MATH1041 - Statistics (1 Viewer)

Existentialism

HSC
N/A
Just wondering...

What is this course like?

Is there any level of Assumed Knowledge that would help (2U Math and so forth)...?

Or is it basically something anyone can do well in w/o doing a certain HSC Course?

nottellingu

HSC
Very little statistics are taught in 3u/4u maths. I think students who did general maths will be better prepared but the handbook doesnt have any pre-requisite requirements so if you work hard you should be fine.

Lydia_88

HSC
id second that as well. i knew someone who did general maths who did 1041 and was fine. just as long as you do your work

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Very little statistics are taught in 3u/4u maths. I think students who did general maths will be better prepared but the handbook doesnt have any pre-requisite requirements so if you work hard you should be fine.
This is true. (There are some places that say 'The assumed knowledge is HSC Mathematics 2U' but they're lying.)

id second that as well. i knew someone who did general maths who did 1041 and was fine. just as long as you do your work
So is this.

I did general maths, am generally not too brilliant at maths-related things, but I managed to get a high distinction in math1041. :eek: (Sorry if that sounds braggy. However it does prove that you don't need to be a maths whiz to do well in stats, just put in enough work.)

Manipp

HSC
Ok, Math1041 - Piss Easy. To give a concrete example, I haven't done any math since year 10, and I got 89 HD. Highest mathematics you need is some basic algebra (regression is linear equations). I've (since) taught myself some more advanced maths, but at the time, I didn't need to know anything apart from what to do in basic algebra. They teach you everything basically from scratch.

FAR more important is to understand the concepts behind it, not the math.

Lydia_88

HSC
yet i have to do this course next semester......looks like there are good reviews here,,,:drink:

domoku

HSC
just a quick question... is the math1041 recommended textbook worth buying?

Lydia_88

HSC
Hi everyone,

i have to do this course next semester (im in my final year, and its a requirement for my safety major)... and i haven't done any math since first year (i did 1131, which i passed)..btw this was back in '07...

do the lecturers put their notes up on blackboard / online or is it all in the course notes booklet?

thanks heaps!

Tim035

HSC
Very easy course, but important in understanding and interpreting data you will read in scientific journals.

Lydia_88

HSC
A good colleague of mine gave me her notes and txtbook for MATH1041, so i am prepared for next sem :lol:..but i'll still also go to class :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)