will become much harder but I think I can muster a pass :) whole bunch of class exams coming up so we'll see how it goes.

What happens if you do really bad in the first class test and you decide the course is too much for you? Can you pick up the lower maths course straight away or do you have to wait till next semester?

sunny

meh.
HSC
MATH1131 is already the lower maths class.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
MATH1131 is already the lower maths class.
Theres actually a lower one. You can do it now and complete math1131 during summer or something.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I went for the lecture today...

Sounds hard.....like all harder 4U stuff :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)