MATH1081 Discrete Maths (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Discrete Maths Sem 2 2016

Wait what? Now I'm confused.

I resolved my question mainly based off something like this:

I was wondering why something like this 'function' is not surjective:

But then I realised that it's not a function because when x<0, there are no output values.

(Edit: Or maybe I do actually. I think I might've abused the term "range")
Which thing was confusing you?

Well the second function isn't well-defined because the given "codomain" isn't really a codomain at all (a codomain should contain all the function values, but it clearly doesn't here. I.e. if f: X -> Y is a well-defined function, we should have f(x) ∈ Y for all x ∈ X, but that's not the case for your second Q., since e.g. f(-1) = (-1)^3 = -1, which is not in [0, ∞).).

leehuan

HSC

Which thing was confusing you?

Well the second function isn't well-defined because given "codomain" isn't really a codomain at all (a codomain should contain all the function values, but it clearly doesn't here).
Terminology. Resolved it in my mind just now.

Yeah cause they threw stuff like the first and second ones at us and they also said "a relation is a function if every element in the domain has exactly one corresponding element in the codomain". If an element in the domain didn't have a corresponding value in the codomain it fails the condition to be a function.

I think, in other words, if an element in the domain does not have a defined value in the codomain it's not a function either. The concept of "undefined" is not permitted.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

True or false

If a function is monotone on it's domain, it is injective iff it is continuous on its entire domain.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

false, second statement doesnt always mean first will be true, tho to write it up formally...

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

True or false

If a function is monotone on it's domain, it is injective iff it is continuous on its entire domain.
Not necessarily?

The discontinuous jump could empty out part of the domain.

Unless I don't understand the definition of injective...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

leehuan

HSC

Oh so replace <=> with just <= ?

(Which was what I meant. Not sure where I got iff from)

leehuan

HSC

An easy counter case is f(m,n)=2. But how do I show that

seanieg89

HSC

There are lots of ways. Firstly note that you can assume that m and n are non-negative without loss of generality.

You can then do it using the fact that (m-n)(m+n)=2.

An alternative approach is based on something sometimes called the discrete inequality.

If m>n, then m >= n+1 since we are working with integers. Hence...

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

An easy counter case is f(m,n)=2. But how do I show that

so i get your first line, that you want to show that no (m,n) will map to 2

use difference of two squares and the fact that 2 is a prime number, that should work

leehuan

HSC

Very dumb question.

So I get why lcm(223553, 253352)=253553

Why is lcm(0,3) undef.?

leehuan

HSC

Two questions please. Firstly something somewhat large.
Getting lost with the identity function, as to the identity "on what". Please clarify

So this is the proof that we did in class. Everything makes sense EXCEPT for the identity part which confuses me.

My question is basically, how did they know which set to use as the subscript on the identity function?

And a somewhat smaller question (hopefully): Just regarding the inverse image of a set (under a function). Is the following statement true?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Getting lost with the identity function, as to the identity "on what". Please clarify

So this is the proof that we did in class. Everything makes sense EXCEPT for the identity part which confuses me.

My question is basically, how did they know which set to use as the subscript on the identity function?

And a somewhat smaller question (hopefully): Just regarding the inverse image of a set (under a function). Is the following statement true?

For your last Q., yes, that's true.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

leehuan

HSC

Ahhh thanks :) I sorta thought in that direction after I posted but got lost and needed it cleared up

leehuan

HSC

Please check my working. There's no solutions again :(
(I took out a few trivial steps to reduce reading)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Please check my working. There's no solutions again :(
(I took out a few trivial steps to reduce reading)

I think you just made a typo in the second last line (left out a 3 as a coefficient for the first sum, but I'm sure you had it in your working out on paper), but otherwise looks good. You can (and should!) test formulas like this with easy values of n, e.g. n = 1 or 2 etc.

leehuan

HSC

I think you just made a typo in the second last line (left out a 3 as a coefficient for the first sum, but I'm sure you had it in your working out on paper), but otherwise looks good. You can (and should!) test formulas like this with easy values of n, e.g. n = 1 or 2 etc.
Oh of course! Thanks :) could be a handy tip for the actual test. (Too bad it's non calculator haha)

And just one more please

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Oh of course! Thanks :) could be a handy tip for the actual test. (Too bad it's non calculator haha)

And just one more please

Even without a calculator, we could test n = 1 for that sum decently easily, because then we don't need to sum up terms for the LHS, making it the easiest case to test, (just calculating the RHS would need some work, but it's still pretty easy). In general also it's a good idea to check any formulas or answers you get for maths problems by checking simple or extreme cases and seeing if they match your intuition or explicit calculation (because sometimes simple cases' answers can be explicitly calculated with relative ease, and thus compared against your general formula).

And yeah, your working is correct for that last Q. :) (If you're worried about pendantic markers etc., you might want to calculate the value of the quadratic when x = -3 to explicitly show it's greater than or equal to 5.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)